Strange problems with firefox

Robbie

Jun 9, 2005, 10:02:45 AM6/9/05
Hi

I have an occassional problem with using firefox, I was wondering if
anyone has ever encountered this and can advise.

Basically, after a while of using FF I find I can't get pages to load,
nothing happens, I can't load any sites and clicking on links doesn't
launch a new FF browser etc (it's like the browser has gone to sleep!).
I then close down the browser and attempt to relaunch it. Instead of FF
launching, profile manager appears. At this point I close down my
computer, restart and then all is well again. At this point, everything
else on my computer is still working fine - including IE6 and
Thunderbird etc.

It doesn't happen all the time and it doesn't always happen when I've
been using FF for days without clearing the cache, so it can't be the
problems in that area. Plus I tend to only visit message boards and
sites low in graphics. I've deleted FF, re-installed. I have a back up
profile that I can use. But it happens about once a week and without any
real warning, other than the internet seems as it is going sluggish (ie
waiting for a site to load then nothing responds at all).

Any ideas?

I'm on WXP, SP1, with a fairly decent (by my standards!) computer, 256k
RAM, 2.66ghz processor.

Thanks in advance

Robbie

Jim Donovan

Jun 9, 2005, 7:43:16 PM6/9/05
Hi Robbie

I used to experience this problem once and found that if you go into
Task Manager and kill the firefox process, you can then relaunch the
browser, I find after awhile with Firefox if you have a boatload of
extensions, it does seem to wander off and forget to load pages or
refresh, I have noticed this on a few occasions when viewing or posting
to forums. (I stick with the basic browser and ignore most of the
extensions, I found the worst to be the no java script extension)

Jim

Robbie

Jun 9, 2005, 11:05:58 PM6/9/05

Thanks!

I'll try what you suggested next time it happens.

Robbie

KickapooElectric

Jun 10, 2005, 1:54:10 AM6/10/05

If you get the profile manager, it means something is holding
another instance of Fx open. I find java does this. Fx used the
java plugin for something, but java didn't close correctly when
finished with the java usage. You'll need to open taskmanager
and close down the other Fx instance. I like to use Process
Explorer, which you can set to take the place of taskmanager.
+~KE~-