Using OpenGL with XUL

JanakiRam

Jun 10, 2007, 12:51:53 PM6/10/07
Hi ALL,

I'm trying to port an opengl based project to XULRunner
based application. I've read some blogs talking about Canvas element
for drawing 2d graphics in XULRunner application. But couldn't find
any information about 3d grahics.

Please provide some pointers on evaluating porting
capabilies of XULRunner for 3d grachics applications

Thanks in Advance.

-JanakiRam

JanakiRam

Jun 11, 2007, 12:53:59 PM6/11/07
Hi Gavin,

Thanks for the initial response.

I've seen the mogle.mozdev.org site - this one seems to
be updated on 2005 and its preent on Linux. I'm trying to port the
opengl based graphics applicationto Mac and Window.

Please provide some more pointers on this.

Thanks in Advance.

-JanakiRam.

On Jun 10, 10:09 pm, Gavin Doughtie <g...@doughtie.com> wrote:
> Take a look at mogle.mozdev.org and blog.vlad1.com. Good luck!

Arivald

Jun 12, 2007, 3:03:31 AM6/12/07
JanakiRam pisze:

In XUL/JavaScript you can write multi-platform GUI, but OpenGL part
should be done in native, shared binary. This binary should implement
XCOM interface, to be accessible from XUL. Or this binary may be
standalone program, and XUL application will be only front-end to this
program. Anyway, there is no sense using OpenGl from JS, it will be very
inefficient.

If You simply want to make multi-platform, OpenGL application, then you
better check wxWidgets library (http://www.wxwidgets.org/). It is
multi-platform library, compatible at source code level. It have
built-in many helper classes, so you will have no need to worry about
platform specific issues. As far as i remember, there is also class to
do multi-platform OpenGL (google for wxOpenGL).

This library, in conjunction with GCC/G++ (c & c++ compiler, also
multi-platform) you may create one source code tree, which builds to
native Win32/Unix/Linux/Mac binaries. If you configure GCC to be
cross=platform, then you may build all binaries on one, your favorite,
operating system.

--
Arivald

Klaus Nowikow

Jun 12, 2007, 4:50:12 AM6/12/07

It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but I solved a similar
problem by drawing into a native window (using the VTK C++ library),
and making that window a child of an element in a XUL window.
See my thread "Embedding native drawables" on this NG.

HTH,
Klaus