Nacl on other browsers

Alexandre Ferrieux

Apr 4, 2011, 6:22:22 AM4/4/11
to native-cli...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm sorry to ask this, especially as a great fan of Chrome personally, but ...
... as we are getting up to speed with Tcl on Nacl, some people
discovering Nacl at the same time are asking questions like:

"So this is Chrome-specific ? Better stick to JS which works everywhere"

To handle this kind of questions transparently, I'd like to know the
up-to-date status and plans regarding:

- Nacl as an universal NPAPI plug-in, to be loaded in FF for example

- ChromeFrame in IE: can it host Nacl ?

-Alex

Derek Schuff

Apr 4, 2011, 8:57:49 AM4/4/11
to native-cli...@googlegroups.com
NaCl used to be an ordinary NPAPI plugin, and worked on Firefox etc. Recently they have transitioned to PPAPI (aka Pepper2) which is a replacement for NPAPI, a new browser-plugin interface, which is currently only implemented in Chrome. I believe Google is/was working with other browser vendors to try to get PPAPI standardized and into other browsers, but I haven't heard anything about the status of that in a while.

Not sure about Chrome Frame...

Alexandre Ferrieux

Apr 4, 2011, 9:21:59 AM4/4/11
to native-cli...@googlegroups.com, Derek Schuff
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Derek Schuff <derek....@gmail.com> wrote:
> NaCl used to be an ordinary NPAPI plugin, and worked on Firefox etc.
> Recently they have transitioned to PPAPI (aka Pepper2) which is a
> replacement for NPAPI, a new browser-plugin interface, which is currently
> only implemented in Chrome. I believe Google is/was working with other
> browser vendors to try to get PPAPI standardized and into other browsers,
> but I haven't heard anything about the status of that in a while.
> Not sure about Chrome Frame...

Thanks. Any firm answer from you guys, dear Googlers ?

-Alex

Ian Ni-Lewis

Apr 4, 2011, 2:41:38 PM4/4/11
to native-cli...@googlegroups.com, Alexandre Ferrieux, Derek Schuff
We are passionate about making NaCl a standard across all browsers. Our efforts in this area are ongoing.

As you probably know, the rule in Web standards is "implementation wins." So we're concentrating on getting a good quality implementation out the door. We're doing that in Chrome. That doesn't mean that NaCl is intended to be "Chrome only," just that we have to start somewhere.
Ian

-Alex

Ian Ni-Lewis
Developer Advocate
Google Game Developer Relations

Pierre Chicoine

Apr 4, 2011, 3:37:41 PM4/4/11
to native-cli...@googlegroups.com
And speaking for a group of us developers: We're behind you and what you are doing and hope that nothings stands in your way of accomplishing this feat of software engineering.

Speaking for myself, being a developer for 3 decades and having created some very important pivotal software programs in the early days of micro computers, I can say that it is only when enough time passes that we really come to understand how deeply we affect the human race. My experience of cause and effect sees what Native Client will do for us all.

Thank you for your efforts.

DONG XINSHU

Apr 4, 2011, 9:05:42 AM4/4/11
to native-cli...@googlegroups.com
I'm working on an old version of NaCl (r2937) with Firefox. Generally it works fine, but it does break occasionally.

Regards,
Xinshu

siba samal

Apr 5, 2011, 2:30:47 AM4/5/11
to native-cli...@googlegroups.com, Ian Ni-Lewis, Alexandre Ferrieux, Derek Schuff
Dear Ian,

Any plans ahead to make PPAPI standardized, which is the backbone of NaCl??

Thanks
Siba

Alexandre Ferrieux

Apr 5, 2011, 3:04:02 AM4/5/11
to Ian Ni-Lewis, native-cli...@googlegroups.com, Derek Schuff
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 8:41 PM, Ian Ni-Lewis <ile...@google.com> wrote:
> We are passionate about making NaCl a standard across all browsers. Our
> efforts in this area are ongoing.
> As you probably know, the rule in Web standards is "implementation wins." So
> we're concentrating on getting a good quality implementation out the door.
> We're doing that in Chrome. That doesn't mean that NaCl is intended to be
> "Chrome only," just that we have to start somewhere.

OK, makes sense, of course :)

Any plans regarding the Android-bundled browser (assuming completion
of the ARM-based Nacl sandbox) ?

-Alex

Ian Ni-Lewis

Apr 5, 2011, 3:55:25 PM4/5/11