Future of Mudballs

Sean Ross

Jun 29, 2009, 5:21:16 PM6/29/09
to mudb...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
First off, thanks to all who have contributed to the writing and
testing of mudballs, you have all helped take
mudballs from a little side project to a truly useful piece of
software.

Now for the bad news,

I'm afraid to announce that, due to various changes in my life, I am
unable to continue maintaining
and developing mudballs from this point on as I no longer have the
time nor energy available to
devote to the project.

Unfortunately this means that, unless some energetic individual is
willing to step forward and
pick up where I am leaving off[1], there will be no further
development on the Mudballs ecosystem
or the Mudballs source code. I know that this is a surprising and
somewhat unexpected event and
I'm sorry for luring people to a a new platform only to stop
developing for it.

My apologies for dropping this project at such short notice.

Regards,
Sean.

1] If you are that brave individual(s) then please contact me to
discuss taking over the running of this project, as I will
be available to help people get up to speed on the codebase, design
decisions and future plans (although you are free
to change those as you see fit).

Paul Onions

Jul 8, 2009, 5:18:33 AM7/8/09
to mudballs
On Jun 29, 10:21 pm, Sean Ross <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

>   I'm afraid to announce that, due to various changes in my life, I am
> unable to continue maintaining
>   and developing mudballs from this point on as I no longer have the
> time nor energy available to
>   devote to the project.

This is very sad news. I had high hopes that a project such as this
would help to increase Lisp's popularity by giving easy access to high
quality libraries. I can only assume that you must be undergoing some
severe personal upheaval to cause such a change of heart. It couldn't
have been an easy decision.

I think you have done excellent work here in developing the Mudballs
system, and it would be a real shame to see the project stall now. Is
there anyone preparing to take over?

Paul

Sean Ross

Jul 8, 2009, 6:14:34 AM7/8/09
to mudb...@googlegroups.com

On 8 Jul 2009, at 10:18, Paul Onions wrote:

> On Jun 29, 10:21 pm, Sean Ross <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm afraid to announce that, due to various changes in my life, I
>> am
>> unable to continue maintaining
>> and developing mudballs from this point on as I no longer have the
>> time nor energy available to
>> devote to the project.
>
> This is very sad news. I had high hopes that a project such as this
> would help to increase Lisp's popularity by giving easy access to high
> quality libraries. I can only assume that you must be undergoing some
> severe personal upheaval to cause such a change of heart. It couldn't
> have been an easy decision.

Thanks for your understanding,

> I think you have done excellent work here in developing the Mudballs
> system, and it would be a real shame to see the project stall now. Is
> there anyone preparing to take over?

I have one person who has expressed some interest but is concerned
about wether
he would be up to the task as his LISP (sic) abilities are still in
development.

So no one definite yet I'm afraid.

- sean

AngelP

Jul 10, 2009, 3:54:15 PM7/10/09
to mudballs
Hi,

I like the project, but totally do not know what it means to take over
of the project. May you please elaborate a bit?

What kind of skills are enough to keep the project alive.
How much time it will take?
How much money will cost?

I apologize if some questions sounds silly.

Regards, AngelP

Sean Ross

Jul 15, 2009, 8:31:01 AM7/15/09
to mudb...@googlegroups.com

On 10 Jul 2009, at 20:54, AngelP wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I like the project, but totally do not know what it means to take over
> of the project. May you please elaborate a bit?

Currently mudballs is in limbo and without any forward motion you can
think of it as
actually going backwards.
The person taking over the maintenance and running of the project
would typically do
tasks such as, releasing new version of projects (and/or finishing off
the public website) and
improving the mudballs code base to fix bugs and add new features.

> What kind of skills are enough to keep the project alive.
> How much time it will take?
> How much money will cost?

Time is really up to you, it will grow as much as someone is willing
to invest their
time in it.

Currently the server I'm running the site off costs me 15 pounds a
month.

> I apologize if some questions sounds silly.
>
> Regards, AngelP

not at all.

- Sean

A.J. Rossini

Jul 17, 2009, 9:02:00 AM7/17/09
to mudb...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Sean Ross<ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10 Jul 2009, at 20:54, AngelP wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I like the project, but totally do not know what it means to take over
>> of the project. May you please elaborate a bit?
>>

> Currently mudballs is in limbo and without any forward motion you can
> think of it as
> actually going backwards.
> The person taking over the maintenance and running of the project
> would typically do
> tasks such as, releasing new version of projects (and/or finishing off
> the public website) and
> improving the mudballs code base to fix bugs and add new features.
I'd be very interested in helping to support such an initiative --
however, Sean, will you be available to answer questions and sketch
out how you might've solved particular problems? (I'm assuming that
full design documentation doesn't quite exist in its entirety in a
single location :-)?

best,
-tony

blind...@gmail.com
Muttenz, Switzerland.
"Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we
can easily roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).

Drink Coffee: Do stupid things faster with more energy!

Sean Ross

Jul 17, 2009, 9:22:54 AM7/17/09
to mudb...@googlegroups.com

On 17 Jul 2009, at 14:02, A.J. Rossini wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Sean Ross<ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 10 Jul 2009, at 20:54, AngelP wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I like the project, but totally do not know what it means to take
>>> over
>>> of the project. May you please elaborate a bit?
>>>

>> Currently mudballs is in limbo and without any forward motion you can
>> think of it as
>> actually going backwards.
>> The person taking over the maintenance and running of the project
>> would typically do
>> tasks such as, releasing new version of projects (and/or finishing
>> off
>> the public website) and
>> improving the mudballs code base to fix bugs and add new features.
> I'd be very interested in helping to support such an initiative --

Fantastic

> however, Sean, will you be available to answer questions and sketch
> out how you might've solved particular problems? (I'm assuming that
> full design documentation doesn't quite exist in its entirety in a
> single location :-)?

Quite :)

I won't be vanishing into thin air and will be available to help
explain the
more opaque parts of the code base.

- sean

A.J. Rossini

Jul 17, 2009, 9:33:22 AM7/17/09
to mudb...@googlegroups.com

Excellent -- I'll be part of the team, then (have copies of stuff --
may I use this mailing list for general questions so that we can doc
the answers here, and personal mail for stuff which is questionable to
make completely public).

I've got a particular project with too many dependencies that I'd like
to deliver, versioning being a critcal component, so I might as well
leverage this rather than going through wheel-reinvention.

More later -- I'm assuming that your github repo's are up to date?

Sean Ross

Jul 17, 2009, 10:16:41 AM7/17/09
to mudb...@googlegroups.com

On 17 Jul 2009, at 14:33, A.J. Rossini wrote:

>> Quite :)
>>
>> I won't be vanishing into thin air and will be available to help
>> explain the
>> more opaque parts of the code base.
>
> Excellent -- I'll be part of the team, then (have copies of stuff --
> may I use this mailing list for general questions so that we can doc
> the answers here, and personal mail for stuff which is questionable to
> make completely public).
>
> I've got a particular project with too many dependencies that I'd like
> to deliver, versioning being a critcal component, so I might as well
> leverage this rather than going through wheel-reinvention.
>
> More later -- I'm assuming that your github repo's are up to date?

Yes, all my github repos are up to date.