34th Street Bus Data

Kaufman, Sarah

Apr 15, 2010, 11:30:32 AM4/15/10
to mtadevelop...@googlegroups.com

Hi developers,

I wanted to let you know about a new data opportunity: Along with the real-time bus information demo on 34th Street, we can provide an API to anyone who’s interested. A few items to consider:

1. This is a demo, so the data quality cannot be guaranteed.

2. The demo ends on August 10th, so the data stream will be cut off on that date.

We’ll have other companies demonstrating their bus AVL systems afterwards (likely in 6-month stretches), so I’ll fill you in on getting that data when the time comes.

If you’d like to test it out, please send me an email by COB Monday, April 19th. I’ll get you an API key and the associated documentation, which is generic – since this is a demo, we haven’t created NYC-specific documentation.

If you create something using the data, let me know what it is; I’d like to see how the data is being used.

Thank you,

Sarah

SARAH M. KAUFMAN
MTA New York City Transit

Projects Coordinator, Emerging and Intelligent Transportation Systems

2 Broadway 7th Floor New York, NY 10004 www.mta.info/nyct
sarah....@nyct.com twitter.com/NYCTSubwayScoop

Norman@kidsnyc

Apr 15, 2010, 11:48:39 AM4/15/10
to mtadevelop...@googlegroups.com
Sarah

Would like to get access to this data. But mostly the new sceds for the m22 bus so I can use it on my completed history info for an iPhone app. Things going great launching blogs galore and just got great news from the judge on my divorce. Typing this from her chambers in Supreme Court. Looking foward to doing more history apps based around mta bus routes and will try to work on the m34 and m15 next.

Nicholas Bergson-Shilcock

Apr 15, 2010, 12:12:33 PM4/15/10
to mtadevelop...@googlegroups.com
Excerpts from Kaufman, Sarah's message of Thu Apr 15 11:30:32 -0400 2010:

> Hi developers,
>
> I wanted to let you know about a new data opportunity: Along with the
> real-time bus information demo on 34th Street, we can provide an API to
> anyone who's interested. A few items to consider:
>
> 1. This is a demo, so the data quality cannot be guaranteed.
>
> 2. The demo ends on August 10th, so the data stream will be cut off on
> that date.
>

> We'll have other companies demonstrating their bus AVL systems
> afterwards (likely in 6-month stretches), so I'll fill you in on getting
> that data when the time comes.
>

> If you'd like to test it out, please send me an email by COB Monday,
> April 19th. I'll get you an API key and the associated documentation,
> which is generic - since this is a demo, we haven't created NYC-specific

> documentation.
>

> If you create something using the data, let me know what it is; I'd like
> to see how the data is being used.

Sarah, this is fantastic news. Thanks so much for moving forward with this so
quickly!

-Nick

> Thank you,
>
> Sarah
>

> SARAH M. KAUFMAN
> MTA New York City Transit
>
> Projects Coordinator, Emerging and Intelligent Transportation Systems
>

> 2 Broadway * 7th Floor * New York, NY 10004 * www.mta.info/nyct
> <http://www.mta.info/nyct>
> sarah....@nyct.com * twitter.com/NYCTSubwayScoop

David Evans

Apr 29, 2010, 9:06:03 AM4/29/10
to mtadeveloperresources
Is this route in the GTFS? Can't seem to find it.

On Apr 15, 11:30 am, "Kaufman, Sarah" <Sarah.Kauf...@nyct.com> wrote:
> Hi developers,
>
> I wanted to let you know about a new data opportunity: Along with the
> real-time bus information demo on 34th Street, we can provide an API to
> anyone who's interested. A few items to consider:
>
> 1. This is a demo, so the data quality cannot be guaranteed.
>
> 2. The demo ends on August 10th, so the data stream will be cut off on
> that date.
>
> We'll have other companies demonstrating their bus AVL systems
> afterwards (likely in 6-month stretches), so I'll fill you in on getting
> that data when the time comes.
>
> If you'd like to test it out, please send me an email by COB Monday,
> April 19th. I'll get you an API key and the associated documentation,
> which is generic - since this is a demo, we haven't created NYC-specific
> documentation.
>
> If you create something using the data, let me know what it is; I'd like
> to see how the data is being used.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Sarah
>
> SARAH M. KAUFMAN
> MTA New York City Transit
>
> Projects Coordinator, Emerging and Intelligent Transportation Systems
>
> 2 Broadway * 7th Floor * New York, NY 10004 *www.mta.info/nyct
> <http://www.mta.info/nyct>
> sarah.kauf...@nyct.com * twitter.com/NYCTSubwayScoop

Nicholas Bergson-Shilcock

Apr 29, 2010, 9:59:08 AM4/29/10
to mtadevelop...@googlegroups.com
Excerpts from David Evans's message of Thu Apr 29 09:06:03 -0400 2010:
> Is this route in the GTFS? Can't seem to find it.

The fixed schedule and route data for the M34 is in the NYCT Bus GTFS that's
available on mta.info.

The experimental real-time data is available via a separate REST API, which is
what you need the API key from Sarah for.

Best,
-Nick