Issue 190 in msysgit: 0 [main] sh 4540 handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

codesite...@google.com

Feb 9, 2009, 9:38:42 AM2/9/09
to msy...@googlegroups.com
Owner: ----

New issue 190 by orlando.agostinho: 0 [main] sh 4540 handle_exceptions:
Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=190

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Install http://www.powercmd.com/
2. Create GIT Project + add some file + commit
3. git log

It's supposed to see the normal log
and intead, i received:
0 [main] sh 4540 handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
45 [main] sh 4540 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
sh.exe.stackdump

git version 1.6.1.9.g97c34

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Attachments:
sh.exe.stackdump 1.3 KB

http://code.google.com/hosting/settings

rogerdpack

Feb 17, 2009, 12:58:46 PM2/17/09
to msysGit
I get this too.
C:\dev\ruby\ruby-benchmark-suite-cangiano>"c:\Program Files\Git
\bin"\git pull
0 [main] sh.exe" 3812 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
sh.exe.stackdump

C:\dev\ruby\ruby-benchmark-suite-cangiano>git pull

C:\dev\ruby\ruby-benchmark-suite-cangiano>"c:\Program Files\Git
\bin"\git pull
0 [main] sh.exe" 4784 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
sh.exe.stackdump
Already up-to-date.

C:\dev\ruby\ruby-benchmark-suite-cangiano>git pull

C:\dev\ruby\ruby-benchmark-suite-cangiano>"c:\Program Files\Git
\bin"\git pull
Already up-to-date.

then with a few trial runs it seems to work fine. Thoughts?
-=r

On Feb 9, 7:38 am, codesite-nore...@google.com wrote:
> Owner: ----
>
> New issue 190 by orlando.agostinho: 0 [main] sh 4540 handle_exceptions:
> Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATIONhttp://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=190
>
> What steps will reproduce the problem?
> 1. Installhttp://www.powercmd.com/
> 2. Create GIT Project + add some file + commit
> 3. git log
>
> What is the expected output? What do you see instead?
> It's supposed to see the normal log
> and intead, i received:
>   0 [main] sh 4540 handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
> 45 [main] sh 4540 open_stackdumpfile:Dumpingstacktrace to

codesite...@google.com

Feb 25, 2009, 7:20:51 PM2/25/09
to msy...@googlegroups.com

Comment #1 on issue 190 by rogerpack2005: 0 [main] sh 4540
handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=190

does disabling virus scanner and firewalls help?

rogerdpack

Feb 27, 2009, 4:08:43 PM2/27/09
to msysGit
don't know if this is old news, but was able to overcome this error:

C:\dev\rubyinstaller\config>git pull
0 [main] sh.exe" 7316 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
sh.exe.stackdump

by following this trail:
http://lists-archives.org/mingw-users/12776-msys-sh-stackdump-during-make.html

and copying the contents of

MSYS-1.0.11-20090105-dll.tar.gz

into my git stuffs.

now it works as expected.

C:\dev\rubyinstaller\config>git pull
remote: Counting objects: 24, done.←[K
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (15/15), done.←[K
remote: Total 17 (delta 10), reused 0 (delta 0)←[K
Unpacking objects: 100% (17/17), done.
From g...@github.com:rogerdpack/rubyinstaller

Thanks!
-=r

On Feb 25, 5:20 pm, codesite-nore...@google.com wrote:
> Comment #1 on issue 190 by rogerpack2005: 0 [main] sh 4540
> handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATIONhttp://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=190

Johannes Schindelin

Feb 27, 2009, 4:40:15 PM2/27/09
to rogerdpack, msysGit
Hi,

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, rogerdpack wrote:

> don't know if this is old news, but was able to overcome this error:
>

> C:\dev\rubyinstaller\config>git pull
> 0 [main] sh.exe" 7316 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
> sh.exe.stackdump
>

> by following this trail:
> http://lists-archives.org/mingw-users/12776-msys-sh-stackdump-during-make.html
>
> and copying the contents of
>
> MSYS-1.0.11-20090105-dll.tar.gz
>
> into my git stuffs.
>
> now it works as expected.
>
> C:\dev\rubyinstaller\config>git pull
> remote: Counting objects: 24, done.←[K
> remote: Compressing objects: 100% (15/15), done.←[K
> remote: Total 17 (delta 10), reused 0 (delta 0)←[K
> Unpacking objects: 100% (17/17), done.
> >From g...@github.com:rogerdpack/rubyinstaller

Could you please check out

http://groups.google.com/group/msysgit/web/msys-1.0.dll

uploaded by yours truly? (This dll has the advantage that it contains
Steffen's changes for the path mangling, which fixes ssh remotes such as
"repo.or.cz:/srv/git/git/dscho.git".)

Thanks,
Dscho

Roger Pack

Feb 27, 2009, 4:55:36 PM2/27/09
to Johannes Schindelin, msysGit
> Could you please check out
>
>        http://groups.google.com/group/msysgit/web/msys-1.0.dll
>
> uploaded by yours truly?  (This dll has the advantage that it contains
> Steffen's changes for the path mangling, which fixes ssh remotes such as
> "repo.or.cz:/srv/git/git/dscho.git".)

It seems to work splendidly also. There is a size difference, it
seems--this one and the current default arer 5MB, the other about
750KB.
Thanks for working on that.
-=r

Johannes Schindelin

Feb 27, 2009, 5:04:25 PM2/27/09
to Roger Pack, msysGit
Hi,

Good catch... I think it might be debugging information. Will try to find
some time to investigate next week.

> Thanks for working on that.

You're welcome,
Dscho

Johannes Schindelin

Mar 5, 2009, 11:20:45 AM3/5/09
to Roger Pack, msysGit
Hi,

Actually, the riddle is easily solved: we need to "strip.exe
msys-1.0.dll"...

Ciao,
Dscho

codesite...@google.com

Mar 10, 2009, 12:56:48 PM3/10/09
to msy...@googlegroups.com

Comment #2 on issue 190 by johannes.schindelin: 0 [main] sh 4540
handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=190

This may be fixed in the newest Git installer. If not, is it possible that
you have
a QuickCam driver installed?

codesite...@google.com

Mar 12, 2009, 10:16:56 PM3/12/09
to msy...@googlegroups.com

Comment #3 on issue 190 by johannes.schindelin: 0 [main] sh 4540
handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=190

Ping?

codesite...@google.com

Mar 16, 2009, 6:33:04 PM3/16/09
to msy...@googlegroups.com

Comment #4 on issue 190 by johannes.schindelin: 0 [main] sh 4540

codesite...@google.com

Mar 16, 2009, 6:55:09 PM3/16/09
to msy...@googlegroups.com

Comment #5 on issue 190 by aaroncraelius: 0 [main] sh 4540
handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=190

I am also getting a lot! of stack trace problems... This happens with a
lot of
commands. If I run git rebase, git mergetool... a few other things.
Almost to the
point of making it unusable.

codesite...@google.com

Mar 16, 2009, 6:59:10 PM3/16/09
to msy...@googlegroups.com

Comment #6 on issue 190 by johannes.schindelin: 0 [main] sh 4540
handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=190

aaroncraelius: at the risk of sounding like a parrot: do you have a
QuickCam driver
installed?

codesite...@google.com

Mar 16, 2009, 7:03:11 PM3/16/09
to msy...@googlegroups.com

Comment #7 on issue 190 by aaroncraelius: 0 [main] sh 4540
handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=190

Nope, and I just tried disabling my antivirus... Still comes up. Would you
like me
to send a stack trace?

codesite...@google.com

Mar 16, 2009, 7:11:14 PM3/16/09
to msy...@googlegroups.com

Comment #8 on issue 190 by johannes.schindelin: 0 [main] sh 4540
handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=190

Unfortunately, stacktraces on Windows are all but helpful (just check the
contents of
the attachment with the initial report and join the groaning). So it would
be more
helpful if you could install the net installer, remove the -O2 flag from
/git/Makefile, rebuild Git and run it in a debugger. If you need
assistance, let's
make a date -- via private mail, if you please.

codesite...@google.com

Mar 16, 2009, 8:59:43 PM3/16/09
to msy...@googlegroups.com

Comment #9 on issue 190 by cestrauss: 0 [main] sh 4540 handle_exceptions:
Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=190

To get a meaningful stack trace of a crash in a MSYS program:

1) Search the stack dump for the name of the program that caused the crash.

2) Convert the crash address (ip register) into a file:line number by
running

addr2line -e <program> <address>.

3) The whole stack trace can be recovered that way, by looking at the
addresses in
the "Function" column. Note that some addresses could be from the
msys-1.0.dll instead.

4) If you get no results, you may have to recompile the failing program
with debug
info enabled (-g flag) and save the result just before stripping the
symbols from it.

Regards,
Cesar

codesite...@google.com

Mar 17, 2009, 7:41:55 AM3/17/09
to msy...@googlegroups.com

Comment #10 on issue 190 by johannes.schindelin: 0 [main] sh 4540
handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=190

Thanks for that valuable piece of information! But for the love of God, I
only get
'??:0' from addr2line, even if I use /bin/addr2line. Are there some secret
tricks?

codesite...@google.com

Mar 17, 2009, 10:13:31 AM3/17/09
to msy...@googlegroups.com

Comment #11 on issue 190 by aaroncraelius: 0 [main] sh 4540
handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=190

Well guess what. I tried running the net installer and it crashes. Guess
how?

Receiving objects: 100% (3088/3088), 1.27 MiB | 471 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (2383/2383), completed with 136 local objects.
From git://repo.or.cz/git/mingw/4msysgit
- [tag update] junio-gpg-pub -> junio-gpg-pub
* [new tag] v1.6.1-msysgit1 -> v1.6.1-msysgit1
* [new tag] v1.6.1.msysgit.0 -> v1.6.1.msysgit.0
* [new tag] v1.6.2.msysgit.0 -> v1.6.2.msysgit.0
0 [main] sh.exe" 2888 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
sh.exe.st
ackdump
* error: Couldn't update submodule git!
INSTALLATION ABORTED

Any suggestions?

codesite...@google.com

Mar 17, 2009, 11:14:45 AM3/17/09
to msy...@googlegroups.com

Comment #12 on issue 190 by cestrauss: 0 [main] sh 4540 handle_exceptions:

johannes.schindelin wrote:
> Thanks for that valuable piece of information! But for the love of God,
> I only get '??:0' from addr2line, even if I use /bin/addr2line. Are
> there some secret tricks?

Please run:

nm sh.exe
nm msys-1.0.dll

Does it show the address of any function?

If yes, are they in range of the address you asked addr2line for?

Perhaps it would be best to supply the OP with unstripped versions of
sh.exe and
msys-1.0.dll, so one can be sure the addresses from his stack dump will
match with
the line number information you have.

One such unstripped version of sh.exe can be found within the msysCORE
tarball from
the MSYS download page:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=24963

codesite...@google.com

Mar 17, 2009, 11:49:53 AM3/17/09
to msy...@googlegroups.com

Comment #13 on issue 190 by johannes.schindelin: 0 [main] sh 4540
handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=190

Ah, that is the solution to the riddle.

codesite...@google.com

Apr 15, 2009, 6:43:16 PM4/15/09
to msy...@googlegroups.com

Comment #14 on issue 190 by kevinwatters: 0 [main] sh 4540
handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=190

For what it's worth, I saw these sh.exe crashes until I uninstalled Google
Desktop.
Whether it was DLL hell or network stack injection that was actually
causing the
segfaults, I couldn't tell you.

codesite...@google.com

Apr 17, 2009, 7:19:52 PM4/17/09
to msy...@googlegroups.com

Comment #15 on issue 190 by johanthart: 0 [main] sh 4540 handle_exceptions:
Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=190

I had the same issues. I also am a Google Desktop user, although the problem
persisted after stopping GD. Maybe uninstall should have worked.
Anyway, after a complete remove of git install, and reinstall of newest
version of
git, the problems were gone, anyway for 2 days now...

codesite...@google.com

May 7, 2009, 2:02:49 PM5/7/09
to msy...@googlegroups.com
Updates:

Comment #16 on issue 190 by johannes.schindelin: 0 [main] sh 4540

handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=190

Okay, a bit frustrating, as we seem to be unable to do anything about it,
but closed
nevertheless.

Thanks!

codesite...@google.com

May 14, 2009, 10:10:37 AM5/14/09
to msy...@googlegroups.com

Comment #17 on issue 190 by guillaume.boudreau: 0 [main] sh 4540
handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=190

To fix this on my machine, I extracted the file referenced here:
http://lists-archives.org/mingw-users/12776-msys-sh-stackdump-during-make.html
into C:\Program Files\Git, overwriting the existing exe & dll files.

sh.exe.stackdump are now things of the past!

codesite...@google.com

May 14, 2009, 11:26:22 AM5/14/09
to msy...@googlegroups.com

Comment #18 on issue 190 by johannes.schindelin: 0 [main] sh 4540
handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=190

You know, the funny thing is that we actually ship the 20090105 version of
msys-1.0.dll (it would have been nice to say so instead of posting a blank
link).

We actually have a few patches on top of the upstream version. You cannot
get the
benefits of those patches with the strategy you chose.

codesite...@google.com

May 15, 2009, 1:38:31 PM5/15/09
to msy...@googlegroups.com

Comment #19 on issue 190 by rogerpack2005: 0 [main] sh 4540
handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=190

as a note, seems that google desktop can cause this (as well as older
versions of
msys.dll)

C:\dev\ruby\ruby-benchmark-suite\rbs\macro-benchmarks\rails>tar -xzf
substruct_rel_1-
0-a6.tar.gz
0 [main] tar 4552 handle_exceptions: Exception:
STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
331 [main] tar 4552 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
tar.exe.stackdump

maybe tortoise svn could, too, or other programs that read files in the
background?

codesite...@google.com

Jun 8, 2009, 9:45:18 AM6/8/09
to msy...@googlegroups.com

Comment #20 on issue 190 by kwen.peterson: 0 [main] sh 4540
handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=190

I can confirm that myself and a fellow developer also experienced this
exact same
problem after installing Google Desktop.

I am running Git 1.6.2 & he is running Git 1.5.6.

codesite...@google.com

Jun 8, 2009, 10:10:31 AM6/8/09
to msy...@googlegroups.com

Comment #21 on issue 190 by johannes.schindelin: 0 [main] sh 4540
handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=190

kwen.peterson: your report is very helpful. However, I have no idea how to
proceed
from here. Probably "rebasing the .dll" helps, but what address to? And
how to
guarantee that there will be no other complication next year?

codesite...@google.com

Jun 13, 2009, 7:40:08 PM6/13/09
to msy...@googlegroups.com

Comment #22 on issue 190 by rogerpack2005: 0 [main] sh 4540
handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=190

does the problem occur from within git bash shell, too?

codesite...@google.com

Aug 7, 2009, 9:22:58 AM8/7/09
to msy...@googlegroups.com

Comment #23 on issue 190 by elazarl: 0 [main] sh 4540 handle_exceptions:
Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/issues/detail?id=190

The problem happens to me from the git bash shell, in `git stash list`. I
do have a
Google Desktop installed.