Git for Windows released

Johannes Schindelin

Apr 9, 2012, 11:28:27 PM4/9/12
to msy...@googlegroups.com, g...@vger.kernel.org
Hi all,

this is the big "Karsten Blees" release. It features the long-awaited
Unicode support that Karsten Blees worked so hard on. It can be downloaded
via http://msysgit.github.com/.

I also cannot thank enough Erik 'kusma' Faye-Lund for reviewing the
massive amount of work and not tiring before everything was done, after a
whopping 15 revisions of the patch series.

As all Git for Windows releases, this one, too, is dedicated to all the
people who contributed to make it better!

Ciao,
Johannes

P.S.: After Git for Windows 1.7.9 was downloaded 2� million times, maybe
this time we break the 4 million barrier... who nose?

Johannes Schindelin

Apr 9, 2012, 11:36:18 PM4/9/12
to msy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Mon, 9 Apr 2012, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> this is the big "Karsten Blees" release. It features the long-awaited
> Unicode support that Karsten Blees worked so hard on. It can be
> downloaded via http://msysgit.github.com/.
>
> I also cannot thank enough Erik 'kusma' Faye-Lund for reviewing the
> massive amount of work and not tiring before everything was done, after
> a whopping 15 revisions of the patch series.
>
> As all Git for Windows releases, this one, too, is dedicated to all the
> people who contributed to make it better!

After my recent merge and test suite bugfix commit, all tests pass for me,
at least when running them again ;-)

While releasing, I also realized that /share/WinGit/release.sh has two
small bugs:

1) when the tag .msysgit.0 exists already but points to HEAD, we should
not make a new tag, and

2) it downloads and installs mingw-w64, but it does not initialise the
git-cheetah submodule.

So... if someone feels up for being in the group to who the Git for
Windows releases are dedicated, there are two good opportunities to
harvest low-hanging fruit.

Ciao,
Johannes

Ciaran

Apr 10, 2012, 3:16:06 AM4/10/12
to Johannes Schindelin, msy...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 4:28 AM, Johannes Schindelin
<Johannes....@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi all,

As Always, a big thank you for (all of) your efforts :)

> this is the big "Karsten Blees" release. It features the long-awaited
> Unicode support that Karsten Blees worked so hard on. It can be downloaded
> via http://msysgit.github.com/.

Possibly irrelevant/erroneous, but does that mean the known issue in
the shipped release notes:

"git and bash have serious problems with non-ASCII file names (Issue 80, 159)."

Should now be removed ?

Cheers!
-cj

Pat Thoyts

Apr 10, 2012, 5:27:15 AM4/10/12
On 10 April 2012 04:36, Johannes Schindelin <Johannes....@gmx.de> wrote:
>P.S.: After Git for Windows 1.7.9 was downloaded 2ž million times, maybe

>this time we break the 4 million barrier... who nose?

Off by an order of magnitude - its around 300 thousand (2.7e5) :)
We average 2 downloads per minute and have done for a while now (over
a year at least).

Pat.

Johannes Schindelin

Apr 10, 2012, 1:23:41 PM4/10/12
to Pat Thoyts, msy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Ooops. I blame it on the late night. But then, mathematicians always make
those errors, the mantissa is always correct! ;-)

Ciao,
Dscho

Sebastian Schuberth

Apr 10, 2012, 2:00:43 PM4/10/12
On 10.04.2012 05:36, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> While releasing, I also realized that /share/WinGit/release.sh has two
> small bugs:
>
> 1) when the tag .msysgit.0 exists already but points to HEAD, we should
> not make a new tag, and

Ah, that has bothered me before, I'll come up with something.

--
Sebastian Schuberth

Sebastian Schuberth

Apr 10, 2012, 2:11:11 PM4/10/12
to Johannes Schindelin, msy...@googlegroups.com
On 10.04.2012 05:36, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> After my recent merge and test suite bugfix commit, all tests pass for me,
> at least when running them again ;-)

So "./t7602-merge-octopus-many.sh -v -i" passed for you? I'm seeing the
well known line ending issue in the expected vs. actual files with this one.

--
Sebastian Schuberth

Johannes Schindelin

Apr 10, 2012, 2:38:18 PM4/10/12
to Sebastian Schuberth, msy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sebastian,

d084f44f(Windows: make sure that merge-octopus only outputs LF line
endings) helped me avoid them...

;-)

Ciao,
Dscho

Sebastian Schuberth

Apr 10, 2012, 2:51:22 PM4/10/12
to Johannes Schindelin, msy...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 20:38, Johannes Schindelin
<Johannes....@gmx.de> wrote:

>> So "./t7602-merge-octopus-many.sh -v -i" passed for you? I'm seeing the
>> well known line ending issue in the expected vs. actual files with this
>> one.
>
> d084f44f(Windows: make sure that merge-octopus only outputs LF line
> endings) helped me avoid them...
>
> ;-)

My fault, thanks!

--
Sebastian Schuberth

Johannes Schindelin

Apr 10, 2012, 2:52:14 PM4/10/12
to Ciaran, msy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ciaran,

I looked at https://github.com/ciaranj/git and could not find it, let
alone a pull request...

Ciao,
Dscho

Ciaran

Apr 10, 2012, 3:00:21 PM4/10/12
to Johannes Schindelin, msy...@googlegroups.com

;) Haha, I'm more than happy to, I just wasn't sure if it was 'in need
of' fixing (hence me asking the question, presumably your answer
suggests this is incorrect, so I'll send a pull request your way)

- Cj.

> Ciao,
> Dscho

Ciaran

Apr 10, 2012, 3:10:51 PM4/10/12
to Johannes Schindelin, msy...@googlegroups.com

>>> Possibly irrelevant/erroneous, but does that mean the known issue in the
>>> shipped release notes:
>>>
>>> "git and bash have serious problems with non-ASCII file names (Issue 80,
>>> 159)."
>>>
>>> Should now be removed ?
>>
>> I looked at https://github.com/ciaranj/git and could not find it, let
>> alone a pull request...
>
> ;) Haha, I'm more than happy to, I just wasn't sure if it was 'in need
> of' fixing (hence me asking the question, presumably your answer
> suggests this is incorrect, so I'll send a pull request your way)
>
> - Cj.

Pull request sent. (
- Cj

Johannes Schindelin

Apr 10, 2012, 3:33:23 PM4/10/12
to Ciaran, msy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ciaran,

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012, Ciaran wrote:

Pull request merged & closed.

Thanks!
Dscho

P.S.: If only some Ruby-savvy person could take care of that hook to send
out pull request updates to this mailing list automatically...

Heiko Voigt

Apr 16, 2012, 12:13:56 PM4/16/12
to Johannes Schindelin, msy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dscho,

On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 10:36:18PM -0500, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> While releasing, I also realized that /share/WinGit/release.sh has two
> small bugs:
>
> 1) when the tag .msysgit.0 exists already but points to HEAD, we should
> not make a new tag, and
>
> 2) it downloads and installs mingw-w64, but it does not initialise the
> git-cheetah submodule.

Could you clarify what you mean by "not initialise"? Do you mean
initialising and updating the submodule? Shouldn't that be done by the
msysGit installer? Or is there something else?

Cheers Heiko

Johannes Schindelin

Apr 16, 2012, 1:41:32 PM4/16/12
to Heiko Voigt, msy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Heiko,

I mean that if I failed to do a "git submodule update --init
src/git-cheetah/" before running /share/WinGit/release.sh, it fails
ungracefully. It is a simple matter of testing whether
/src/git-cheetah/.git exists and initialising the submodule in the
negative case.

However, this is such a low-hanging fruit that one of the many lurkers on
this list who always wanted an opportunity to help could harvest it.

Ciao,
Dscho