Any way to do filter-branch on windows?

Osman Ullah

Apr 20, 2009, 4:04:43 PM4/20/09
to msysGit
I really need to split a subdirectory out into another git repository.
I know that msysgit does not include the filter-branch functionality
so I am wondering what I can possibly do to make this happen. I have
access to a linux box. Should I just do it there? Is there any way to
do it on Windows?

Johannes Schindelin

Apr 20, 2009, 5:51:10 PM4/20/09
to Osman Ullah, msysGit
Hi,

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Osman Ullah wrote:

> I know that msysgit does not include the filter-branch functionality

Oh? Did I forget to include it into 1.6.2.2?

Ciao,
Dscho

Osman Ullah

Apr 21, 2009, 11:05:21 AM4/21/09
to Johannes Schindelin, msysGit
I have 1.6.2.2-preview20090408 installed and it is saying that
filter-branch is not a git-command. So I guess you did. :) I was
surprised because I thought in an earlier e-mail discussion, you had
said you were going to merge it in.

Johannes Schindelin

Apr 21, 2009, 11:28:24 AM4/21/09
to Osman Ullah, msysGit
Hi,

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009, Osman Ullah wrote:

> I have 1.6.2.2-preview20090408 installed and it is saying that
> filter-branch is not a git-command. So I guess you did. :) I was
> surprised because I thought in an earlier e-mail discussion, you had
> said you were going to merge it in.

Ah, yes, I applied that patch, but _after_ releasing 1.6.2.2. So you
either have to wait a bit, or you try one of the temporary portable Gits
from here:

http://groups.google.com/group/msysgit/files

Note: filter-branch will be _slow_. There is no need to complain about
it, I know it ;-)

Ciao,
Dscho