FYI: Anomaly worked through: Thunderbird to 3.1 Mac OS X 10.6.4 Hangs on open

William Dorsey

Jun 28, 2010, 6:35:36 PM6/28/10
to support-t...@lists.mozilla.org
(I don't think anyone has seen any of this yet because first I had to sign up, then when I re-sent it it came from the wrong account.)

Disk Utility didn't find anything serious to repair, so I went to my back-up of the User>Library>Thunderbird>Profiles>*.default>Mail>folder>Inbox.sbd folder and replaced the 2008 Inbox and MSF files with the ones automatically backed up through SilverKeeper on the 25th. It (3.0.5) is "Indexing X of Y messages" as it proceeds through the sub-folders in the Inbox, so it looks as if it will be OK.
I will replace 3.0.5 with 3.1 when it finishes.
I won't send this again until I've completed these steps.

I have noticed for months that whenever I opened T-bird there would be a message in the lower left window frame "Deciding which messages to index," but it never seemed to decide before I quit. I don't know exactly what indexing is or why it has to be repeated; "rebuild mailbox" -- that I understand.

I think some readily available instructions or information about T-bird's indexing process -- its housekeeping(?) -- is advisable, particularly with respect to large folders (this main Inbox is 109 GB).
Now it is going through the folders in my second account, much smaller and much less frequently changed.
Now it is through.

OK, the 2008 Inbox or its MSF was corrupted. T-bird 3.1 opened correctly and I am now removing unwanted emails from my Amazon(.com) folder.

It was one of those situations of coincidence, as that folder or its MSF "broke" between 3.05's last use and 3.1's first use.

Begin forwarded message:

From: William Dorsey <whld...@mac.com>
Date: June 28, 2010 5:13:39 PM EDT
To: support-t...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Upgraded Thunderbird to 3.1 Mac OS X 10.6.4 Hangs on open

I also found and downloaded 3.0.5 and went back to it and now IT hangs. I have Inboxes saved into folders by years and the message at the bottom when it hangs is indexing message X of Y in 2008.
Now it says "Determining which messages to index in 2008 Inbox" but is again hung.

I am going to restart from Snow Leopard CD and run DiskUtility.

Begin forwarded message:

From: William Dorsey <william...@comcast.net>
Date: June 28, 2010 4:36:15 PM EDT
To: support-t...@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Path to download 3.0.5? Thunderbird 3.1 Mac OS X 10.6.4 Hangs on open

Mac Pro 10.4.6 10GB

How can I find a copy of Thunderbird 3.0.5 to download?

I unwisely took the automatic update route to 3.1, leaving no way to preserve a copy of 3.0.5, and after several tries and re-installing 3.1, it still hangs.

I do not want to take the time to puzzle it out or anything, but I can not find a way to download T-bird 3.0.5 in my searching.

Please advise.

sean bean

Jul 7, 2010, 9:56:56 AM7/7/10

its never a good thing to leave that much e'mail in the inbox... time to
start archiving, or creating some appropriate for your purposes folders
in the local folders directory to relieve pressure on the inbox...

sean

--
If a mime is arrested do they tell him he has the right to talk?

** taglines brought to you by tagzilla 0.066.2