"Go to a web site"

Graham P Davis

Jun 25, 2011, 6:27:06 AM6/25/11
When I open a new window, the navigation toolbar has "Go to a web site"
instead of the web address. This happens with 5.0 but began recently with
4.0.

--
Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks. E-mail: change boy to man
LibreOffice: http://www.documentfoundation.org/

Ron Hunter

Jun 25, 2011, 6:41:10 AM6/25/11
On 6/25/2011 5:27 AM, Graham P Davis wrote:
> When I open a new window, the navigation toolbar has "Go to a web site"
> instead of the web address. This happens with 5.0 but began recently with
> 4.0.

I have noticed the same thing. If you open FF5 with a link, the same
thing happens. I was hoping they would fix that before the release, but
it didn't happen, or something is causing it that the devs don't have.

You can get the URL to show by using the 'reload' button.

Graham P Davis

Jun 25, 2011, 12:58:05 PM6/25/11

The reload button hasn't worked for me - clicking on it does nothing.
Having said that, the reload button has been somewhat temperamental
recently, both with FF4 and FF5.

Chris Ilias

Jun 25, 2011, 4:50:00 PM6/25/11
On 11-06-25 6:27 AM, Graham P Davis wrote:
> When I open a new window, the navigation toolbar has "Go to a web site"
> instead of the web address. This happens with 5.0 but began recently with
> 4.0.

Here, if I right-click on a link and select "Open link in New Window",
the new window says "Go to a Web Site" until the page starts loading, at
which point the URL is displayed.

Is that what you're experiencing, or is the URL never displayed for you?
--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

Ron Hunter

Jun 25, 2011, 5:05:17 PM6/25/11
On 6/25/2011 11:58 AM, Graham P Davis wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 05:41:10 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:
>
>> On 6/25/2011 5:27 AM, Graham P Davis wrote:
>>> When I open a new window, the navigation toolbar has "Go to a web site"
>>> instead of the web address. This happens with 5.0 but began recently
>>> with 4.0.
>>>
>> I have noticed the same thing. If you open FF5 with a link, the same
>> thing happens. I was hoping they would fix that before the release, but
>> it didn't happen, or something is causing it that the devs don't have.
>>
>> You can get the URL to show by using the 'reload' button.
>
> The reload button hasn't worked for me - clicking on it does nothing.
> Having said that, the reload button has been somewhat temperamental
> recently, both with FF4 and FF5.

Humm. Just tested the reload button on FF6.0a2 (2011-06-25) and it
causes FF to reload the site, and displays the URL.
I don't know if there is a bug for this, but there really should be.
It's cosmetic, and doesn't seem to cause any real problem, but I really
like to know where the displayed data came from.

Ron Hunter

Jun 25, 2011, 5:07:33 PM6/25/11
On 6/25/2011 3:50 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 11-06-25 6:27 AM, Graham P Davis wrote:
>> When I open a new window, the navigation toolbar has "Go to a web site"
>> instead of the web address. This happens with 5.0 but began recently with
>> 4.0.
>
> Here, if I right-click on a link and select "Open link in New Window",
> the new window says "Go to a Web Site" until the page starts loading, at
> which point the URL is displayed.
>
> Is that what you're experiencing, or is the URL never displayed for you?

That's what I am seeing. It appears that if I turn restart in
safe-mode, this doesn't seem to happen. Maybe an Extension, or Theme issue.

Jay Garcia

Jun 25, 2011, 6:50:07 PM6/25/11
On 25.06.2011 15:50, Chris Ilias wrote:

> On 11-06-25 6:27 AM, Graham P Davis wrote:
>> When I open a new window, the navigation toolbar has "Go to a web site"
>> instead of the web address. This happens with 5.0 but began recently with
>> 4.0.
>
> Here, if I right-click on a link and select "Open link in New Window",
> the new window says "Go to a Web Site" until the page starts loading, at
> which point the URL is displayed.
>
> Is that what you're experiencing, or is the URL never displayed for you?

The original window says "Go to ....", the new window doesn't. The new
window shows the correct URL immediately.

--
*Jay Garcia - Netscape Champion*
www.ufaq.org

Graham P Davis

Jun 26, 2011, 3:02:42 AM6/26/11
On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 16:50:00 -0400, Chris Ilias wrote:

> On 11-06-25 6:27 AM, Graham P Davis wrote:
>> When I open a new window, the navigation toolbar has "Go to a web site"
>> instead of the web address. This happens with 5.0 but began recently
>> with 4.0.
>
> Here, if I right-click on a link and select "Open link in New Window",
> the new window says "Go to a Web Site" until the page starts loading, at
> which point the URL is displayed.
>
> Is that what you're experiencing, or is the URL never displayed for you?

It's never displayed.

Just checked FF4 again and it seems OK. Memory must be playing tricks -
again.

Graham P Davis

Jun 27, 2011, 6:29:11 AM6/27/11

Try disabling extension "openSUSE extensions to Firefox." Worked for me -
so far. ;-)

Bit surprised that it was the first one I tried that solved(?) the
problem. Suspiciously easy.

ChoiceJJ

Jul 8, 2011, 9:20:28 PM7/8/11
On Jun 27, 12:29 pm, Graham P Davis <news...@scarlet-jade.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 16:07:33 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

Never had this prob, until I installed FF5. When in a news article
and select the print version, a small extra window appears with Go to
a Web Site in the address bar. Reload button is not working.
However, 'New Tab' does make the url (of the print version) appear in
the original small window.
Hopefully this bug will be dealt with soon. Rgds - JJ

Graham P Davis

Jul 10, 2011, 5:49:56 AM7/10/11

As I pointed out, the problem was not directly that of FF5 but with the
openSUSE extension. Since then, I've also had problems with FF5 crashing
every day at times when the PC was unattended. I have fixed this - I hope
- by uninstalling the openSUSE branding module.

--
Graham Davis, UK
User of Mozillarish stuff since Netscape 1.2N.

Ron Hunter

Jul 10, 2011, 6:30:28 AM7/10/11
Sorry, to disabuse you of this theory, but when I start FF5 (and 6
beta), this happens. My start page is Google.com, and it ALWAYS opens
to it with 'go to Website' in the URL. Clicking on 'reload' will update
the URL. This is a very minor cosmetic problem, but it should be fixed.
The computer is Win7 Home Premium.
NOT a Linux problem.
It also happens any time the program is opened to another page from a
link from TB, or other source.
Annoying, but hardly a major flaw.

Jeff Grossman

Jul 10, 2011, 11:34:43 AM7/10/11

Did you file a bug for it? It not, it will never get fixed.

Jeff

Alan Baxter

Jul 10, 2011, 12:42:51 PM7/10/11

I'm unable to reproduce your problem in a profile that doesn't have
any extensions, Ron. I've appended your previous post below where you
said it doesn't happen in safe mode, so it seems like it probably is
caused by an extension or theme, as you speculated -- not by Firefox.

Ron Hunter <rphu...@charter.net> wrote:
>On 6/25/2011 3:50 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
>> On 11-06-25 6:27 AM, Graham P Davis wrote:
>>> When I open a new window, the navigation toolbar has "Go to a web site"
>>> instead of the web address. This happens with 5.0 but began recently with
>>> 4.0.
>>

>> Here, if I right-click on a link and select "Open link in New Window",
>> the new window says "Go to a Web Site" until the page starts loading, at
>> which point the URL is displayed.
>>
>> Is that what you're experiencing, or is the URL never displayed for you?
>
>That's what I am seeing. It appears that if I turn restart in
>safe-mode, this doesn't seem to happen. Maybe an Extension, or Theme issue.

--
"Trim your follow-ups."

nobody

Jul 10, 2011, 3:12:01 PM7/10/11
On 6/25/2011 5:27 AM, Graham P Davis wrote:
> When I open a new window, the navigation toolbar has "Go to a web site"
> instead of the web address. This happens with 5.0 but began recently with
> 4.0.

Doesn't happen on my windows version of FF5.0. For a fraction of a sec
that shows in the new windows addressbar, but is replaced with the
correct address as the page loads.

Ron Hunter

Jul 10, 2011, 5:04:11 PM7/10/11

This appears to be affected by either theme, or add-on issues. Will
investigate further.

Hactar

Jul 29, 2011, 6:00:55 PM7/29/11
A few days ago, I fixed some filesystem errors on my hard drive. One of
the affected files was one of FF's, where a few blocks were
cross-linked. Those blocks were filled with NULLs (I think). FF lost
all previous history data (which sucks, but is OK), and won't store new
data (which sucks bigtime). Links I know I visited don't change color,
the "history" sidebar is empty, the whole deal. How do I fix this? I
see one of its files is empty and modified today, but I don't know if
it's supposed to be that way.

-rw-r--r-- 1 eben eben 0 2011-07-29 17:44 places.sqlite-journal

These files were modified today:

-rw-r--r-- 1 eben eben 11263 2011-07-29 00:58 blocklist.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 eben eben 339968 2011-07-29 13:16 content-prefs.sqlite
-rw-r--r-- 1 eben eben 43921408 2011-07-29 13:20 places.sqlite
-rw------- 1 eben eben 5136 2011-07-29 15:54 pluginreg.dat
-rw------- 1 eben eben 106 2011-07-29 16:38 NoScriptSTS.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 eben eben 275456 2011-07-29 16:39 formhistory.sqlite
-rw-r--r-- 1 eben eben 94104 2011-07-29 16:41 localstore.rdf
-rw-r--r-- 1 eben eben 407552 2011-07-29 16:47 downloads.sqlite
-rw-r--r-- 1 eben eben 43991040 2011-07-29 17:38 urlclassifier3.sqlite
-rw-r--r-- 1 eben eben 67 2011-07-29 17:38 tabsaver.lst
-rw-r--r-- 1 eben eben 2107 2011-07-29 17:42 tabsaver.lst.new
-rw------- 1 eben eben 1006126 2011-07-29 17:42 sessionstore.js
-rw------- 1 eben eben 694311 2011-07-29 17:51 prefs.js
-rw-r--r-- 1 eben eben 0 2011-07-29 17:54 places.sqlite-journal

This one has the right name, but is ~3 years too old:

-rw-r--r-- 1 eben eben 11955254 2008-09-29 10:55 history.dat

--
A Higgs boson is sitting at the bar when the phone rings. He says to
the bartender "If that's a physicist, tell him you've not seen me."

Message has been deleted

David McRitchie

Jul 29, 2011, 10:52:59 PM7/29/11

"Hactar" <ebenZ...@verizon.net> wrote in message news:0qnbg8-...@pc.home...
> Once again, but not tucked under another article this time:

> I see the sigmonster is reading my mind again.

> --
> A Higgs boson is sitting at the bar when the phone rings. He says to
> the bartender "If that's a physicist, tell him you've not seen me."
> (maybe by KW in AFCA)

History.dat is for Firefox 2 and below

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Locked_or_damaged_places.sqlite

What I would try is restoring a bookmarks backup to see if it fixes the file.
Better would be you create you own bookmark backup and restore that then your bookmarks are up to date rather than up to a day old.
Library List > Import and Backup > Backup

If you end up deleting or renaming the places.sqlite file, it is going to
restore if from a bookmark backup and that is all you will have.

Only lost my history once, what does that delete history in the Tools menu actually do, it wouldn't]
really delete history would it? oops

Message has been deleted

dillinger

Jul 30, 2011, 2:50:15 PM7/30/11
On 07/30/2011 07:17 PM, Hactar wrote:
> In article<sbGdnVjMWJJ4767T...@mozilla.org>,

> David McRitchie<fire...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>

>> "Hactar"<ebenZ...@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> Once again, but not tucked under another article this time:
>>>
>>> A few days ago, I fixed some filesystem errors on my hard drive. One of
>>> the affected files was one of FF's, where a few blocks were
>>> cross-linked. Those blocks were filled with NULLs (I think). FF lost
>>> all previous history data (which sucks, but is OK), and won't store new
>>> data (which sucks bigtime). Links I know I visited don't change color,
>>> the "history" sidebar is empty, the whole deal. How do I fix this?
>>
>> History.dat is for Firefox 2 and below
>
> I've got a bunch of other files that are really old. /usr/bin/firefox
> was created on 8 February of this year. The files older than that are:
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 eben eben 1.2M 2008-09-24 15:32 bookmarks.bak
> -rw-r--r-- 1 eben eben 13M 2008-09-29 03:51 urlclassifier2.sqlite
> -rw-r--r-- 1 eben eben 12M 2008-09-29 10:55 history.dat
> -rw------- 1 eben eben 154K 2008-09-30 16:13 old.prefs.js
> -rw-r--r-- 1 eben eben 0 2008-10-05 18:52 permissions.sqlitesed
> drwxr-xr-x 3 eben eben 4.0K 2009-07-15 12:37 ABE/
> -rw-r--r-- 1 eben eben 257K 2009-07-16 21:08 downloads.sqlite.old
> -rw-r--r-- 1 eben eben 93K 2009-07-23 21:21 cookies-nontor.xml
> -rw-r--r-- 1 eben eben 1.4K 2010-08-13 14:42 extensions.log
> -rw------- 1 eben eben 993 2010-10-12 08:55 signons3.txt
> -rw------- 1 eben eben 16K 2010-12-06 13:53 secmod.db
> drwxr-xr-x 2 eben eben 4.0K 2010-12-10 13:44 FVD Single/
> -rw-r--r-- 1 eben eben 9.0K 2010-12-10 13:51 viddownloadtb.sqlite
> -rw-r--r-- 1 eben eben 152 2010-12-10 21:49 dh-conv-rules.rdf
> -rw-r--r-- 1 eben eben 11K 2010-12-10 21:57 signons.sqlite
> -rw-r--r-- 1 eben eben 4.0K 2010-12-11 00:22 webappsstore.sqlite
> drwx------ 2 eben eben 4.0K 2010-12-12 23:31 OfflineCache/
>
> Can I move them elsewhere to see if FF acts up, and delete them if it
> doesn't?

>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
>>
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Locked_or_damaged_places.sqlite
>>
>> What I would try is restoring a bookmarks backup to see if it fixes the file.
>> Better would be you create you own bookmark backup and restore that then
>> your bookmarks are up to date rather than up to a day old.
>
> Eh, I haven't changed my bookmarks since yesterday, which is the latest
> automatic backup (yay, FF).

>> Library List> Import and Backup> Backup
>>
>> If you end up deleting or renaming the places.sqlite file, it is going to
>> restore if from a bookmark backup and that is all you will have.
>
> Yeah, the history and bookmarks are linked. Odd, that.

You can try this:
http://www.happyassassin.net/2010/05/20/fixing-a-broken-firefox-awesomebar-places-sqlite-repair/

If that doesn't work, backup your bookmarks, delete places.sqlite and
restore your bookmarks. You'll lose your history then, probably.

Andy_P

Jan 20, 2012, 3:22:38 PM1/20/12
Was there ever a definitive fix for this, or a reason why it was done if it was deliberate?
We're now at FF9 (or more) and this annoying bug (or worse - "feature") still remains.

Ron Hunter

Jan 20, 2012, 7:47:03 PM1/20/12
On 1/20/2012 2:22 PM, Andy_P wrote:
> Was there ever a definitive fix for this, or a reason why it was done if it was deliberate?
> We're now at FF9 (or more) and this annoying bug (or worse - "feature") still remains.

If I remember right, it was a theme issue. Try with default theme, or
Nuvola 1.12.

Dave in Phoenix

Mar 5, 2012, 4:13:05 AM3/5/12
I see this is still an issue. It really irriatates me when I want to
copy a url address and the darn thing just says to go a website. I
can reload in new window or something and get but is a real pain vs
older versions. Seems to have changed for me in a recent version, no
change in addons or themes and use to always show the url.

I am using latest 10.0.2

John E. Carr

Mar 5, 2012, 5:56:39 PM3/5/12

"Dave in Phoenix" <da...@davephx.com> wrote in message
Try this: highlite url address, then use control key + c on keyboard. This
should copy the address.

Graham P Davis

Mar 7, 2012, 4:54:18 AM3/7/12
This problem was caused by openSUSE branding. Uninstalling that removed
the problem. Later, it was fixed so I reinstalled it and I've been using
it for months without any trouble.

--
Graham Davis, UK
User of Mozillarish stuff since Netscape 1.2N.
Running FF 10.0, TB 10.0, KDE 4.7.4 on openSUSE 12.1.

acpe...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2013, 9:23:33 AM1/22/13
On Saturday, June 25, 2011 6:27:06 AM UTC-4, Graham P Davis wrote:
> When I open a new window, the navigation toolbar has "Go to a web site"
> instead of the web address. This happens with 5.0 but began recently with
> 4.0.
>
> --
> Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks. E-mail: change boy to man
> LibreOffice: http://www.documentfoundation.org/
> openSUSE Linux: http://www.opensuse.org/en/

The PixelZoomer add on did this to me.