Re: Download error 228

Message has been deleted

Aggro

Dec 6, 2007, 5:43:26 PM12/6/07
dg.c...@gmail.com wrote:
> When I go to school, I can download firefox extensions.
> When I go home, I get download error 228.
> I have Qwest Internet.
> I have checked the ports, set the modem to default settings, checked
> the firewall, checked the cache,
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_install_themes_or_extensions_-_Firefox#Download_Error_-228
> The problem seems to be coming from Qwest.
> I called their tech support.
> They denied the problem and hung up on me.
> The fact that I can get the extensions while at school eliminates my
> computer as the problem.
> Anyone have ideas as to what Qwest might be doing that is causing the
> problem?

Did you try the work-around (right click and save) and did that work?

--
Solutions for issues with Firefox:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Category:Issues_%28Firefox%29

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Irwin Greenwald

Dec 11, 2007, 12:22:00 AM12/11/07
On 12/10/2007 6:23 PM, dg.c...@gmail.com wrote:
> They still haven't fixed the problem.
> Honestly, this is what I was expecting.
> Anyone else have similar problems?

You might want to try:
about:config (in location bar and hit enter)
xpinstall.enabled in filter bar and make sure it is set to true

--
Irwin

Message has been deleted

walter...@bigpond.com

Jan 9, 2008, 4:20:27 AM1/9/08
On Dec 12 2007, 6:51 pm, dg.cs...@gmail.com wrote:
> The problem can't be on my computer... I am able to install at school.
> I did look at about:config & xpinstall.enabled is set to true.
> I want people to be aware the problem may be Qwest... not your
> computer or mozilla's servers.

I have just installed Thunderbird and it is a great alternative to
Microsoft Outlook.
Except - when I try to install add-ons I get the same error as you do
- "download error -228"
I tried all the recommended variations including stopping Microsoft
defender and my McAfee virus scanner. Also disabled Windows firewall
(for a short period) while I tried combinations of "save link as ..."
including dropping it on the Add-ons dialog box. All result in the
same error or the download returns with "the file does not exist".

Surely there must be an easier way of installing and downloading add-
ons?!

I have 35 years experience in this industry and have never been
stumped like this one.

I did find the alternative download site and was able to download and
then install two add-ons, however, the one I'm interested in (i.e. a
dictionary) will download and install with "installed successfully"
but the dictionary is not visible in the spell checker nor in options,
spelling, language. it also takes a fraction of a second to report it
has installed Ok, clearly not long enough to do anything meaningful.

Cheers, Walter

dorian.g...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2008, 9:30:15 AM1/22/08

I was having this problem and I am using Firefox 2.0.0.10, I disabled
IPV6 support on my network card and now it works fine.

Hope this solution helps someone.
Dorian.

Message has been deleted

Stevan

Feb 10, 2008, 9:49:45 PM2/10/08
how do you disable the network monitor drive on Vista