Launching Firefox from Tbird

Tony Raven

Dec 22, 2007, 4:22:44 AM12/22/07
Apologies for the cross post but I'm not sure in whether this problem
sits in FF or Tbird.

Since one of the recent upgrades I can no longer successfully launch
Firefox by clicking on a link in Tbird. If I click a link without FF
running FF doesn't appear and neither can I then launch FF from the
Start menu. In Task Manager there is a firefox.exe process that is
created with just over 10Mb size. If I terminate that process and open
FF from the Start menu it loads normally with a size of about 75Mb and
then if I click a link in TB it opens normally. I am struggling to
understand why the call routine in Tbird would do anything different
from running from the Start Menu. Versions being run are FF2.0.0.11 and
TB2.0.0.9

--
Tony

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has
taken place"
George Bernard Shaw

EE

Dec 22, 2007, 4:35:55 PM12/22/07
Tony Raven wrote:
> Apologies for the cross post but I'm not sure in whether this problem
> sits in FF or Tbird.
>
> Since one of the recent upgrades I can no longer successfully launch
> Firefox by clicking on a link in Tbird. If I click a link without FF
> running FF doesn't appear and neither can I then launch FF from the
> Start menu. In Task Manager there is a firefox.exe process that is
> created with just over 10Mb size. If I terminate that process and open
> FF from the Start menu it loads normally with a size of about 75Mb and
> then if I click a link in TB it opens normally. I am struggling to
> understand why the call routine in Tbird would do anything different
> from running from the Start Menu. Versions being run are FF2.0.0.11 and
> TB2.0.0.9

You have to tell the operating system what the default browser is.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser

Irwin Greenwald

Dec 22, 2007, 7:23:29 PM12/22/07
On 12/22/2007 1:22 AM, Tony Raven wrote:
> Apologies for the cross post but I'm not sure in whether this problem
> sits in FF or Tbird.
>
> Since one of the recent upgrades I can no longer successfully launch
> Firefox by clicking on a link in Tbird. If I click a link without FF
> running FF doesn't appear and neither can I then launch FF from the
> Start menu. In Task Manager there is a firefox.exe process that is
> created with just over 10Mb size. If I terminate that process and open
> FF from the Start menu it loads normally with a size of about 75Mb and
> then if I click a link in TB it opens normally. I am struggling to
> understand why the call routine in Tbird would do anything different
> from running from the Start Menu. Versions being run are FF2.0.0.11 and
> TB2.0.0.9

Open Windows Explorer
Tools>>Folder Options>>File types
Scroll down to HTM.
Click on "Advanced", then on "open", then on "Edit"
The Application Window should look like:
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE -requestPending -osint -url "%1"
The {-url "%1"} are critical.

Click on the use DDE box and then enter
"%1",,0,0,,,,
in the DDE Message box
OK your way out.

Do the same for HTML

--
Irwin

Tony Raven

Dec 23, 2007, 4:33:34 AM12/23/07
In article <M5ednZO-lY6pHvDa...@mozilla.org>,
nu...@bees.wax says...

It is the default browser and has been for several years now. This
problem has only recently occurred but I have been running FF & TB for
many years.

Tony Raven

Dec 23, 2007, 4:39:41 AM12/23/07
In article <Q6-dnX1hoY4fN_Da...@mozilla.org>,
oi...@roadrunner.com says...

Thanks. I don't get the Advanced option on HTM or HTML extensions
although its present for other extensions. On those two particular file
types it is replaced by a Restore button. Not sure though how that
would explain a partial launch that stalls at 10Mb process size.

Irwin Greenwald

Dec 26, 2007, 6:02:11 PM12/26/07
Stall could occur if the %1 parameter is not being correctly
interpreted. With FF closed make some other browser (IE?) default.
Close the other browser. Open FF and make it default. Close FF

Do links still fail?

JuanSinMiedo

Dec 27, 2007, 3:57:53 PM12/27/07
Irwin Greenwald escribió:

I've found a simple way to do this:

Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced tab -> Configuration Editor

Right-click and create a new entry ("string") with name:
* network.protocol-handler.app.http*
It's possible that the entry exists and you only have to edit it.

and value:
*/usr/bin/firefox
*or the place where your firefox is (mine is Linux).

Do the same for https and ftp.

Close.

That's it. Enjoy it.