Firefox 2.0.0.1 trashes Sun Java Console

1 view

Mickey Segal

Dec 20, 2006, 12:37:57 PM12/20/06
The latest Firefox update (2.0 to 2.0.0.1) de-activates the Sun Java Console
and suggests fixing the problem by getting an updated version of the Java
plugin. This does not appear to work.

Someone posted in comp.lang.java.programmer that he has the latest release
version (JDK 1.6.0) and the Sun Java Console doesn't work.

I was running a more recent pre-release build (JDK 1.7 build 02) and
uninstalled it and installed the current pre-release JDK 1.7 build 04 (from
http://download.java.net/jdk7/binaries/) but this does not restore the Sun
Java Console in Firefox.

Does anyone know how to get this working properly?

Message has been deleted

Mickey Segal

Dec 20, 2006, 1:27:36 PM12/20/06
"John Gray" <nos...@invalid.com> wrote in message
> It disabled it here also. Unless you actually use the Java Console, it's
> not a problem. Java 1.6 still works fine on websites.

Some of us actually do use the Java Console. The message during the Firefox
upgrade implied that the removal of the Java Console was a bug, not a
feature, but the recommended fix, which may be a generic recommendation, did
not help.

As a workaround one can launch the console from a tray icon, but it would be
nice not to have to devote tray space to something that is supposed to work
from the Firefox menu.

Tony

Dec 20, 2006, 1:49:21 PM12/20/06
This is not a problem with Firefox but a problem with how Sun
Microsystems wrote the Java Console extension. They specified in the
extension that the maximum version that it would work on will be Firefox
2.0, they should have specified the maximum version as 2.0.0.*

When Firefox updated to 2.0.0.1 it checked the installed extensions and
since the Java console extension only specified that it would work with
2.0 it was disabled.

--
Tony Evans

Mr...@totally.invalid

Dec 20, 2006, 3:41:58 PM12/20/06

Nightly tester tools seems to have allowed console version 1.6.0 to
run on Firefox 2.0.0.1 on my machine.
--
Mr.E

Mickey Segal

Dec 23, 2006, 10:27:00 AM12/23/06
"Tony" <aje...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> This is not a problem with Firefox but a problem with how Sun Microsystems
> wrote the Java Console extension. They specified in the extension that the
> maximum version that it would work on will be Firefox 2.0, they should
> have specified the maximum version as 2.0.0.*
>
> When Firefox updated to 2.0.0.1 it checked the installed extensions and
> since the Java console extension only specified that it would work with
> 2.0 it was disabled.

There is now a bug report about this problem: