Getting rid of unwanted search page

CJ

Jan 6, 2008, 12:15:46 PM1/6/08
When I enter a URL into Firefox, and the URL can't be found, Firefox
is popping up a search page from Verizon. (I get DLS through Verizon,
so I assume they somehow loaded this crap on my system.) Any idea how
to get rid of it? If I can't find a URL, I just want to browser to
stay right whereever it already is. I looked under Options, didn't
see anything. Any tips would be appreciated.

CJ

Tony Mechelynck

Jan 6, 2008, 12:38:23 PM1/6/08

- When you mention DLS, I suppose you mean DSL (i.e., broadband Internet access).
- Do you use a proxy?
- Is it only when you try to access a nonexistent Verizon page, or any page at
all?

If you're going through a proxy, or if it's only for Verizon pages, then it's
probably the server at the other end serving you that search page when the URL
you asked for can't be reached.

If you're accessing the Internet directly (with no proxy) and it's for any
nonexistent page, then I suspect it's on your machine, but not necessarily in
Firefox. (I could be wrong though.) With the little info I have about your
setup (I don't even know on which OS you're running, or with which version of
Firefox), I'll have a hard time debugging it.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
"Here's the holiday schedule for Monday's observation of Martin Luther
King Jr.'s birthday, when the following will be closed:

* Governmental offices
* Post offices
* Libraries
* Schools
* Banks
* Parts of Palm Beach

and the mind of Senator Jesse Helms of North Carolina."
-- Dennis Miller, "Saturday Night Live"

CJ

Jan 6, 2008, 1:29:48 PM1/6/08
Okay, more info: Running FF 2.0.0.4 under Windows XP. I have a DSL
connection from home, through Verizon, not through a proxy server. If
I type any non-existed URL into the URL field (don't what it's called,
but it's the place at the top of FF, just under the menu, where you
type URLs!), I am redirected to

http://wwwz.websearch.verizon.net/search?qo=www.<badURLgoesHere>.com&rn=QrtcYHCZOCdNowH

Please let me know if you need more info. I don't want to be
redirected, if the page I type is not there, I want to stay at
whatever page I'm already looking at.

Thanks again, in advance....

CJ

On Jan 6, 12:38 pm, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@belgacom.net>

Tony Mechelynck

Jan 6, 2008, 2:06:32 PM1/6/08
CJ wrote:
> Okay, more info: Running FF 2.0.0.4 under Windows XP. I have a DSL
> connection from home, through Verizon, not through a proxy server. If
> I type any non-existed URL into the URL field (don't what it's called,
> but it's the place at the top of FF, just under the menu, where you
> type URLs!), I am redirected to

the Location Bar, also known more familiarly as the URL bar.

> http://wwwz.websearch.verizon.net/search?qo=www.<badURLgoesHere>.com&rn=QrtcYHCZOCdNowH
>
> Please let me know if you need more info. I don't want to be
> redirected, if the page I type is not there, I want to stay at
> whatever page I'm already looking at.
>
> Thanks again, in advance....
>
> CJ

Hmmm... I don't know Verizon, and I've "upgraded" from Windows to Linux, so
maybe I'm not the best person to debug your problem.

The www. and .com around the bad URL are added by Firefox, I think: be
default, it tries them if the "raw" URL isn't found.

Normally, if you try to access a URL that "isn't there", the host you're
trying to access will give you an error page: on my ISP (if I try
http://www.skynet.be/blahblah/ and there is no page at blahblah on that
server) I get a fancy page in the site's colours; on most sites it's a plain
white page with "Not Found" in large letters at the top and the name of the
server (such as "apache 2.2.4 at webserver.example.com") in small type under a
horizontal separator. So if the server exists but not the page, I guess it's
too late to remain at the page you were viewing before. (You gan go back to
it, in most cases, by clicking "Back" or hitting Alt-Left.)

If, however, the host itself doesn't exist (you're trying, let's say, to
access http://www.blahblah.net/ and there's no one of that name on the
Internet), the default action is to show you an error page with a message
explaining the kind of error, and a "retry" button near the bottom. That,
however, is configurable:
1. Type about:config in the Location Bar, then hit Enter. You get a list of
all preferences known to Firefox with their present values.
2. Type "error" (without the quotes) in the Filter box at the top. Only
preferences containing that text remain displayed.
3. Find the preference "browser.xul.error_pages.enabled" (the names are ranked
alphabetically, so it should be near the top). By double-clicking it, you can
toggle it from true to false or vice-versa:
- if true (default), this kind of errors produce an error page, replacing
whatever you're viewing;
- if false, the same errors produce an error popup, and the page you were
viewing before the error remains displayed.

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.xul.error_pages.enabled for details.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
There once was a member of Mensa
Who was a most excellent fencer.

David McRitchie

Jan 6, 2008, 2:30:06 PM1/6/08

"CJ" \...

> Okay, more info: Running FF 2.0.0.4 under Windows XP. I have a DSL
> connection from home, through Verizon, not through a proxy server. If
> I type any non-existed URL into the URL field (don't what it's called,
> but it's the place at the top of FF, just under the menu, where you
> type URLs!), I am redirected to
>
> http://wwwz.websearch.verizon.net/search?qo=www.<badURLgoesHere>.com&rn=QrtcYHCZOCdNowH

See Verizon Online - Help & Support - Opting out of DNS assistance
http://netservices.verizon.net/portal/link/help/item?case=dns_assist&partner=verizon&product=fios

If you prefer that the DNS server display an error message when it can't match the domain you've entered with an IP address, you
must enter your DNS settings in your hardware device (router, gateway, or modem) or in your Operating System, depending on which
hardware device you have . Either method prevents DNS Assistance servers from displaying a page of links to sites that have similar
domain names to the one you entered.

Good luck, you can probably call them if you get stuck.
I think the key is at the bottom of the page, use the operating
system to get to the DNS.

David McRitchie

Jan 6, 2008, 4:11:24 PM1/6/08
"David McRitchie" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message news:n4CdnVDtocpVsRza...@mozilla.org...

I tried the system way, and couldn't get back in, changed it back and couldn't
get back in, but it's working now, so I'm leaving it alone even though I get the
Verizon interception for now.

mvl_gro...@yahoo.com

Jan 7, 2008, 12:58:52 PM1/7/08
I had to do two things:

First, shut off the full web error page in firefox by changing
browser.xul.error_pages.enabled to false (as mentioned earlier).

Second, verizon doesn't "fail" your dns request, it successfully
responds with their search server's web IP. You have to force this to
fail. So far, I'm been successful by adding (127.0.0.1
wwwz.websearch.verizon.net) to my hosts file. This assumes you aren't
running a web server on your machine.

-MVL