All Passwords are gone after updating to 3.0.2

pic...@castortech.com

Sep 11, 2008, 11:54:38 AM9/11/08
I just received a notice about the new 3.0.2 to download. I downloaded
and it restarted my browser and voila, no more passwords.

I have no clue at all what happened here, no errors were seen in the
process. all was fine.

As anyone else experienced this?

What can be done to try to recover from this ?

All might not be lost as I installed Chrome for testing last week and
it imported all my passwords, so there is little lost, but since there
is no known export/import from Chrome to Firefox, I will have to spend
a full day transferring over 200 passwords and urls....Or stick with
Chrome :)

Please help
Alain

pic...@castortech.com

Sep 11, 2008, 11:12:10 PM9/11/08

A few more pointers.

I have my signon3.txt file that looks like all is there. It was last
modified 2 days ago. The key3.db file is there but was last modified
after the install.

Now I found the following in the console after trying to login to a
site:
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "'[JavaScript Error:
"this._storage is null" {file: "file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/
Mozilla%20Firefox%203%20Beta%205/components/nsLoginManager.js" line:
451}]' when calling method: [nsILoginManager::getAllDisabledHosts]"
nsresult: "0x80570021 (NS_ERROR_XPC_JAVASCRIPT_ERROR_WITH_DETAILS)"
location: "JS frame :: chrome://passwordmgr/content/passwordManagerExceptions.js
:: LoadRejects :: line 37" data: yes]

Any idea anyone.

Thanks
Alain

alex

Sep 12, 2008, 9:06:56 AM9/12/08
On 12 Sep., 05:12, pic...@castortech.com wrote:
> On Sep 11, 11:54 am, pic...@castortech.com wrote:
>

> > I just received a notice about the new 3.0.2 to download. I downloaded
> > and it restarted my browser and voila, no more passwords.
>
> > I have no clue at all what happened here, no errors were seen in the
> > process. all was fine.
>
> > As anyone else experienced this?

Yes, happened to me, too. I don't see any of my stored passwords and
firefox will not remember new ones.

My signons3.txt file seems to be untouched and still contains all the
passwords. key3.db was modified at the time of the update, so I can't
be sure here.

What I tried first: restore a working profile from a backup (I deleted
and restored the whole ~/.mozilla directory). This did not change the
behaviour.

Second try: I restored the previous version of firefox (probably
3.0.1). Result: passwords working. Fine.

Then I exported all passwords (password exporter plugin), did the
upgrade. As before, all passwords gone now. Tried to import the
password file and get the error:
http://www.secretsite.com ('[JavaScript Error: "this._storage is
null" {file: "file:///home/firefox/opt/firefox/components/
nsLoginManager.js" line: 464}]' when calling method:
[nsILoginManager::addLogin])
This line repeats itself several hundred times (only the site
changes), probably once for each password.
Result: Nothing. No passwords can be imported. No new passwords can be
stored.

I'm stuck here. Any hints for me, except downgrading firefox?

greetings,
Alexander

pic...@castortech.com

Sep 12, 2008, 5:21:30 PM9/12/08
On Sep 12, 9:06 am, alex <google.20.awc...@spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> On 12 Sep., 05:12, pic...@castortech.com wrote:
>
> > On Sep 11, 11:54 am, pic...@castortech.com wrote:
>
> > > I just received a notice about the new 3.0.2 to download. I downloaded
> > > and it restarted my browser and voila, no more passwords.
>
> > > I have no clue at all what happened here, no errors were seen in the
> > > process. all was fine.
>
> > > As anyone else experienced this?
>
> Yes, happened to me, too. I don't see any of my stored passwords and
> firefox will not remember new ones.
>
> My signons3.txt file seems to be untouched and still contains all the
> passwords. key3.db was modified at the time of the update, so I can't
> be sure here.
>
> What I tried first: restore a working profile from a backup (I deleted
> and restored the whole ~/.mozilla directory). This did not change the
> behaviour.
>
> Second try: I restored the previous version of firefox (probably
> 3.0.1). Result: passwords working. Fine.
>
> Then I exported all passwords (password exporter plugin), did the
> upgrade. As before, all passwords gone now. Tried to import the
> password file and get the error:http://www.secretsite.com('[JavaScript Error: "this._storage is

> null" {file: "file:///home/firefox/opt/firefox/components/
> nsLoginManager.js" line: 464}]' when calling method:
> [nsILoginManager::addLogin])
> This line repeats itself several hundred times (only the site
> changes), probably once for each password.
> Result: Nothing. No passwords can be imported. No new passwords can be
> stored.
>
> I'm stuck here. Any hints for me, except downgrading firefox?
>
> greetings,
> Alexander

Alexendar,

Thanks for the info. I downgraded to 3.01 and I have all my passwords
again. Feels good to be back in business.

Cheers,
Alain

m..

Sep 24, 2008, 4:24:30 AM9/24/08
Same here ... My passwords are gone.

Downgrading ...

m.

Marian Ivan (sukr)

Sep 24, 2008, 6:01:28 AM9/24/08

Same to me. Passwords are back after downgrading to 3.0.1.

MI

Lars-Erik �sterud

Sep 24, 2008, 10:23:38 AM9/24/08
m.. wrote:

> Same here ... My passwords are gone.

Even worse, I can't get it to remember anyone anymore.
It does not ask (even if the option is checked).
It does not remember.

Don't they do even a little bit of pre-release testing ?!?!?
--
Lars-Erik �sterud : http://www.osterud.name

Firefox tweaks: http://firefox.osterud.name

saulius

Sep 24, 2008, 1:56:54 PM9/24/08
Same here,
all passwords are gone, do not remember new. Gmail manager extension
do not autologin, even if checked to do that. WTF??

lia...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2008, 12:59:26 PM9/25/08
the file format of password before Firefox 3.0.1 is save by ANSI.

so almost everyone save in ANSI..

BUT. BUT
Firefox 3.0.2 save by UTF-8

so...Firefox 3.0.2 read the old password file as the UTF-8 one.
they can't figure if the password an ANSI or UTF-8 one.

Solution:
open dictionary of your profile
almost everyone save it in
C:\Documents and Settings\**********\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox
\Profiles\********.default

REMEMBER: Be sure backup the above file (signons3.txt )

open the signons3.txt by notepad
and save it into UTF-8 one and overwrite old one

password have recovery...happy surving the password.:P.

Lars-Erik Østerud

Sep 26, 2008, 5:06:21 AM9/26/08
> open the signons3.txt by notepad
> and save it into UTF-8 one and overwrite old one

How do I select format to save in?
I use Notepad2 (have replace original notepad files).
Can I open it it WordPad or Word, or will that mess up.

What when the fix comes out, will that read both ANSI
and UTF8 or will we have the same problem the other way?
--
Lars-Erik Østerud : http://www.osterud.name

Firefox tweaks: http://firefox.osterud.name

lia...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2008, 2:01:33 AM9/27/08
i think the bug of firefox have changed.
you just update the firefox to 3.0.3 and will be ok.
the bug is the biggest bug i have ever saw....

look this
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.0.3/releasenotes/

update your browser..:P..

weathe...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2008, 10:54:34 PM9/28/08
On Sep 27, 1:01 am, liao...@gmail.com wrote:
> i think the bug of firefox have changed.
> you just update the firefox to 3.0.3 and will be ok.
> the bug is the biggest bug i have ever saw....
>
> look thishttp://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.0.3/releasenotes/
>
> update your browser..:P..

This isn't working for me! For me, the problems STARTED with 3.03. My
passwords are gone, so are all of my settings! Bookmarks are still
intact. What should I do?