xul + rss

jas...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2006, 3:34:00 PM11/9/06

I have a XUL application that I want to be able to read an RSS feed.
It is stand-alone (XULRunner) and I want to be able to send the users a
line or two of text to keep them updated on news, updates, contents, or
whatever is new on our end.

Are there any built-in XUL interfaces for RSS? Can a XUL template be
used for this? Or do I have to write a bunch of javascript to achieve
this? Maybe RSS is not the way to go for this app feature?

Any ideas on this subject would be very appreciated.

Have a good one!

--------------
Go Skins!

Myk Melez

Nov 9, 2006, 6:14:10 PM11/9/06

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Feed_content_access_API

> Can a XUL template be
> used for this? Or do I have to write a bunch of javascript to achieve
> this?

You should be able to use a XUL template to display feeds, although you
may have to write the feed data to an RDF datasource first.

-myk

Nov 9, 2006, 10:39:56 PM11/9/06

Myk Melez wrote:
> jas...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Are there any built-in XUL interfaces for RSS?
>
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Feed_content_access_API

Thanks, I will check it out. I'm trying to build a simple browser type
app.

Another problem I am having is that when I click a link that is set to
open a new window (target="_blank") in my browser content area of my
xul app, it opens up a firefox window. I'd like it to open another
instance of my browser.

Any ideas on that?

Nov 9, 2006, 10:40:28 PM11/9/06

Myk Melez wrote:
> jas...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Are there any built-in XUL interfaces for RSS?
>
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Feed_content_access_API

Thanks, I will check it out. I'm trying to build a simple browser type

Neil

Nov 10, 2006, 7:02:52 AM11/10/06
J wrote:

>Another problem I am having is that when I click a link that is set to open a new window (target="_blank") in my browser content area of my xul app, it opens up a firefox window. I'd like it to open another instance of my browser.

You need to set the "I'm a browser" preference which is
network.protocol-handler.expose-all and also the "browser ui" preference
which I seem to remember is called browser.chromeURL

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.

Nov 21, 2006, 8:40:50 AM11/21/06
Yep thats the one. Well, network.protocol-handler.expose-all was
already set to "true" but I had to change the browser.chromeURL
preference to reflect my app's chrome URL.

I have to change it back when my browser unloads otherwise when I
double-click my Firefox icon it loads my application (oops). I'm
thinking that when I make my application stand-alone with XULRunner
that I won't be "sharing" preferences with Firefox.

Many Thanks Neil.

-Jason