query on table bordercolor attribute

KishoreGanesh B

Mar 1, 2012, 1:02:37 AM3/1/12
to dev-tec...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi All,
Excuse me if this is not the right place to make this query.

I have a small query regarding the HTML table element's borderColor
attribute.
For table element, "borderColor" attribute works fine in firefox even
though it is not standardized in the HTML spec.
I am just wondering if there is any specific reason for maintaining this
attribute? Or would it be wiped out in upcoming releases?

Thanks & Regards,
Kishore

Boris Zbarsky

Mar 1, 2012, 1:55:14 AM3/1/12
On 3/1/12 1:02 AM, KishoreGanesh B wrote:
> For table element, "borderColor" attribute works fine in firefox even
> though it is not standardized in the HTML spec.

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#tables says:

When a table element has a bordercolor attribute, its value is
expected to be parsed using the rules for parsing a legacy color
value, and if that does not return an error, the user agent is
expected to treat the attribute as a presentational hint setting
the element's 'border-top-color', 'border-right-color',
'border-bottom-color', and 'border-right-color' properties to
the resulting color.

> I am just wondering if there is any specific reason for maintaining this
> attribute?

Apart from every single browser supporting it and sites depending on it? ;)

-Boris