script type="?"

VK

Dec 1, 2006, 1:38:02 PM12/1/06
<http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/E4X>
...type="text/javascript;e4x=1"...

<http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/New_in_JavaScript_1.7#Using_JavaScript_1.7>
...type="application/javascript;version=1.7"...

Someone on the Mozilla side is getting lost in specs or it's just my
allusion?

Jeff Walden

Dec 2, 2006, 10:48:40 AM12/2/06

You'll have to explain what your concern is, because I honestly have no idea. Is it the application vs. text thing, the parameters, a combination of the two, or what?

Jeff

VK

Dec 3, 2006, 10:41:12 AM12/3/06

That is about the type randomly changing from one minor to another, so
it embraces all options you have spelled.

By going separately by each of them:

1) I do not understand why, despite Bjoern Hoerhrmann was "un-invited"
from W3C for a longest time already and despite his confusing RFC is
expired for a longest time also: why that "application/javascript"
still jumps out like a jack-from-the-box?

2) I do not understand the need to use Content-Type/MIME strings as a
variant of GET request with main part followed by parsed parameters for
it. While language name is just name and it can be anything, say
language="JavaScript1.7", Content-Type IMHO needs lesser creativity and
more of standard pattern. Maybe "text/javascript-x-e4x",
"text/javascript-x-7".

3) What is the currently suggested type for E4X scripts using
JavaScript 1.7 new features?

//////////////

4) That's not in your questions and semi-OT - but it is closely related
to the language versions so I'm adding it in here:

What are the relations (if any) between JavaScript 2.0 proposals
<http://www.mozilla.org/js/language/js20/> and the current team ideas?

If the roadmap is still in effect and the current 1.7 version is just
three minors away from it, that what are the relations I missed to see
between JavaScript 2.0 proposals and the recent extensions?

If JavaScript 2.0 project is put on hold, then is there some other
roadmap we could look at? I mean is there some (even the most basic)
plan for the JavaScript future in the Mozilla Foundation?

Thank you in advance.

Nickolay Ponomarev

Dec 4, 2006, 1:33:59 PM12/4/06
VK wrote:
> > > <http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/E4X>
> > > ...type="text/javascript;e4x=1"...
> > >
> > > <http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/New_in_JavaScript_1.7#Using_JavaScript_1.7>
> > > ...type="application/javascript;version=1.7"...
> > >
> > > Someone on the Mozilla side is getting lost in specs or it's just my
> > > allusion?
>
> 3) What is the currently suggested type for E4X scripts using
> JavaScript 1.7 new features?

I think type="application/javascript;version=1.7" will enable e4x as
well.

> //////////////
>
> 4) That's not in your questions and semi-OT - but it is closely related
> to the language versions so I'm adding it in here:
>
> What are the relations (if any) between JavaScript 2.0 proposals
> <http://www.mozilla.org/js/language/js20/> and the current team ideas?

That proposal is old, the newer one can be found in an uber-secret
location - http://developer.mozilla.org/es4/

JS 1.7 implements some of the features described there.

> If the roadmap is still in effect and the current 1.7 version is just
> three minors away from it, that what are the relations I missed to see
> between JavaScript 2.0 proposals and the recent extensions?

I'd say, JS 1.7 is two minors away from JS 1.5, not three minors away
from 2.0 :)

> If JavaScript 2.0 project is put on hold, then is there some other
> roadmap we could look at? I mean is there some (even the most basic)
> plan for the JavaScript future in the Mozilla Foundation?

2.0 is not put on hold, Brendan periodically posts something about
this, so I suggest you look through the recent posts on
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roadmap/ (including comments) and maybe
look for the transcript of the recent JS chat.

I believe the time estimates for JS2 were mentioned somewhere, but I
don't remember where or what they are.

Nickolay

VK

Dec 5, 2006, 3:56:13 AM12/5/06
> > What are the relations (if any) between JavaScript 2.0 proposals
> > <http://www.mozilla.org/js/language/js20/> and the current team ideas?
> >
> That proposal is old, the newer one can be found in an uber-secret
> location - http://developer.mozilla.org/es4/

I see... "When Waldemar away, the Mice will play..." :-) :-\

With Waldemar Horwat left the project I see the trend being switched
from a JScript.NET counterpart to a all separate pseudo-LISP
interpretation.

Whatever however, at least there is *some* plan as I can see; because
if 1.6 made me surprised - 1.7 made me worried as it looked just like
chaotic ext's made by Firefox shell developers (to make the shell
development more convenient). If I'm wrong then so it is better.

I still would insist to enforce on all JavaScript participants the same
script type. The standard de-facto "text/javascript" would be the best.
If there is some irresistibly appealing power in
"application/javascript" then we can manage to live with it too: as
long as there is something *single* everywhere throughout.