Re: SessionStore size - Bloat in sessionstore.js from Google and others causing major UI freezes

Robert Kaiser

Jul 19, 2011, 11:36:10 AM7/19/11
Randell Jesup schrieb:
> e) Push the processing of the per-tab data over to a background
> thread/process.

That sounds like a good idea to me in any case. We should try to get as
much stuff away from the main thread as possible to ensure good
responsiveness of UI.

> P.S. It's nice to be back

\o/ welcome back \o/

Robert Kaiser

--
Note that any statements of mine - no matter how passionate - are never
meant to be offensive but very often as food for thought or possible

Taras Glek

Jul 19, 2011, 2:14:46 PM7/19/11
to Kyle Huey, Randell Jesup, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
On 07/19/2011 08:55 AM, Kyle Huey wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 7:51 AM, Randell Jesup<randel...@jesup.org>wrote:

>> a) Convert sessionstore to SQLite, totally.
>>
>> Updates can be relatively small, though a single tab might have
>> several sessionstore-heavy items in it and so be moderately large (a
>> few meg)
>>
>> Variation: unchanged history items may be stored independently and
>> so minor scrolling/navigation changes might be very small. Note
>> that we'd want to reference history pages by absolute depth, not
>> relative.
>>
>> Downside: downgrade/revert will be bad (though support could be
>> rolled in over 2 releases to ease the problem). Could cause
>> problems for Aurora/Beta users.
>>

> Perhaps this is a good problem to try out LevelDB on?

That sounds better than sqlite :) I veto any sqlite stuff for
frequently-written data.

Please add some telemetry probes to identify overheads in writing out
data(and restoring from it)

Then we can focus on improving specific datapoints.

Taras

> - Kyle

Taras Glek

Jul 19, 2011, 2:14:46 PM7/19/11
to Kyle Huey, Randell Jesup, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org

Jeff Muizelaar

Jul 19, 2011, 2:19:14 PM7/19/11
to Taras Glek, Kyle Huey, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org, Randell Jesup

On 2011-07-19, at 2:14 PM, Taras Glek wrote:

> On 07/19/2011 08:55 AM, Kyle Huey wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps this is a good problem to try out LevelDB on?
>
> That sounds better than sqlite :) I veto any sqlite stuff for frequently-written data.

+1

-Jeff

Randell Jesup

Jul 19, 2011, 5:18:43 PM7/19/11
I cross-posted this at first since .performance seemed pretty quiet
recently, but I think it makes sense for future comments to all be there
if people don't mind.

--
Randell Jesup, Mozilla Corporation
Remove ".news" for personal email

Jeff Muizelaar

Jul 19, 2011, 5:23:14 PM7/19/11
to Randell Jesup, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org

On 2011-07-19, at 5:18 PM, Randell Jesup wrote:

> I cross-posted this at first since .performance seemed pretty quiet recently, but I think it makes sense for future comments to all be there if people don't mind.

I don't think people read .performance. It's likely better kept on .platform

-Jeff

Randell Jesup

Jul 19, 2011, 5:31:35 PM7/19/11

It would be nice to actually use .performance, I'd think... But I'll bow
to the crowd whichever way they want to go. People should know there's
more detailed discussion over there now.