Firefox 4 Final Release Schedule

Damon Sicore

Mar 15, 2011, 1:51:42 PM3/15/11
to mozilla.dev.planning group, everyone@mozilla.com Mozilla
All,

Firefox 4 RC1 has received a very warm welcome; it's time to make a decision to ship. As of now, there are no known issues that would stop us from shipping RC1 as final. At the conclusion of our regular 11:30AM triage session on Wednesday, March 16th, release drivers will decide whether to ship RC1 as Firefox 4.

March 22nd is the day we would ship. Both IT and Marketing have indicated that March 22nd is an acceptable final launch date. If at any time we discover issues that would block final release, we would issue an RC2 as soon as possible, reset the ship date, and communicate to everyone.

All my best,

Damon

Axel Hecht

Mar 15, 2011, 2:14:04 PM3/15/11
For l10n, an RC 2 would be useful.

For one, we'd be able to take Vietnamese now, which landed just shortly
after RC, for 500k ADUs (en-US has 1M in Vietnam).

There are some 24/25 other localizations that'd be better now than when
we did RC1.
https://l10n-stage-sj.mozilla.org/shipping/about-milestone/fx4.0rc2?updated-facet=fx4.0rc1
has links to the individual diffs if anyone feels really curious, but
all of them got source-review by me. (25 is Hungarian that could take
some search engine fixes)

Can't comment on what doing such an RC2 would mean for the release at large.

Axel

Ehsan Akhgari

Mar 15, 2011, 2:19:09 PM3/15/11
to Axel Hecht, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
Are these changes that we can take for Firefox 4.0.1?

Ehsan

Shawn Wilsher

Mar 15, 2011, 2:22:00 PM3/15/11
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
On 3/15/2011 11:14 AM, Axel Hecht wrote:
> There are some 24/25 other localizations that'd be better now than when
> we did RC1.
> https://l10n-stage-sj.mozilla.org/shipping/about-milestone/fx4.0rc2?updated-facet=fx4.0rc1
> has links to the individual diffs if anyone feels really curious, but
> all of them got source-review by me. (25 is Hungarian that could take
> some search engine fixes)
What do you mean by "be better now than when we did RC1"? Were they not
included in RC1, or did they improve their strings?

Cheers,

Shawn

Axel Hecht

Mar 15, 2011, 2:28:45 PM3/15/11

Improved their strings, the only new locale would be Vietnamese.

Axel

Axel Hecht

Mar 15, 2011, 2:30:44 PM3/15/11
On 15.03.11 19:19, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
> Are these changes that we can take for Firefox 4.0.1?

I don't plan on the existance of 4.0.1, really. Also, there's pushback
on taking l10n changes in particular on chemspills.

I'd guess we could phrase that as "we can make us take those for 4.0.1".

Axel

Mike Beltzner

Mar 15, 2011, 2:38:08 PM3/15/11
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
Hey everyone,

I don't think Damon's email was an invitation to start expressing
reasons to do an RC2. The right way to address those concerns is to:

- file a bug and nominate it by setting blocking2.0 to "?"
- hop into #planning on irc.mozilla.org and find a driver
- email release-drivers@ with your concern

cheers,
mike

Kyle Huey

Mar 15, 2011, 2:42:55 PM3/15/11
to Axel Hecht, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
Do we really need to spin another RC to take additional locales? That seems
... odd. Can't we just rerun the relevant repacks?

- Kyle

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Axel Hecht <l1...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> For l10n, an RC 2 would be useful.
>
> For one, we'd be able to take Vietnamese now, which landed just shortly
> after RC, for 500k ADUs (en-US has 1M in Vietnam).
>
> There are some 24/25 other localizations that'd be better now than when we
> did RC1.

> https://l10n-stage-sj.mozilla.org/shipping/about-milestone/fx4.0rc2?updated-facet=fx4.0rc1has links to the individual diffs if anyone feels really curious, but all of

> them got source-review by me. (25 is Hungarian that could take some search
> engine fixes)
>
> Can't comment on what doing such an RC2 would mean for the release at
> large.
>
> Axel
>

> On 15.03.11 18:51, Damon Sicore wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> Firefox 4 RC1 has received a very warm welcome; it's time to make a
>> decision to ship. As of now, there are no known issues that would stop us
>> from shipping RC1 as final. At the conclusion of our regular 11:30AM triage
>> session on Wednesday, March 16th, release drivers will decide whether to
>> ship RC1 as Firefox 4.
>>
>> March 22nd is the day we would ship. Both IT and Marketing have indicated
>> that March 22nd is an acceptable final launch date. If at any time we
>> discover issues that would block final release, we would issue an RC2 as
>> soon as possible, reset the ship date, and communicate to everyone.
>>
>> All my best,
>>
>> Damon

Armen Zambrano Gasparnian

Mar 15, 2011, 2:54:45 PM3/15/11
On 11-03-15 2:42 PM, Kyle Huey wrote:
> Do we really need to spin another RC to take additional locales? That seems
> ... odd. Can't we just rerun the relevant repacks?
>
> - Kyle

The automation is not as flexible and it has not been done before.
It would be manual for most parts.

- armenzg

Gervase Markham

Mar 16, 2011, 12:14:24 PM3/16/11
On 15/03/11 18:54, Armen Zambrano Gasparnian wrote:
> The automation is not as flexible and it has not been done before.
> It would be manual for most parts.

Could we do it for just .vi? I.e. 3 builds, manually?

My stats (albeit with the usual caveats) show it's a major locale -
1.32% of the world's internet population speaks Vietnamese:
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/gerv/archives/2011/03/major_browsers_ui_language_coverage_stat.html

Gerv

Ben Hearsum

Mar 16, 2011, 12:19:22 PM3/16/11
to Gervase Markham

I don't think a final release is the place for us to be doing manual,
error prone hackery like this. I'm strongly against doing this.

Gervase Markham

Mar 16, 2011, 12:23:45 PM3/16/11
On 16/03/11 16:19, Ben Hearsum wrote:
> I don't think a final release is the place for us to be doing manual,
> error prone hackery like this. I'm strongly against doing this.

If you only spoke Vietnamese, you might think differently :-)

I'm not saying we need to rush to do it in time for the release on March
22nd - we can take our time, and get the .vi community to test it for
us. We could even release it as "beta" language, as I believe we have
done for some languages in previous releases - a separate section at the
bottom of the download page.

I'm just saying that for 1.32% of the world/500K ADUs, however you want
to put it, plus the big efforts of the .vi l0n team, we should be able
to do _something_ more than just say "sorry, guys, your l10n team was a
day late so now you have to wait for Firefox 5".

Gerv

Ben Hearsum

Mar 16, 2011, 12:30:28 PM3/16/11
to Gervase Markham
On 03/16/11 12:23 PM, Gervase Markham wrote:
> On 16/03/11 16:19, Ben Hearsum wrote:
>> I don't think a final release is the place for us to be doing manual,
>> error prone hackery like this. I'm strongly against doing this.
> I'm not saying we need to rush to do it in time for the release on March
> 22nd - we can take our time, and get the .vi community to test it for
> us. We could even release it as "beta" language, as I believe we have
> done for some languages in previous releases - a separate section at the
> bottom of the download page.
>
> I'm just saying that for 1.32% of the world/500K ADUs, however you want
> to put it, plus the big efforts of the .vi l0n team, we should be able
> to do _something_ more than just say "sorry, guys, your l10n team was a
> day late so now you have to wait for Firefox 5".
>
> Gerv

I didn't say we had to wait until 5. Adding it in 4.0.1 is perfectly
fine with me.

I'm against doing it in 4.0 because we have no experience adding a
locale at this point in a release, from a RelEng standpoint. We have no
ideas what the gotchas are, or what things it will cause issue with in
subsequent point releases. A final release is tricky and complicated
enough without adding in this unknown.

We are working on making late-stage locale additions possible, but
currently, it's not.

- Ben

Kyle Huey

Mar 16, 2011, 12:41:18 PM3/16/11
to Ben Hearsum, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
Is there going to be a 4.0.1? My (very limited) understanding is that there
are no plans for a 4.0.1 short of a chemspill.

- Kyle

Ben Hearsum

Mar 16, 2011, 1:07:23 PM3/16/11
to Kyle Huey, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
I'm not exactly sure what the plans are. If we're not doing a 4.0.1 at
all, that changes the equation a bit, but I still fall in favour of
leaving out .vi for the same reasons. In any case, release drivers will
be making the call.

Ben Hearsum

Mike Beltzner

Mar 16, 2011, 1:13:07 PM3/16/11
to Ben Hearsum, Kyle Huey, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
We are not doing a repackaging just for .vi, period. If an RC2 is required, we'll be sure to make it. Otherwise: it waits.

cheers,
mike

Justin Dolske

Mar 16, 2011, 4:36:35 PM3/16/11
On 3/16/11 9:41 AM, Kyle Huey wrote:
> Is there going to be a 4.0.1? My (very limited) understanding is that there
> are no plans for a 4.0.1 short of a chemspill.

My understanding is that Firefox 4 will follow the same
stability/security point-release process as Firefox 3.6 did. As such,
there will be a Firefox 4.0.1 at some point after 4.0 is released.

But AFAIK there isn't a specific schedule for it yet, other than the
usual 6 week (or whatever it was) cadence we've previously targeted for
.x updates. (Or, more bluntly, we're not cheating the 4.0 release by
having a quick 4.0.1 instead of holding 4.0. ;)

Justin

Christian Legnitto

Mar 16, 2011, 4:43:43 PM3/16/11
to Justin Dolske, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
There is a meeting coming out on this very point today. Hold tight.

Christian

Christian Legnitto

Mar 16, 2011, 4:52:52 PM3/16/11
to Christian Legnitto, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org, Justin Dolske
And by meeting I mean email of course.

On Mar 16, 2011, at 1:43 PM, Christian Legnitto wrote:

> There is a meeting coming out on this very point today. Hold tight.
>
> Christian

Mike Shaver

Mar 16, 2011, 6:18:26 PM3/16/11
to Gervase Markham, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Gervase Markham <ge...@mozilla.org> wrote:
> I'm just saying that for 1.32% of the world/500K ADUs, however you want to
> put it, plus the big efforts of the .vi l0n team, we should be able to do
> _something_ more than just say "sorry, guys, your l10n team was a day late
> so now you have to wait for Firefox 5".

We're saying that to everyone, with many kinds of patches that affect
*all* our users. It's not a "day late", RC was frozen many days ago.

Firefox 5 will be in ~3 months, people can wait and make sure their
strings are updated for a smaller release. It's not the end of the
world.

Mike

Gervase Markham

Mar 16, 2011, 6:22:17 PM3/16/11
On 16/03/11 22:18, Mike Shaver wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Gervase Markham<ge...@mozilla.org> wrote:
>> I'm just saying that for 1.32% of the world/500K ADUs, however you want to
>> put it, plus the big efforts of the .vi l0n team, we should be able to do
>> _something_ more than just say "sorry, guys, your l10n team was a day late
>> so now you have to wait for Firefox 5".
>
> We're saying that to everyone, with many kinds of patches that affect
> *all* our users.

The difference here from taking "just one more patch" is that the risk
of doing special builds it is limited only to the .vi users actually
using them. The release can go ahead exactly as planned.

> It's not a "day late", RC was frozen many days ago.

To be clear, by "a day late", I was referring to a statement of Axel's
where he said that the .vi team missed the deadline for RC1 by 1 day. I
wasn't suggesting that now is only 1 day late.

Gerv

Axel Hecht

Mar 16, 2011, 6:34:03 PM3/16/11

To clarify, as it was me that spread that data point.

vi was actually a week late with sign-off, a day late with trying to
land. bug 469634 said that they can't push on RC build date, bug 640111
was fixed on RC release date only. Sign-off on the tested localization
post the landing that day came in March 10th.

Not that that has a lot of impact on the outcome here at this point.

Axel

Corporate Learning Satya

Mar 17, 2011, 12:16:05 AM3/17/11
to satya24...@gmail.com

Hi All,

1 - Printing from FF4 was not successful for irctc.co.in. This was
working fine in FF3.6. Would you kindly look into this?
2 - Please keep the "Feedback" button in the release. It helps
providing feedback right from browser.
3 - Button at top left corner of firefox4 looks more beautiful by
adding the addon "Movable FF Button". Please make it inbuilt before
shipping FF

Regards,
satya24...@gmail.com

BeatPoet

Mar 17, 2011, 3:59:10 PM3/17/11
to satya24...@gmail.com
Has the memory issue with FF been resolved.. It has been known to be a memoryhog, and frankly that issue has been the biggest backdraw with FF. Other than that I am very satisfied with the browser.

Asa Dotzler

Mar 17, 2011, 4:54:06 PM3/17/11
On 3/17/2011 12:59 PM, BeatPoet wrote:
> Has the memory issue with FF been resolved.. It has been known to be a memoryhog, and frankly that issue has been the biggest backdraw with FF. Other than that I am very satisfied with the browser.

Yes. The memory issue with FF has been resolved. Thanks for your interest.

- A

Robert O'Callahan

Mar 17, 2011, 5:14:34 PM3/17/11
to Christian Legnitto, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org, Justin Dolske
On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Christian Legnitto <cleg...@mozilla.com>wrote

> There is a meeting coming out on this very point today. Hold tight.

So what's the answer?

I really, really want a 4.0.1 :-). We have lots of fixes for blocker-ish
bugs that should go into it.

Rob

Mike Beltzner

Mar 17, 2011, 5:16:45 PM3/17/11
to rob...@ocallahan.org, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org, Christian Legnitto, Justin Dolske
On 2011-03-17, at 5:14 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Christian Legnitto <cleg...@mozilla.com>wrote
>
>> There is a meeting coming out on this very point today. Hold tight.
>>

> So what's the answer?
>
> I really, really want a 4.0.1 :-). We have lots of fixes for blocker-ish
> bugs that should go into it.

SPOILER ALERT!

(Yes)

More detailed plan to follow, I believe.

cheers,
mike

Impy

Mar 17, 2011, 11:40:13 PM3/17/11
On Mar 15, 7:51 pm, Damon Sicore <dsic...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> Firefox 4 RC1 has received a very warm welcome; it's time to make a decision to ship.  As of now, there are no known issues that would stop us from shipping RC1 as final.  At the conclusion of our regular 11:30AM triage session on Wednesday, March 16th, release drivers will decide whether to ship RC1 as Firefox 4.
>
> March 22nd is the day we would ship.  Both IT and Marketing have indicated that March 22nd is an acceptable final launch date.  If at any time we discover issues that would block final release, we would issue an RC2 as soon as possible, reset the ship date, and communicate to everyone.
>
> All my best,
>
> Damon

Having a small issue with Firefox 4 Beta RC1, long-standing from about
Firefox 4 Beta 8-10 or something.

Each time I launch Firefox, it shows up with Restore Session, and now
with RC1 the "thanks for Downloading Firefox 4" page which only shows
up once on first launch. Issue with Restore Session is that it always
wants to restore the same session, its one from over a month ago.
Whenever I quit Firefox, even with the setting "Show my windows and
tabs from last time" it always shows Restore Session for a session
over a month old now.

Also, Firefox 4 Beta 13 had some nice changes to the back and forth
buttons, they went from circular to square with round edges, I haven't
seen that in RC1. Will we be seeing it in Firefox 5 Beta or "Firefox
4.0.1"?

Anthony Hughes

Mar 17, 2011, 11:57:55 PM3/17/11
to achille...@gmail.com, mozilla.dev.planning group
Thanks for your interest in Firefox 4!

With regards to the session restore issue, could you please file a bug
at the link below so we can investigate? Please give us as much detail
as possible.

http://bit.ly/dNU9iW

With regards to the back and forward buttons, these have not changed
since beta 13. If the look of your buttons have changed, it could be
due to a recent add-on, theme, or persona change. However, if there
have been no changes, you might want to file a bug on that too
http://bit.ly/hnmKTR

Cheers!

--
Anthony Hughes
Mozilla QA Engineer

Anthony Hughes

Mar 18, 2011, 12:00:01 AM3/18/11
to achille...@gmail.com, mozilla.dev.planning group
Oh, and in case it wasn't clear, this isn't really the appropriate
channel for reporting issues. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ is always
best for that.

Thanks again!

Impy