how to file a legal approval for a dictionary?

Fjoerfoks

Oct 20, 2006, 7:00:09 AM10/20/06
Hi all and especially Gervase,

I am planning on writing a letter to an official organisation to ask
for permission on using their dictionary into Mozilla Products.
How do I have to handle this or does Mozilla have to do this?

Thanks in advance for your answer

Kind regards,
--
W.

Benjamin Smedberg

Oct 20, 2006, 9:14:17 AM10/20/06
Fjoerfoks wrote:
> Hi all and especially Gervase,
>
> I am planning on writing a letter to an official organisation to ask
> for permission on using their dictionary into Mozilla Products.
> How do I have to handle this or does Mozilla have to do this?

I'll let gerv answer for certain, but I think the question you should be
asking is for the organization to license their dictionary under a license
that is compatible with Mozilla code. This could be the MPL/LGPL/GPL
tri-license, or a more liberal license such as a MIT or BSD-style license.

--BDS

Gervase Markham

Oct 20, 2006, 10:03:52 AM10/20/06
Fjoerfoks wrote:
> Hi all and especially Gervase,
>
> I am planning on writing a letter to an official organisation to ask
> for permission on using their dictionary into Mozilla Products.
> How do I have to handle this or does Mozilla have to do this?

Assume by "using their dictionary in Mozilla products", you mean "check
the dictionary into mozilla.org CVS and have it shipped with the default
builds of Firefox and Thunderbird for that language"?

If so, then the dictionary needs to be made available under an open
source copyright licence by someone who owns the copyright to it.
Suitable licenses are:

New BSD licence
MPL/LGPL/GPL tri-licence

If they have any questions about what that might mean, they should email
lice...@mozilla.org.

Gerv