Netvibes as a default feed handler in Firefox l10ns

Marek Stępień

Mar 29, 2007, 7:33:07 AM3/29/07
Currently most of the locales use English-only feed handlers
like Bloglines and Google Reader, copied from en-US.
Only fr and pl have Netvibes.com as one of the choices.

I think it'd be good to re-consider having Netvibes in more locales, so
that more of them can offer localized RSS experience (hell froze over,
/me using marketingspeak!).

Looking at this blog post:
http://blog.netvibes.com/?2006/10/25/83-firefox-2-and-netvibes
I think Netvibes wouldn't have anything against us having them in more
locales.

Below is a list of languages that Netvibes is currently available in:

* Afrikaans
* العربية (Arabic)
* Български
* বাংলা (Bengali)
* Bosanski
* Català
* Corsu
* Česky
* Dansk
* Deutsch
* Ελληνικά (Greek)
* English
* Esperanto
* Español (Argentina)
* Español (Chile)
* Español (España)
* Español (México)
* Español (Venezuela)
* Eesti
* Euskara
* فارسیی (Persian)
* Suomi
* Français
* Gaeilge
* Galego
* עברית (Hebrew)
* हिन्दी (Hindi)
* Hrvatski
* Magyar
* Italiano
* 日本語 (Japanese)
* 한국어 (Korean)
* Lietuvių
* Latviešu
* Македонски
* मराठी (Marathi)
* Malti
* नेपाली (Nepali)
* Nederlands
* Norsk (nynorsk)
* Norsk (bokmål)
* Occitan
* Polski
* Português (Brasil)
* Português (Portugal)
* Română
* Руccкий
* Slovenčina
* Slovenščina
* Shqip
* Srpski
* Svenska
* தமிழ் (Tamil)
* ไทย(Thai)
* Türkçe
* Українська
* Valencià
* Tiếng Việt
* 中文 (简体) (Chinese/CN)
* 繁體中文(臺灣) (Chinese/TW)

--
Marek Stępień <marcoos at aviary dot pl>
Aviary.pl Team

Axel Hecht

Mar 29, 2007, 7:58:10 AM3/29/07
Marek Stępień wrote:
> Currently most of the locales use English-only feed handlers
> like Bloglines and Google Reader, copied from en-US.
> Only fr and pl have Netvibes.com as one of the choices.
>
> I think it'd be good to re-consider having Netvibes in more locales, so
> that more of them can offer localized RSS experience (hell froze over,
> /me using marketingspeak!).
>
> Looking at this blog post:
> http://blog.netvibes.com/?2006/10/25/83-firefox-2-and-netvibes
> I think Netvibes wouldn't have anything against us having them in more
> locales.

bloglines seems to be available in more languages, too. Though I wasn't
impressed by their German intro page, translating "share" with "Teile",
which is closer to "split" than to "share".

Anyway, it seems to me that we didn't invest a lot of time into getting
the feedreader performance good on a global scale for Firefox 2, and I'd
rather not do substantial changes on Firefox 2 now.

We can and should look into this for Firefox 3, though. Content handling
is going to be much bigger in Firefox 3, including more stuff being able
to handed over to webservices. The understanding of that is currently
evolving though, so we didn't have any l10n impact meeting on that yet.

If you have suggestions for other webservices being able to do something
good with data formats on the web, getting those in can only help.

Axel

Mic

Mar 29, 2007, 11:45:44 AM3/29/07

I checked out Boglines and here is their list of languages they have
available:
* English
* Español
* 日本語
* 繁體中文
* Français
* Deutsch
* Português
* Italiano
* Nederlands

I agree with Axel, looking at this again for Firefox 3 makes sense.
Thanks for bringing this up Marek
Best
mic

Marek Stępień

Mar 29, 2007, 12:45:08 PM3/29/07
Mic pisze:

> I agree with Axel, looking at this again for Firefox 3 makes sense.
> Thanks for bringing this up Marek

Well, there are new locales being released for 2.0.0.x, so at least they
should be able to use Netvibes...

Since two locales (French and Polish) already use that, the properties
from region.properties can be simply copied&pasted to any other locale
that would want Netvibes. The URL would stay the same, only the number
in the property name may need to be changed.

http://lxr.mozilla.org/l10n-mozilla1.8/search?string=Netvibes

And as Mic okayed Netvibes for Polish and French locales, there wouldn't
be much to do from BD side in 2.0.0.x releases either for other locales,
right? Or am I missing something here?

Axel Hecht

Mar 29, 2007, 3:29:14 PM3/29/07

No, for new locales, we'll look into it. There is of course more to a
feedreader than just the UI language, we'll likely want to gather more
opinions on the alternatives.

Axel

Ricardo Palomares Martinez

Mar 29, 2007, 3:55:26 PM3/29/07
Marek Stępień escribió:

> Currently most of the locales use English-only feed handlers
> like Bloglines and Google Reader, copied from en-US.
> Only fr and pl have Netvibes.com as one of the choices.
>
> I think it'd be good to re-consider having Netvibes in more locales, so
> that more of them can offer localized RSS experience (hell froze over,
> /me using marketingspeak!).

Actually, we (es-ES) looked a bit into it, but we (mainly me, which
was mostly alone at that time) discarded it just because a matter of
time until l10n deadline.

Anyway, Fx 2.0.0.x may be out of consideration (or not, I'm not in
position to judge that), but if Netvibes is available in so many
languages, maybe it could have sense that their localized versions are
shipped by default in every locale through an agreement with Mozilla
Foundation/Corporation (I never know which are in charge of what), :-)
in a similar way of how Google is doing. :-?

Ricardo.

--
If it's true that we are here to help others,
then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?

Benoit

Mar 30, 2007, 9:00:02 AM3/30/07
Marek Stępień a écrit :

> Currently most of the locales use English-only feed handlers
> like Bloglines and Google Reader, copied from en-US.
> Only fr and pl have Netvibes.com as one of the choices.

FWIW, we specifically asked for it in French because at the time this
feature was introduced, Netvibes was by far the most popular online
agregator available in French (Google Reader didn't even exist in French).

Even now, it's still in the top 100 ranked sites for France on Alexa,
while in Poland it barely enters the top 2000:
http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?url=netvibes.com

Compare with Bloglines, which is quite popular in Spain (about the same
rank as Netvibes), far less in France and not at all in Poland:
http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?url=bloglines.com

(Note thant the popularity of Google Reader isn't measurable at all,
since it hasn't a proper domain name.)

That's why I think the choice of online feed agregators is very
locale-dependent, and there isn't something as a good choice for
everyone. I'd be careful before suggesting a global agreement with any
of those.

Marek Stępień

Mar 30, 2007, 9:57:50 AM3/30/07
Benoit pisze:

> That's why I think the choice of online feed agregators is very
> locale-dependent, and there isn't something as a good choice for
> everyone. I'd be careful before suggesting a global agreement with any
> of those.

I was not suggesting a global agreement whatsoever, but I consider
having *only* non-localized feed handlers in a Firefox locale
when a localized Netvibes exists a bug.

In pl we ship the en-US handlers plus Netvibes and Startowy.com (the
only usable Polish feed handler I know of).