XUL Image

conlan

Sep 25, 2006, 9:40:57 PM9/25/06
Is it possible to place an image in the window that can be moved to
anywhere in the window, and always remain on top of everything else?
(similiar to using position:absolute and z-index:100000 in HTML)

eric...@yahoo.com

Sep 25, 2006, 10:17:28 PM9/25/06
to dev-ext...@lists.mozilla.org
Why not apply those styles (position:absolute and z-index:100000) to the <image/> element?

Adiel Oz

Sep 26, 2006, 7:26:19 AM9/26/06
to eric...@yahoo.com, dev-ext...@lists.mozilla.org
You can use the stack element - any element that inside the <stack> tag can
be set by "top" and "left" attributes to layout it exactly in the coordinate
you want.
look about "stack" in xul planet - i think this tag is replaced the tag
<bulletinboard> so you should also look on it for better understanding

On 9/26/06, eric...@yahoo.com <eric...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Why not apply those styles (position:absolute and z-index:100000) to the
> <image/> element?

Neil

Sep 26, 2006, 7:26:54 AM9/26/06
eric...@yahoo.com top-posted:

>conlan wrote:
>
>>Is it possible to place an image in the window that can be moved to anywhere in the window, and always remain on top of everything else? (similiar to using position:absolute and z-index:100000 in HTML)
>

>Why not apply those styles (position:absolute and z-index:100000) to the <image/> element?

Because it won't work in XUL.

To answer the original question, you can almost do this with a stack:
<window ...>
<stack flex="1">
<image top="40" left="80"/>
<vbox>
<!-- other content here -->
</vbox>
</stack>
</window>
The only restriction is that your image can't overlap the right or
bottom of the window. There are workarounds to this restriction by
messing around with overflow or negative margins but I forgot offhand
how to do that.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.