how does downloadhelper work?

Sean Neilan

Jan 10, 2010, 6:12:47 AM1/10/10
to dev-ext...@lists.mozilla.org
Dear Firefox Users,

I am wondering how Video DownloadHelper works:

How does it know that an mp3 is playing in the browser? How does it know
that I'm loading a youtube video? How does it know if a flash app (or maybe
even an html 5 app) is playing an mp3?

It would be most appreciated if someone could point me in the right
direction. What should I be looking up?

Thank you for your time.

-Sean

Sébastien Lorquet

Jan 10, 2010, 5:23:55 PM1/10/10
to dev-ext...@lists.mozilla.org
I'm an extension newbie, but I imagine there is a way for extensions to
access the DOM in a tab and parse it to find <object> <video> nodes, then
use a plugin to download the real files accessed by these objects.

This is what I did before: display/get the page source, search for "wma",
"asx" or "mms://" and go from here.

other example, given a youtube URL I kown there is a way to access the real
file. Then you just need a regex to detect a youtube url, filter out the
video id, and run the "protocol" to download the real video file :)

there should be lots of templates, one (or more?) for each supported site.
Regards
Seb

Sean Neilan

Jan 10, 2010, 5:40:28 PM1/10/10
to Sébastien Lorquet, dev-ext...@lists.mozilla.org
ok, got it.

I was looking up something about the memory cache though. I
typed about:cache?device=memory into the url and found every single mp3 I
listened to. I could click on one of the urls & view all the data for it &
know it was an mp3 by the content-type.

I suppose if one can make an extension that automates firefox & uses the
memory cache, one can go and download lots of youtube videos or something
like that.

hujian...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2013, 8:11:31 AM1/27/13
to dev-ext...@lists.mozilla.org
I'm also wondering how could it detects the media file...

But I think it is not just based on filter the page's html source. Because I found some sites, mp3/swf file is loaded dynamically. And there is no link referring to the file on source code.

在 2010年1月11日星期一UTC+8上午6时23分55秒,Sébastien Lorquet写道:

jeremy.fir...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2013, 5:32:18 PM1/27/13
to dev-ext...@lists.mozilla.org
It listens in on the HTTP connection and parses out incoming media. Which is as big a PIA as you might imagine :P