Any Data Encryption Libraries?

Jeremy Gillick

Oct 4, 2006, 3:36:48 PM10/4/06
For my new extension I need to save user entered information safely to a file on their computer.
Ideally I would encrypt the content first. Are there any built-in libraries my extension can use to
do this? I don't want to use C or C++ code in the extension if I don't have to (don't want to
compile and test for all OSes).

Thanks,
Jeremy

Eric H. Jung

Oct 4, 2006, 9:32:44 PM10/4/06
to dev-ext...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Jeremy,

You have a couple options:

1. You can use nsISecretDecoderRing.encryptString() and nsISecretDecoderRing.decryptString(). However, I'm not sure how/if that works if the user hasn't defined a master password in Options->Security->Use a master password. Worth investigating, though.

2. You can AES-128 or AES-256 symmetric encryption via aes.js. The only issue then becomes where to store the key. See how I use AES-256 with PasswordMaker here: http://tinyurl.com/pp79t (http://passwordmaker.org/passwordmaker.html also encrypts its cookies with AES-256).

FYI, PasswordMaker is not unlike your SecurePassword Generator.

Regards,
Eric
p.s. how does one get a job at Yahoo! :)

Thanks,
Jeremy