Update check failing in Firefox 2.0 if add-on type is 8

aj_...@hotmail.com

Oct 6, 2006, 9:41:19 AM10/6/06
Hello everybody.

I'm testing a custom update.rdf file for a langpack using the official
version of Firefox 2.0 RC 1.

The update check for the langpack works correctly only if I set the
add-on type to 2 (extension) in install.rdf. In the same identical
conditions, if I use the add-on type 8 (locale) the update check fails.

It seems that Firefox 2.0 considers only themes and extensions during
the update check, ignoring langpacks. (Firefox 1.5 is not affected by
this issue).

Has anyone experienced the same problem? I include below the logs of my
tests.

Regards,
Andreas

TEST #1
langpack version 0.1 using the add-on type 2 (extension)
update.rdf containing information about an updated version (0.2)

RDFItemUpdater:checkForUpdates sending a request to server for:
http://www.example.org/update.rdf, item =
({id:"8type...@example.org", version:"0.1",
installLocationKey:"app-profile", minAppVersion:"2.0",
maxAppVersion:"2.0", name:"My Language Pack", xpiURL:"none",
xpiHash:"",
iconURL:"chrome://mozapps/skin/xpinstall/xpinstallItemGeneric.png",
updateRDF:"http://www.example.org/update.rdf", type:2})

RDFItemUpdater:onDatasourceLoaded: Found a newer version of this item:
({id:"8type...@example.org", version:"0.2",
installLocationKey:"app-profile", minAppVersion:"2.0",
maxAppVersion:"2.0", name:"My Language Pack",
xpiURL:"http://www.example.org/langpack-0.2.xpi", xpiHash:null,
iconURL:"", updateRDF:"", type:2})

TEST #2
langpack version 0.1 using the add-on type 8 (locale)
update.rdf unchanged

RDFItemUpdater:checkForUpdates sending a request to server for:
http://www.example.org/update.rdf, item =
({id:"8type...@example.org", version:"0.1",
installLocationKey:"app-profile", minAppVersion:"2.0",
maxAppVersion:"2.0", name:"My Language Pack", xpiURL:"none",
xpiHash:"",
iconURL:"chrome://mozapps/skin/xpinstall/xpinstallItemGeneric.png",
updateRDF:"http://www.example.org/update.rdf", type:8})

RDFItemUpdater:_parseV20UpdateInfo: No updates were found for:
8type...@example.org
If you are an Extension developer and were expecting there to be
updates, this could mean any number of things, since the RDF system
doesn't give up much in the way of information when the load fails.

Try checking that:
1. Your RDF File is correct - e.g. check that there is a top level
RDF Resource with a URI urn:mozilla:extension:{GUID}, and that
the <em:updates> listed all have matching GUIDs.