Proper protocol to get comments on patch for old bug

Kent James

Nov 9, 2006, 2:24:22 PM11/9/06
I added some comments a couple of weeks ago to an old bug #209890
concerning some changes that I am proposing to allow junkscore to be
usefully displayed, but I received no comments on my proposals. Now I
want to add a work-in-process patch.

How can I be sure that the relevant people are actually reading that
bug? The bug is classified as Core/Mailnews:Filters but assigned to a
"not reading" sspitzer address. The changes required are not trivial,
like changing an existing interface and adding a new "junkstatus" field
to the message database. I would like to make sure that the current
developers agree with the proposed direction before I spend more time
testing and refining the patch.

--
Kent James

Mike Cowperthwaite

Nov 9, 2006, 10:44:16 PM11/9/06

If you request a review on the patch, somebody will look at it. For
this particular patch, request it of David: Set the patch's review
flag to '?' and put 'bien...@nventure.com' in the requestee field.

I just cleared Seth's "assignment" to that bug; as far as I know, he
hasn't submitted a patch in years despite being the assignee for
hundreds of bugs. Burocracy plus an unfunded development effort in action.

Kent James

Nov 9, 2006, 11:19:35 PM11/9/06
Is it appropriate to request a review of a work-in-process patch that is
not ready for checkin?

David Bienvenu

Nov 9, 2006, 11:55:09 PM11/9/06
Kent James wrote:
> Is it appropriate to request a review of a work-in-process patch that
> is not ready for checkin?
formal review, no, but you can ask for comments...I won't be able to
look at it for a few days, however.

- David

Kent James

Nov 10, 2006, 1:20:27 AM11/10/06
So how do I ask for comments without asking for formal review? Do I set
the flags as suggested by mcow, and make it clear in the attachment
comments that I only want comments?

- Kent

David Bienvenu

Nov 11, 2006, 11:26:08 AM11/11/06
Just make sure whoever you want comments from is cc'ed on the bug, and
ask for comments. And if you don't get a response in a few days, ask
again :-) I'm on vacation right now, so it'll be a while before I'll
have time to add comments.

- David