Thunderbird Courier-IMAP compatibilit

Ben Hearsum

Nov 9, 2006, 2:18:05 PM11/9/06

I've got Thunderbird (20061105 - 2.0b1) set up with an IMAP account
where the server is Courier. I am currently only able to create
Subfolders of the INBOX. I'd like to be able to create top-level
folders as well. According to the Courier FAQ this is a problem with
the client.

>From http://www.courier-mta.org/FAQ.html#namespace:

"IMAP servers are free to define any root of the folder namespace tree
that's convenient for them. Courier's IMAP server uses INBOX as the
folder namespace root, rather than the root hierarchy itself. Courier
supports the NAMESPACE IMAP extension which allows compliant IMAP
clients to automatically configure themselves so that the folder
namespace root is transparent. Submit an enhancement request to have
your IMAP client gracefully handle the folder namespace root."

Does Thunderbird currently support this? Is there plans to in the
future?

Thanks.
- Ben

Sergiy Zhuk

Nov 9, 2006, 2:39:57 PM11/9/06
to Ben Hearsum, dev-apps-t...@lists.mozilla.org
hi

> I've got Thunderbird (20061105 - 2.0b1) set up with an IMAP account
> where the server is Courier. I am currently only able to create
> Subfolders of the INBOX. I'd like to be able to create top-level
> folders as well. According to the Courier FAQ this is a problem with
> the client.

All you have to do is to set IMAP server directory to INBOX in TB preferences.

// serge

Jay Lee

Nov 9, 2006, 3:23:40 PM11/9/06
to dev-apps-t...@lists.mozilla.org

Actually, it's account settings, server settings, advanced... and you put
INBOX. (with the period) in IMAP Server directory.

Jay
--
Jay Lee
Network / Systems Administrator

Ben Hearsum

Nov 12, 2006, 12:13:07 PM11/12/06

Jay Lee wrote:

> On Thu, November 9, 2006 2:39 pm, Sergiy Zhuk wrote:
> >> I've got Thunderbird (20061105 - 2.0b1) set up with an IMAP account
> >> where the server is Courier. I am currently only able to create
> >> Subfolders of the INBOX. I'd like to be able to create top-level
> >> folders as well. According to the Courier FAQ this is a problem with the
> >> client.
> >
> > All you have to do is to set IMAP server directory to INBOX in TB
> > preferences.
>
> Actually, it's account settings, server settings, advanced... and you put
> INBOX. (with the period) in IMAP Server directory.

Thanks Jay, that did it!

Ben Hearsum

Nov 9, 2006, 2:47:38 PM11/9/06
to Sergiy Zhuk, dev-apps-t...@lists.mozilla.org
On 11/9/06, Sergiy Zhuk <ser...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> hi

> > I've got Thunderbird (20061105 - 2.0b1) set up with an IMAP account
> > where the server is Courier. I am currently only able to create
> > Subfolders of the INBOX. I'd like to be able to create top-level
> > folders as well. According to the Courier FAQ this is a problem with
> > the client.
>
> All you have to do is to set IMAP server directory to INBOX in TB preferences.

I've set mail.imap.server_sub_directory to 'INBOX', restarted TB but
creating a folder still fails without an error message.

- Ben

Jay Lee