Additional option for account configuration

Vic

Nov 15, 2006, 2:01:28 PM11/15/06
Hi all!,
Right now in Thunderbird there is an option in account configuration panel
to delete the messages from the server as soon as they are either deleted
or move out of inbox folder.

I think a new option is required to just delete the messages from the
server whenever they are deleted in Thunderbird.

Many people access their mail accounts from both Thunderbird and webmail,
so the messages usually need to be kept in the server. However, if the user
selects the option currently available to delete the messages when they are
either deleted from inbox or move out of inbox folder the messages are
deleted too whenever filters are applied.

Thus, to avoid deleting the messages while applying the filters you need to
disable deleting the messages from the server at all. Disabling this option
would be ok, except for the case of SPAM messages. As long as messages are
not deleted from the server until they are a number of days old, SPAM
messages are kept in the server even if they are deleted in Thunderbird.

So, that's because I think a new option is required to delete the messages
from the server whenever they are deleted in Thunderbird, but not just when
they are deleted from inbox, but whenever they are deleted from any folder,
especially from trash folder.

Best regards,

Vic

hector

Nov 15, 2006, 2:16:44 PM11/15/06

"Vic" <not...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> So, that's because I think a new option is required to delete the messages
> from the server whenever they are deleted in Thunderbird, but not just
> when
> they are deleted from inbox, but whenever they are deleted from any
> folder,
> especially from trash folder.

Whether is for saving, keeping or deleting, SMTP Client applications MUST
remember they have no control over backend SERVER mail policies. This is
written in the RFCs.

See STD 53 (POP3)

8. Scaling and Operational Considerations

Sites are free to establish local policy regarding the storage and
retention of messages on the server, both read and unread. For
example, a site might delete unread messages from the server after
60 days and delete read messages after 7 days. Such message
deletions are outside the scope of the POP3 protocol and are not
considered a protocol violation.

Server operators enforcing message deletion policies should take
care to make all users aware of the policies in force.

Clients must not assume that a site policy will automate message
deletions, and should continue to explicitly delete messages using
the DELE command when appropriate.

It should be noted that enforcing site message deletion policies
may be confusing to the user community, since their POP3 client
may contain configuration options to leave mail on the server
which will not in fact be supported by the server.

That said, there is no reason for not adding your suggestion. Just
remember, that it may not be honored. Its entirely based on the Server Mail
Policies. Not Client Mail Policies.

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com

David Bienvenu

Nov 15, 2006, 2:24:45 PM11/15/06
In Thunderbird 2.0, the user has the choice of deleting messages from
the server when they're deleted from the client. The option of deleting
when messages are deleted or moved is now a hidden pref.

- David

Mike Cowperthwaite

Nov 15, 2006, 4:18:47 PM11/15/06
David Bienvenu wrote:
> In Thunderbird 2.0, the user has the choice of deleting messages from
> the server when they're deleted from the client. The option of deleting
> when messages are deleted or moved is now a hidden pref.

Huh; that fix slipped right past me unnoticed. Also in Seamonkey 1.1.

Work was done at:
http://mozillanews.org/bugzilla_warning.php3?id=226839

The hidden pref (which is global) is:
mail.pop3.deleteFromServerOnMove

David, does this work for mail that has been moved and then is deleted?
What about mail that is deleted via retention policy? Or Junk autoexpire?

David Bienvenu

Nov 15, 2006, 5:57:10 PM11/15/06
Mike Cowperthwaite wrote:

> David, does this work for mail that has been moved and then is deleted?

Yes, it doesn't matter what folder you delete the message from.

> What about mail that is deleted via retention policy? Or Junk autoexpire?

Yes, that should also caused mail to get deleted from the server, if
you've turned on delete from server on delete.

- David

hector

Nov 15, 2006, 7:29:32 PM11/15/06

"David Bienvenu" <bien...@mozilla.com> wrote in message

Just a clarification.

Clients makes a server request to delete mail, but whether the server does
or not, is purely a Local Mail Policy decision. There is no confirmation
e.g.,

C: DEL XYZ
S: OK, XYZ Deleted

No such thing..

In some systems, like ours, depending on the admin local policy, it might
mean to finally mark the message as received so that it doesn't appear as a
new message on the user's next mail pickup.

Vic

Nov 16, 2006, 6:03:51 AM11/16/06
It's great, I'm looking forward to get Thunderbird 2.0.
I find the e-mail policy Hector reports on a little bit obsolete.

Thanks for your help,

Vic

David Bienvenu <bien...@mozilla.com> wrote in

Vic

Nov 20, 2006, 11:20:07 AM11/20/06
Hi David,

I installed Thunderbird 2.0a1, but I can't find that option you talk
about.
Could you please tell me where it is located?
If it is a hidden pref, could you please tell me the name?

Thanks in advance,

Vic

> In Thunderbird 2.0, the user has the choice of deleting messages from

David Bienvenu

Nov 20, 2006, 2:35:45 PM11/20/06
In Tools | Account Settings | server settings, for your pop3 server,  Leave messages on server | until I delete them.

If in 1.5, you had selected "until I delete them or move them", that setting is automatically changed to "Until I delete them".

There's a hidden pref that restores the 1.5 functionality, but it sounds like you're interested in the newer functionality.

Vic

Nov 21, 2006, 6:53:47 AM11/21/06
Thanks David, I downloaded a newer Thunderbird 2 version and the option
is there.

David Bienvenu <bien...@nventure.com> wrote in