SeaMonkey now using "omnijar"

Robert Kaiser

Jan 19, 2011, 6:31:54 PM1/19/11
[re-posting
http://home.kairo.at/blog/2011-01/seamonkey_now_using_omnijar here as
well to make sure people get the info]

This Tuesday, I landed "omnijar" being used for SeaMonkey (bug 588067),
which greatly reduces the number of files installed on users' machines
by putting a large amount of all the UI and other things the application
needs into a single zipped-up file called "omni.jar" (Firefox and
Thunderbird also have switched to that recently). As most of those
contents need to be read on every launch of the application, and opening
files is costly in the operating systems, this step should improve
startup time of SeaMonkey starting with today's nightlies and the
upcoming SeaMonkey 2.1 Beta 2.
We're also shipping all built-in extensions as XPI files inside the
extensions folder of the application now, which more or less is the
equivalent to the omni.jar method but for add-ons.

If you're building your own versions of SeaMonkey, note that this is
switched on by default and you need to clobber your objdir to make
builds work correctly after this switch. You should be able to turn this
off with the --enable-chrome-format=jar (or any other chrome format you
used before) option, which might make things easier for developing but
gives you a different and probably slower build than what we ship to
testers and users from now on.

Please make us aware of any problem you're seeing, e.g. with updates,
which we tried to make work fine, but could not test before landing this
switch.

Robert Kaiser

Philip Chee

Jan 19, 2011, 8:22:50 PM1/19/11
On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 00:31:54 +0100, Robert Kaiser wrote:
> [re-posting
> http://home.kairo.at/blog/2011-01/seamonkey_now_using_omnijar here as
> well to make sure people get the info]

> If you're building your own versions of SeaMonkey, note that this is

> switched on by default and you need to clobber your objdir to make
> builds work correctly after this switch. You should be able to turn this
> off with the --enable-chrome-format=jar (or any other chrome format you
> used before) option, which might make things easier for developing but
> gives you a different and probably slower build than what we ship to
> testers and users from now on.

Actually with omnijar mozilla/dist/bin/chrome/ is in flat chrome
(un-jarred) format. Which seems to have triggered some obscure problems
with non-existent .DTD references in an extension of mine.

Phil

--
Philip Chee <phi...@aleytys.pc.my>, <phili...@gmail.com>

Robert Kaiser

Jan 20, 2011, 12:09:36 PM1/20/11
Philip Chee schrieb:

> Actually with omnijar mozilla/dist/bin/chrome/ is in flat chrome
> (un-jarred) format.

Yes, you need to "make package" to get the actual omnijar version in
dist/bin/seamonkey (and as packages as well).

Robert Kaiser

Philip Chee

Jan 20, 2011, 12:46:54 PM1/20/11

I'm now testing my patches off /mozilla/dist/seamonkey/ instead.

Tony Mechelynck

Jan 25, 2011, 5:31:33 AM1/25/11

One small "aesthetic" problem I'm having is that now the ChatZilla
window (for the built-in ChatZilla in the application folder) displays
the SeaMonkey icon on the taskbar instead of the ChatZilla icon. Someone
(Neil IIRC) told me on IRC that it was a consequence of the switch to
omnijar. But can we really not get the icon from within the .xpi the way
the addons manager does it for the icons of the not-unpacked XPIs in the
profile? This makes really many different window types with the same
icon: AFAICT there are still distinctive icons for the address book and
the message-compose window; then the message-display window and the
"3-pane" window both share the "mail" icon while the browser, the prefs
dialog, the view-source window, the bookmarks manager, and now the
ChatZilla window (and maybe some more which I use less often) all share
the "generic" SeaMonkey icon (AFAICT the print-preview "for browser"
overlays the browser window icon while the print-preview "for mail" gets
an additional SeaMonkey-generic icon)... At least gnome-panel (unlike
Microsoft Megabucks LoseDough) keeps the icons on the taskbar in the
order the windows were opened.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Speak roughly to your little VAX,
And boot it when it crashes;

Wow! Wow! Wow!

I speak severely to my VAX,
And boot it when it crashes;
In spite of all my favorite hacks
My jobs it always thrashes!

Wow! Wow! Wow!

Robert Kaiser

Jan 25, 2011, 7:52:56 AM1/25/11
Tony Mechelynck schrieb:

> One small "aesthetic" problem I'm having is that now the ChatZilla
> window (for the built-in ChatZilla in the application folder) displays
> the SeaMonkey icon on the taskbar instead of the ChatZilla icon.

That's known. In the longer term the platform has plans to gain reading
icons from inside the extension XPI. In the shorter term we might want
to either ship ChatZilla as an unpacked XPI (but not inside the app, we
are planning to make those extensions install themselves into users'
profiles automatically). or just include the icon in SeaMonkey itself,
like we still do for venkman.

> Someone
> (Neil IIRC) told me on IRC that it was a consequence of the switch to
> omnijar.

Indirectly, yes, but not directly due to omni.jar - it's because we are
now using the new unpacked extensions format as well.

As I said above, there's two possibilities to solve that, we should make
sure a bug is filed and we select one of those, but it's a minor
inconvenience, IMHO.

Robert Kaiser

--
Note that any statements of mine - no matter how passionate - are never
meant to be offensive but very often as food for thought or possible