Can't view Keith Olbermann Videos

Peter Lairo

Sep 26, 2006, 4:00:55 PM9/26/06
I can't view any Keith Olbermann Videos on
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14912584/ (press the "Launch" button)

Yes, I have flash installed. I've gotten the same results with trunk
nightly(*) and 1.5.7

Microsoft conspiracy? Firefox Bug?

(*) Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1)
Gecko/20060926 Minefield/3.0a1

PS. The videos are well worth watching!
--
Regards,

Peter Lairo

The browser you can trust: www.GetFirefox.com
Reclaim Your Inbox: www.GetThunderbird.com

Martijn

Sep 26, 2006, 5:16:48 PM9/26/06
to Peter Lairo, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
On 9/26/06, Peter Lairo <Pe...@noxxxspamlairo.com> wrote:
> I can't view any Keith Olbermann Videos on
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14912584/ (press the "Launch" button)
>
> Yes, I have flash installed. I've gotten the same results with trunk
> nightly(*) and 1.5.7
>
> Microsoft conspiracy? Firefox Bug?

Changing the user agent to IE6 also doesn't seem to help.
I think this is an issue with the site, although I don't know what the cause is.
You could file a tech evangelism bug on this.

Regards,
Martijn

> (*) Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1)
> Gecko/20060926 Minefield/3.0a1
>
> PS. The videos are well worth watching!
> --
> Regards,
>
> Peter Lairo
>
> The browser you can trust: www.GetFirefox.com
> Reclaim Your Inbox: www.GetThunderbird.com

Robert Strong

Sep 26, 2006, 5:24:17 PM9/26/06
to Martijn, Peter Lairo, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
Not sure what is going on but this is works for me using WMP 11.

Cheers,
Robert

Martijn wrote:
> On 9/26/06, Peter Lairo <Pe...@noxxxspamlairo.com> wrote:

>> I can't view any Keith Olbermann Videos on
>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14912584/ (press the "Launch" button)
>>
>> Yes, I have flash installed. I've gotten the same results with trunk
>> nightly(*) and 1.5.7
>>
>> Microsoft conspiracy? Firefox Bug?
>

> Changing the user agent to IE6 also doesn't seem to help.
> I think this is an issue with the site, although I don't know what the
> cause is.
> You could file a tech evangelism bug on this.
>
> Regards,
> Martijn
>

>> (*) Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1)
>> Gecko/20060926 Minefield/3.0a1
>>
>> PS. The videos are well worth watching!
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peter Lairo
>>
>> The browser you can trust: www.GetFirefox.com
>> Reclaim Your Inbox: www.GetThunderbird.com

Shankar Unni

Sep 26, 2006, 8:14:21 PM9/26/06
Peter Lairo wrote:
> I can't view any Keith Olbermann Videos on
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14912584/ (press the "Launch" button)

WFM.

FF 1.5.0.7 / WinXP SP2 Pro / WMP 10 / Flash 9.0 r16.

Peter Lairo

Sep 27, 2006, 4:28:04 PM9/27/06
Shankar Unni said on 27.9.2006 02:14:

I have FF 1.5.0.7 / WinXP SP2 Pro / WMP 10 too.

How do I tell *which Flash version* have? I couldn't find it under Tools
/ Options. :-\

Shankar Unni

Sep 27, 2006, 5:50:07 PM9/27/06
Peter Lairo wrote:

> How do I tell *which Flash version* have? I couldn't find it under Tools
> / Options. :-\

about:plugins

Peter Lairo

Sep 28, 2006, 3:58:09 AM9/28/06

I have FF 1.5.0.7 / WinXP SP2 Pro / WMP 10 / Shockwave Flash 8.0 r22.

PS. Thanks for the about:plugins tip Shankar. :-)
--
Regards,

Peter Lairo

Lame attempt to get rich: http://www.lairo.com/donations.html

Peter Lairo

Sep 28, 2006, 4:29:32 AM9/28/06
Peter Lairo wrote on 28.09.2006 09:58:
> Shankar Unni wrote on 27.09.2006 02:14:
>> Peter Lairo wrote:
>>> I can't view any Keith Olbermann Videos on
>>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14912584/ (press the "Launch" button)
>
> I have FF 1.5.0.7 / WinXP SP2 Pro / WMP 10 / Shockwave Flash 8.0 r22.

Even after downloading and successfully installing the newest Shockwave
Player (10.1.3.018), about:plugins still says I have Shockwave Flash 8.0
r22. :-\

My Firefox/plugins directory has (amongst some others) these files:
np32dsw.dll (file version: 10.1.3.18 !!!)
nppl3260.dll
npqtplugin.dll
npqtplugin2.dll through npqtplugin5.dll
nprjplug.dll
nprpjplug.dll
nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt
QuickTimePlugin.class

about:config - filter "plugin", all settings are at their defaults
(non-bold), filter "flash" yields nothing relevant.

Where is about:plugins (and Firefox) getting the older version from? :-\

Kevin Brosnan

Sep 28, 2006, 10:26:41 AM9/28/06
to dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org

You can use the about:config preference plugin.expose_full_path set to
true to see where the plugins are stored. I have been told that you
should reset this to false once you are done for security.

Kevin Brosnan

Peter Lairo

Sep 28, 2006, 10:58:07 AM9/28/06
Kevin Brosnan wrote on 28.09.2006 16:26:
> On 9/28/06, Peter Lairo <ImTire...@nospam.net> wrote:
>> Peter Lairo wrote on 28.09.2006 09:58:
>> >
>> Where is about:plugins (and Firefox) getting the older version from? :-\
>
> You can use the about:config preference plugin.expose_full_path set to
> true to see where the plugins are stored.

Thanks for the great tip! :-)

I get: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll

What should I do now? Delete the file? Uninstall Flash (Add/Remove?)?
Edit my registry (Yikes!)?

dolphinling

Sep 28, 2006, 12:43:46 PM9/28/06
Peter Lairo wrote:
> Peter Lairo wrote on 28.09.2006 09:58:
>> Shankar Unni wrote on 27.09.2006 02:14:
>>
>> I have FF 1.5.0.7 / WinXP SP2 Pro / WMP 10 / Shockwave Flash 8.0 r22.
>
> Even after downloading and successfully installing the newest Shockwave
> Player (10.1.3.018), about:plugins still says I have Shockwave Flash 8.0
> r22. :-\

Shockwave != Shockwave Flash, even though they're made by the same company.
(Don't ask me, their fault, not mine.) You want Flash, which is only up to
version 9.

--
dolphinling
<http://dolphinling.net/>

Peter Lairo

Sep 28, 2006, 2:39:06 PM9/28/06
dolphinling said on 28.9.2006 18:43:

>>> I have FF 1.5.0.7 / WinXP SP2 Pro / WMP 10 / Shockwave Flash 8.0 r22.
>>
>> Even after downloading and successfully installing the newest
>> Shockwave Player (10.1.3.018), about:plugins still says I have
>> Shockwave Flash 8.0 r22. :-\
>
> Shockwave != Shockwave Flash, even though they're made by the same
> company. (Don't ask me, their fault, not mine.) You want Flash, which is
> only up to version 9.

I just redownloaded Adobe Flash Player from
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

Can you give another link where I should be downloading from?

about:plugins now says:
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r16
File name: C:\Program Files\Communication\Mozilla Firefox
Nightly\plugins\NPSWF32.dll

But I'm still not seeing the video on
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14912584/ ("Launch" button under video
still). :-\
--
Regards,

Peter Lairo

The browser you can trust: www.GetFirefox.com
Reclaim Your Inbox: www.GetThunderbird.com

dolphinling

Sep 28, 2006, 4:34:57 PM9/28/06
Peter Lairo wrote:
> I just redownloaded Adobe Flash Player from
> http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash
>
> Can you give another link where I should be downloading from?

Looks like you got it right, if the version in about:plugins changed. :)

> about:plugins now says:
> Shockwave Flash 9.0 r16
> File name: C:\Program Files\Communication\Mozilla Firefox
> Nightly\plugins\NPSWF32.dll
>
> But I'm still not seeing the video on
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14912584/ ("Launch" button under video
> still). :-\

Well it's not flash that's your problem, then. Have you tried in a new profile,
in case it's one of your settings or extensions causing the problem? Anything
that messes with javascript in particular would be a candidate for causing problems.

--
dolphinling
<http://dolphinling.net/>

Peter Lairo

Sep 29, 2006, 5:17:37 AM9/29/06
dolphinling wrote on 28.09.2006 22:34:

> Peter Lairo wrote:
> Well it's not flash that's your problem, then. Have you tried in a new
> profile, in case it's one of your settings or extensions causing the
> problem? Anything that messes with javascript in particular would be a
> candidate for causing problems.

I tried with Fx 1.5.0.1, clean profile, and installed the
install_flash_player.exe. Now the video works. :-)

So it's likely something with one of my extensions in Fx trunk and my
"dirty" profile. I'll test that next.

BTW: Oddly, I now have *two* entries for "Shockwave Flash" in my
about:plugins...

File name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll
Shockwave Flash 8.0 r22

and

File name: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox - Release\plugins\NPSWF32.dll
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r16

Weird. :-\ Any way to "fix" that?
--
Regards and Thanks,

Robert Strong

Sep 29, 2006, 5:27:46 AM9/29/06
Peter Lairo wrote:
> BTW: Oddly, I now have *two* entries for "Shockwave Flash" in my
> about:plugins...
>
> File name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll
> Shockwave Flash 8.0 r22
>
> and
>
> File name: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox - Release\plugins\NPSWF32.dll
> Shockwave Flash 9.0 r16
>
> Weird. :-\ Any way to "fix" that?
Remove the one from C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox - Release\plugins\

Newer versions of Shockwave Flash installs using the registry
installation method which allows multiple apps to share the same plugin.

-Robert

Peter Lairo

Sep 29, 2006, 10:17:59 AM9/29/06
Robert Strong wrote on 29.09.2006 11:27:
> Peter Lairo wrote:
>> BTW: Oddly, I now have *two* entries for "Shockwave Flash" in my
>> about:plugins...
>>
>> File name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll
>> Shockwave Flash 8.0 r22
>>
>> and
>>
>> File name: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox - Release\plugins\NPSWF32.dll
>> Shockwave Flash 9.0 r16
>>
>> Weird. :-\ Any way to "fix" that?
> Remove the one from C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox - Release\plugins\

But then I'd be back to the old version, and the non-working video (my
OP). :-\

> Newer versions of Shockwave Flash installs using the registry
> installation method which allows multiple apps to share the same plugin.

I just installed the *newer version*, and it installed itself into
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox - Release\plugins\ and not some
universal registry/directory magic.

How can I get the newer version to install itself "using the registry
installation method"? :-\
--
Regards,

Robert Strong

Sep 29, 2006, 1:59:26 PM9/29/06
to dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
I haven't checked the xpi's they create but it may be a difference
between the xpi and the installer installation methods.

Peter Lairo

Sep 29, 2006, 2:37:51 PM9/29/06
Robert Strong said on 29.9.2006 19:59:

> Peter Lairo wrote:
>> I just installed the *newer version*, and it installed itself into
>> C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox - Release\plugins\ and not some
>> universal registry/directory magic.
>>
>> How can I get the newer version to install itself "using the registry
>> installation method"? :-\
> I haven't checked the xpi's they create but it may be a difference
> between the xpi and the installer installation methods.

I've been installing from the EXE installer on their web page*, not some
XPI.

*http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

Robert Strong

Sep 29, 2006, 3:02:18 PM9/29/06
Peter Lairo wrote:
> Robert Strong said on 29.9.2006 19:59:
>> Peter Lairo wrote:
>>> I just installed the *newer version*, and it installed itself into
>>> C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox - Release\plugins\ and not some
>>> universal registry/directory magic.
>>>
>>> How can I get the newer version to install itself "using the
>>> registry installation method"? :-\
>> I haven't checked the xpi's they create but it may be a difference
>> between the xpi and the installer installation methods.
>
> I've been installing from the EXE installer on their web page*, not
> some XPI.
>
> *http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

Have you tried removing that one file I asked you to remove previously?
It should just work and I know it does for me

Peter Lairo

Sep 29, 2006, 5:55:04 PM9/29/06
Robert Strong said on 29.9.2006 21:02:

After I deleted the file from C:\Program Files\Communication\Mozilla
Firefox Nightly\plugins\ and restarted Fx, it now lists Shockwave Flash
9.0 r16 coming from C:\Program Files\Opera\Program\Plugins\NPSWF32.dll

That's not a universal location. :-\

But I did *this* at home, where there is only *one* Shockwave Flash
entry in about:plugins, whereas at my office there were *two* (versions
8 and 9).

Peter Lairo

Sep 29, 2006, 6:06:43 PM9/29/06
dolphinling said on 28.9.2006 22:34:

At home, Fx trunk, new profile, WMP 10, Shockwave Flash 9.0 r16 from
C:\Program Files\Opera\Program\Plugins\NPSWF32.dll. The video doesn't
work. :-( :-\

dolphinling

Sep 30, 2006, 1:56:56 PM9/30/06
Peter Lairo wrote:
> dolphinling said on 28.9.2006 22:34:
>> Well it's not flash that's your problem, then. Have you tried in a new
>> profile, in case it's one of your settings or extensions causing the
>> problem? Anything that messes with javascript in particular would be a
>> candidate for causing problems.
>
> I tried with Fx 1.5.0.1, clean profile, and installed the install_flash_player.exe. Now the video works. :-)

> At home, Fx trunk, new profile, WMP 10, Shockwave Flash 9.0 r16 from
> C:\Program Files\Opera\Program\Plugins\NPSWF32.dll. The video doesn't
> work. :-( :-\

The first thing I'd test here is that other flash works. The location of the
plugin shouldn't matter as long as Firefox sees it, and if it works one place it
should work everywhere.

After that, does a new profile in 1.5 work at home? If it works in 1.5 and not
in trunk, it's a bug.

If it doesn't work in 1.5 or trunk, it may be something external to firefox. Do
you have any third-party ad blocking software that's not a firefox extension,
and/or a firewall running that might have ad/javascript blocking enabled? Those
would be candidates for causing a problem like this.

--
dolphinling
<http://dolphinling.net/>