Problem handling dmg files on mac

Michael Gorbach

Sep 22, 2006, 2:41:23 PM9/22/06
Hello everyone,
I am using the nightly of bon echo on a Mac Pro, OSX 10.4.7.
I have set up firefox to automatically "open with" dmgs with the
mounter program. When it works, the files get saved to the desktop
(they have a name link nxdj928.dmg until the file download finishes,
then they are renamed to the correct filename. The files then get
mounted as they should. The problem is, this seems to only work some of
the time. Other times, I get the dialog asking me what to the with the
file, with open-with selected and the checkbox active that tells FF to
always do this action. My point is that if I saved the action I should
never see the dialog for a DMG file. Some sites seem to show the
dialog, others dont. Is this a bug or am I not understanding something?

Martijn

Sep 22, 2006, 4:07:01 PM9/22/06
to Michael Gorbach, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org

I guess it depends with which mime-type the dmg file is sent.

Regards,
Martijn

Michael Gorbach

Sep 24, 2006, 1:55:14 PM9/24/06

Is there any way for me to check this?
Also ... If I check "always do this for this type of file" shouldn't it
.. well ... do as it says?
Should I file a bug?

Michael

Martijn

Sep 25, 2006, 6:13:11 AM9/25/06
On 9/24/06, Michael Gorbach <mgor...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is there any way for me to check this?
> Also ... If I check "always do this for this type of file" shouldn't it
> .. well ... do as it says?
> Should I file a bug?

Well, you need to know with which mime-types the files are sent, to be
able to see what is going on.

Regards,
Martijn

> Michael

Michael Gorbach

Sep 25, 2006, 10:14:21 AM9/25/06

What's the best way to find this out?
Is there an extension perhaps?

Michael

Martijn

Sep 25, 2006, 10:24:55 AM9/25/06
to Michael Gorbach, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org

Livehttpheaders maybe?
http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org/installation.html

Or you might be able to see the http header with pasting the url here:
http://www.rexswain.com/httpview.html
This might be tricky, though, because the server might react
differently in this case (but I don't think that happens often).

Chris Ilias

Sep 25, 2006, 3:08:55 PM9/25/06
_Michael Gorbach_ spoke thusly on 25/09/2006 10:14 AM:

http://webtools.mozilla.org/web-sniffer/
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

Michael Gorbach

Sep 26, 2006, 3:03:13 PM9/26/06
On 2006-09-25 15:08:55 -0400, Chris Ilias <n...@ilias.ca> said:

> _Michael Gorbach_ spoke thusly on 25/09/2006 10:14 AM:
>> On 2006-09-25 06:13:11 -0400, Martijn <martijn...@gmail.com> said:
>>
>>> Well, you need to know with which mime-types the files are sent, to be
>>> able to see what is going on.
>>
>> What's the best way to find this out?
>> Is there an extension perhaps?
>
> http://webtools.mozilla.org/web-sniffer/

As an example, downloading the following file pops up a dialog box
asking what to do with the thing (by the way, it also does not
correctly show the default app).
http://shakespeer.bzero.se/snapshots/shakespeer-snapshot-20060814.dmg

Downloading DMG files from macupdate gives no issues.
Is it because the content-type seems to be set to text-plain accord to
the web sniffer?

Martijn

Sep 26, 2006, 4:58:40 PM9/26/06
to Michael Gorbach, dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org

I get application/octet-stream as mime-type for that file.

Regards,
Martijn

Michael Gorbach

Sep 27, 2006, 4:51:07 PM9/27/06

What do you get when downloading a dmg file from macupdate?
Is the mimetype set correctly as dmg image? If so, FF is determining
these settings purely based on mimetype and not based on extension. It
needs to use both the extension and the mime. Even if it is not
possible, the "do this automatically for files like this from now on"
settings is not being applied correctly for dmg files sent by the web
server uunder application/octect-stream.
Seems like a bug to me.