Binding to tab bar with new theme

Mike Goodspeed

Sep 24, 2006, 2:18:40 PM9/24/06
to dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi!

I'm trying to update my extension
(https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1456/) for the upcoming Firefox 2.
My previous extension used bindings that extended
chrome://global/content/bindings/tabbox.xml but I found that I now
need to extend chrome://global/content/bindings/tabbrowser.xml .
That's fine.

Except that during testing, I couldn't figure out why my extension
wasn't showing up in the window's DOM tree. I guessed that it might
have to do with the new theme so I installed the Firefox classic theme
(http://kmgerich.com/2006/08/05/firefox-1x-classic-themes-available/).
That worked! I found out that the new 2.0 theme already has a
-moz-binding for .tabbrowser-tabs
(http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla1.8/source/toolkit/themes/winstripe/global/browser.css#8)
and it is using !important. So I set my own -moz-binding to be
!important, but then I lost the original binding for the tab bar that
the theme used for the new features like the all-tab button and the
overflow scrolling.

My question is, there something I can do to both keep the original
binding of the tab bar and be able to extend it with my extension?

Since you put these features in the theme and not the core browser,
not only do other themes not get these great features, but my
extension that extends the tab bar has to determine if the current
theme is the default 2.0 theme or a custom.

If this isn't the right place to ask questions on extension problems,
just point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
~Mike

mcdav...@netscape.net

Sep 24, 2006, 3:05:38 PM9/24/06

Mike Goodspeed wrote:
(http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla1.8/source/toolkit/themes/winstripe/global/browser.css#8)
> and it is using !important. So I set my own -moz-binding to be
> !important, but then I lost the original binding for the tab bar that
> the theme used for the new features like the all-tab button and the
> overflow scrolling.
>
> My question is, there something I can do to both keep the original
> binding of the tab bar and be able to extend it with my extension?

This appears relevant.

http://www.xulplanet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4389&sid=0308943fc9e20c31802d3ea7019fa7f8

Sailfish

Sep 24, 2006, 3:36:48 PM9/24/06
Without looking at the fx2 binding overlay to analyze its complexity,
have you considered integrating that binding overlay with yours?

--
Mozilla Tips: http://www.ufaq.org/ , http://ilias.ca/
About Mozilla: http://www.mozilla.com/