Firefox Killer features suggestion

John Bird

Oct 23, 2006, 3:51:55 PM10/23/06
to dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
I submitted these ideas some time ago, but I was not a member of this group
then, so I am not sure if they got in. Here they are again, if you have
seen these already apologies for the duplication

My ideas for next "killer features" for Firefox

I have a couple:

Suggestion A:
Eg as I use Tabs all the time, and often open 5-10 tabs at once from
each of 2 or 3 different site so have lots of related tabs open. I am
always opening a link in a tab, looking at it, and wanting then to
jump back to the orginal page again - with lots of tabs open finding
the original page can be tedious. IE7 I notice opens child tabs next
to the parent which is a help in this. The existing tab structure is
like a flat file system, a heirarchical one would be better..

It would be fantastic to be able to keep track of the parent and child
links so I could see easily which tabs are related to each other.

There are a couple of ways this could be done:
1 - Colour the tabs with a paler colour or smaller height on the child
tabs

- eg Green for family 1, Yellow for another etc

2 - Have like a tree view display.

3 - Have groups of tabs able to be hidden and reshown
This opens possibility of closing a goup of tabs in one operation
(with a warning) by closing the parent, with a choice to close all parent
and child
tabs or just close the parent and leave the child tabs open, which means
they become separate non-child tabs at that point.

Suggestion B:

Something more than bookmarks - As I browse I would love to be able to
make my own notes about pages, so I can keep track of pages I have
visited and want to keep a note of what was interesting about them,
but I don't want to keep adding zillions of pages to the bookmarks.
Some kind of notepad/html file where I could type notes about a page,
and when I hit such a page an indication "you have notes about this
site" could appear somewhere, and similarly in bookmarks a site with
more information could have a marker eg "+more info". This could be
like a local page I can add text to as I browse, and links could be
added.

ie
Ability to store a URL, and my own notes about it, and find it later
on, and export/save this info.

At present I maintain a folder of text files on my disk myself with a
text editor, with notes of the site URL and what was useful about that
site. Then I have to copy and paste the URL into the browser to go to
the site....its a bit tedious..

For example of typical use, when I researched the best text/programmers
editor to use, I did a Google search and looked up sites like tucows, then I
opened a lot of tabs for all of various text editors around (zeuss,
editplus, ultraedit etc), and started making notes on the features of each,
price, urls etc. These notes had to be in a totally separate place, a text
file edited using Notepad. This means when I want to look up one of the
sites later on I have to copy and paste the url rather than just being able
to click on a link to get back to the web site. I do this often enough I
would like to do it in the browser.

Suggestion C:

I like the drop down list of open tabs at the far right. Very useful when
more tabs than fit on the screen. Maybe some simple right click menu options
such as "close this tab" might be useful.

John Bird

vix

Oct 23, 2006, 6:06:50 PM10/23/06
Your suggestion about the notes and being able to attach them onto
bookmarks, well thats planned for firefox 3.... check this link for
firefox 3 brainstorming:

http://wiki.mozilla.org./Firefox/Feature_Brainstorming

Kevin Brosnan

Oct 23, 2006, 6:30:41 PM10/23/06
to dev-apps...@lists.mozilla.org
That page is not the feature list for Firefox 3. It is a list of ideas
from Firefox users/developers. That may be implemented in future
version of Firefox or as extensions.

Kevin Brosnan