Bug in FireFox when import passwords from SeaMonkey

MAD-Max

Oct 24, 2006, 9:12:00 PM10/24/06

[Google Translated English version, Spanish version under this version]

Greetings.
First, I'm not sure if this post should be in mozilla.dev.apps.firefox
or in mozilla.support.firefox, so I'll post in both of them.

I have just updated FireFox to version 2.0 (Spanish).
Everything seemed to have gone well, so I updated the extensions.
Everything continued working well, although there were no updates for
some extensions, so they remained disabled.
Everything followed well after extension's updates.
Then, I tried to import bookmarks and passwords from SeaMonkey. It
seemed that this also had worked, but then I open FireFox passwords
manager, and I saw that some of these passwords were mixed or duplicated.
I erased the duplicated ones, Then I closed FireFox and I restart it
again. Then all the extensions acted as if they has been installed just
now, asking everyone to configure it, it seems I lost all my preferences
and had to configure all again, but not only preferences of extensions,
but also those of the navigator. I closed the navigator again and I
returned it to open, seemed to work more or less normal, but when I
opened the passwords mannager again, and later I closed the navigator
and open it again. Ohh! the extension startup process of new
installations appeared to me asking to configure every extension again!!
Worse and the most peculiar thing is than then I opened SeaMonkey (that
been had closed all along) and it also requested to me to configure all
my SeaMonkey extensions! In addition the mail config and some more
things were had lost.

Luckily I had a backup of SeaMonkey from a month ago, so I watched that
it is what had to change. Apparently the only file had been modified was
prefs.js, so I overwrote SeaMonkey prefs.js with the one from backup, I
did necessary modifications to it, and worked everything good again in
SeaMonkey.
As FireFox continued giving problems, I decided to erase the user
profile and to uninstall the program, to erase the references to the
profiles (in %APPDATA%/Mozilla/Firefox) and others files: that is, to
make a complete reinstall.

I installed FireFox again, creates a profile, I opened FireFox, I test
it again and I formed, I installed the extensions and I configure them.
Everything worked perfect. This time, instead of importing the passwords
and the bookmarks simultaneously, I decided to do it by steps. First I
imported the bookmarks from SeaMonkey, I try to use a little the 2
applications, I closed and I returned to open both applications, and
worked all good. I continued testing a while with no problems.
Later I imported again the passwords, but this time appeared to me the
passwords manager empty. I closed FireFox and I returned to open it
again, and all the extensions acted again as if it has been first
installed just now, and also I returned to lose the preferences of the
navigator. Scared, I opened SeaMonkey and also were lost the preferences.
So I deduce that FireFox has some problem importing passwords, at least
those from SeaMonkey.
I read somewhere (and I do not know if it were related of a extension
that it had installed the first time,but not it second, or was of the
own FireFox) that said that it had problems with the duplicated
passwords, i.e. with same server/host/url and same user.
I believe that it is an annoying enough problem. In the end my solution
has been to repeat everything again, but not to import the passwords
again, and to store them one by one (validating users in each
server/host/url/service).

Appart of this problems,doing this I realiced it would be a good idea to
add some option so FireFox ignores the web pages include in the
validation forms the attribute ?autocomplete=off?, since it can be
annoying because FireFox not store passwords in those cases. In order to
avoid this I used DOM Inspector to search "autocomplete" attribute in
validation form of webpages and change it to "on", so FireFox stores it
perfectly.

Thank you very much for your time.

Great work and great navigator.

Thanks again from all of FireFox users!

(Note: It seems Google Translation tool works better than before. I only
have to modify a few things.
I include the original spanish text if someone prefers to read it
instead of translated version)

PD: I'm using FireFox 2.0 and SeaMonkey 1.07 in Windows 2000 SP4
User Profiles are stored in a drive different form where applications
are installed.

- -------
[Original Spanish version]
[Versión original en español]
- ----------------
Saludos.
Lo primero, no sé si esto debería ir a mozilla.dev.apps.firefox o a
mozilla.support.firefox, así que lo envío a los dos grupos.

He actualizado FireFox a la versión 2.0 (en español).
Todo parecía haber ido bien, así que actualicé las extensiones.
Todo seguía funcionando bien, aunque no había actualizaciones para
algunas extensiones, así que se quedaron deshabilitadas.
Todo seguía bien.
Entontes intenté importar los marcadores y las contraseñas de SeaMonkey.
Parecía que esto también había funcionado bien, pero entonces miré en el
administrador de contraseñas, y vi que algunas de estas estaban
mezcladas o duplicadas.
Borré las duplicadas, cerré FireFox y volví a arrancarlo.
Entonces todas las extensiones actuaron como si se acabasen de instalar,
por lo que perdí todas mis preferencias y tuve que configurarlas de
nuevo, pero no solo las de las extensiones, sino también las del navegador.
Cerré de nuevo el navegador y lo volví a abrir, parecía funcionar más o
menos normal, pero cuando abrí de nuevo el administrador de contraseñas,
después cerré el navegador y, ¡otra vez me aparecía el proceso de
configuración de todas las extensiones!

Lo peor y más curioso es que después abrí SeaMonkey (que había estado
cerrado todo el tiempo) ¡y también me pedía reinstalar sus extensiones!
Además se habían perdido las configuraciones de correo y algunas cosas más.

Por suerte tenía una copia de seguridad de SeaMonkey de hace más o menos
un mes, así que miré que es lo que tenía que cambiar. Aparentemente solo
se había modificado el fichero prefs.js, así que lo sobreescribí, le
hice unas ligeras modificaciones necesarias, y funcionaba todo de nuevo.

Como FireFox seguía dándome problemas, decidí borrar el perfíl de
usuario y desinstalar el programa, borrar las referencias a los perfiles
(en %APPDATA%/Mozilla/Firefox) y demás, o sea, hacer una reinstalación
completa.
Instalé FireFox de nuevo, me cree un perfíl, abrí FireFox, lo probé y
configuré, instalé las extensiones y las configuré. Todo funcionaba
perfecto.
Esta vez, en vez de importar las contraseñas y los marcadores a la vez,
decidí hacerlo por pasos.
Primero importé los marcadores de SeaMonkey, probé a usar un poco las 2
aplicaciones, cerré y volví a abrir ambas aplicaciones, y funcionaba
todo bien.
Después importé las contraseñas, pero esta vez me aparecía el
administrador de contraseñas vacío. Cerré FireFox y lo volví a abrir, ¡y
otra vez todas las extensiones actuaban como si las acabase de instalar,
y también volví a perder las preferencias del navegador. Asustado, abrí
SeaMonkey ¡y también había perdido las preferencias!.

Así que deduzco que FireFox tiene algún problema importando contraseñas,
al menos las de SeaMonkey.
Leí por ahí, y no sé si era de una extesión que tenía instalada la
primera vez (pero no la segunda), o era del propio FireFox, que decía
que tenía problemas con las contraseñas duplicadas, es decir con el
mismo servidor y el mismo usuario.

Creo que es un problema bastante molesto.

Al final mi solución ha sido repetir todo de nuevo, pero no importar las
contraseñas, e introducirlas una a una a mano (valídándome en cada
servidor).
Por cierto, sería una buena idea añadir alguna opción para que ignore
las páginas web que incluyen en los formularios de validación el
atributo "autocomplete=off", ya que puede ser molesto, y en ordenadores
personales no hay problemas de privacidad. Para evitar esto último y que
me almacenase las contraseñas, con DOM Inspector buscaba el atributo y
lo cambiaba al valor "on".

Muchas gracias.
Gran trabajo y gran navegador
¡Gracias de nuevo de parte de todos!

PD: Estoy usando FireFox 2.0 y SeaMonkey 1.07 en Windows 2000 SP4
Los perfiles de usuario están almacenados en una unidad distinta a donde
están instalados los programas

- --
*Espero que tengas un buen dia!*
*Have a nice day!*