Sun Microsystems contributes to Lightning to combine it with OpenOffice.org

Simon Paquet

Oct 5, 2006, 7:34:44 PM10/5/06
Hi folks,
I have some really good news to share with you.

It's been officially confirmed by Michael Bemmer, Engineering Director
at
Sun Microsystems, on the OpenOffice.org Conference (OOoCon 2006) that
Sun
is contributing significantly to the Lightning Project to provide users
with an alternative open source choice by combining OpenOffice.org
respectively StarOffice and Thunderbird/Lightning.

You can find the details on slides 16-19 of Michael's presentation[1] or
watch his presentation on video[2] (you need the ogg theora codec[3] to
watch the video).

Of course the development team is pretty excited about this, even though
we were aware of this for some time already, as Sun has already
contributed a lot of development effort to Lightning and Sunbird.

Please join me in welcoming the Sun developers into our community.

[1]
http://marketing.openoffice.org/ooocon2006/presentations/tuesday_c5.pdf
[2]
http://ooocon-arnes.kiberpipa.org/media/OOo_2x_and_beyond_Michael_Bemmer/video.ogg
[3] http://www.theora.org/

--
Simon Paquet
Sunbird/Lightning/Calendar website maintainer

Ricardo Palomares Martinez

Oct 6, 2006, 4:00:40 PM10/6/06
Simon Paquet escribió:

> Hi folks,
> I have some really good news to share with you.
>
> It's been officially confirmed by Michael Bemmer, Engineering Director at
> Sun Microsystems, on the OpenOffice.org Conference (OOoCon 2006) that Sun
> is contributing significantly to the Lightning Project to provide users
> with an alternative open source choice by combining OpenOffice.org
> respectively StarOffice and Thunderbird/Lightning.
> (...)

> Please join me in welcoming the Sun developers into our community.

I've read the whole PDF and it looks really promising. It's not just
that Calendar project is going to advance faster, making the
Thunderbird+Lightning (and I hope that, in the future, SeaMonkey too)
:-) more easily seen as a replacement for Outlook. The big shot, IMHO,
is that OpenOffice.org next versions promoting TB+Lightning as the PIM
of choice will mean a significant push for all products.

Although I presume this will only have impact in the /far/ future (not
before than Thunderbird 3.0, and maybe even later), one thing that you
will want to do when the time comes is to get as many different
translations as possible for Lightning. Ideally, the target for
Mozilla Foundation should be that no OO.org localization should have
to ship without TB+Lightning shipped.

So, welcome Sun! And a big thank you for both Sun and Calendar folks.

Ricardo.

--
If it's true that we are here to help others,
then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?

Nomax

Dec 14, 2006, 7:35:47 PM12/14/06
Simon Paquet a écrit :

> Hi folks,
> I have some really good news to share with you.
>
> It's been officially confirmed by Michael Bemmer, Engineering Director at
> Sun Microsystems, on the OpenOffice.org Conference (OOoCon 2006) that Sun
> is contributing significantly to the Lightning Project to provide users
> with an alternative open source choice by combining OpenOffice.org
> respectively StarOffice and Thunderbird/Lightning.

Good news!

A cool move would be to develop Lightning as a separate entity that
could smoothly be integrated simultaneously in multiple applications.
A bit like the JRE in the form (the comparison ends there). You install
Lightning once for all on your computer and Thunderbird, SeaMonkey and
OpenOffice.org (and others...) use it as a common plugin.

So when you need to update the calendar engine, you only do it once and
all apps benefit from the update. You then find exactly the same
calendar in all your apps and access your planning the same way whatever
you do. It would be wonderful!

I don't know if it's the way you develop it but I think it would be the
most effective solution. IMHO of course.

Regards,
Nomax.

--
Arcade Belgium - http://www.arcadebelgium.be/