Calendar Views

Christian Jansen

Oct 17, 2006, 12:05:44 PM10/17/06
as we are heading into the 0.5 direction I'd like to open
pandora's box ;-) by asking when and how we plan to improve the look and
feel of the main calendar views.

I know this is a huge task, but I think the positive feedback we
received on the Calendar Weblog Blog [1] should motivate us start with
that task.

Based on user comments (BugZilla, Mailing List, feedback from colleagues
who use Lightning in their daily work) it might make sense to start with
improving the left pane. For example: User's are asking how to switch
between mail and calendar. Another are of interest is how to display
multiple calendars in an informative and usable way in the views.

In Toronto we discussed [2]. Is that the direction we want to go?
Maybe, this is something for tomorrows call?

Thoughts?

Christian

[1]
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/calendar/2006/10/sun_microsystems_announces_int.html#comments

[2] http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Calendar_View

Simon Paquet

Oct 17, 2006, 1:17:11 PM10/17/06
Christian Jansen wrote on 17. Oct 2006:

> Hi,
> as we are heading into the 0.5 direction I'd like to open pandora's
> box ;-) by asking when and how we plan to improve the look and
> feel of the main calendar views.

This was already discussed in the developer confcall last week and it
was decided to try to get most of this in for 0.5

See my notes on
http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Status_Meetings:2006-10-11

> Maybe, this is something for tomorrows call?

Sure.

--
Simon Paquet
Sunbird/Lightning website maintainer

Michiel van Leeuwen

Oct 17, 2006, 2:16:33 PM10/17/06
Christian Jansen wrote:
> I know this is a huge task, but I think the positive feedback we
> received on the Calendar Weblog Blog [1] should motivate us start with
> that task.

Yes, i think 0.5 is a good release for UI work. UI needs more user
feedback then backend work, so it is good to have some more releases
with new UI before 1.0

> Based on user comments (BugZilla, Mailing List, feedback from colleagues
> who use Lightning in their daily work) it might make sense to start with
> improving the left pane. For example: User's are asking how to switch
> between mail and calendar. Another are of interest is how to display
> multiple calendars in an informative and usable way in the views.

Yes, that needs some work.

> In Toronto we discussed [2]. Is that the direction we want to go?
> Maybe, this is something for tomorrows call?

I personally think that screenshot looks pretty good.
For 0.3, I was more focussed on keeping the backend working, and in
making sure we don't add new bad UI. But the existing UI indeed can use
a lot of improvements. We should focus on that for 0.5, I think.

Stefan Sitter

Oct 17, 2006, 4:10:58 PM10/17/06
I hope you don't want to fork Lightning and Sunbird code/development
because I don't see any consideration for Sunbird in any of the
proposals, neither the view nor the item dialog one.

/Stefan

Joey Minta

Oct 17, 2006, 5:14:41 PM10/17/06
I'd be interested in a more item-specific description of the changes
here. How many of the 'look and feel' changes are just changes to the
theme/skin? What are the other specific changes needed? It's tough to
form an opinion on such a large proposal, and I'd prefer not to see a
bug that just says 'implement new view proposal.'

-Joey

Sebastian Schwieger

Oct 17, 2006, 6:58:13 PM10/17/06
While the proposed view sure looks very fancy, I don't see how that
integrates with Thunderbird. It rather looks like a separate window. I
personally liked the idea proposed elsewhere in this newsgroup to use
the message pane for listing events/tasks and the preview pane for the
main view.

/Sebo

Christian Jansen

Oct 19, 2006, 2:27:54 AM10/19/06
to Stefan Sitter
Stefan Sitter schrieb:

There are no plans to fork and yes, Sunbird needs be to considered.

- Christian

Christian Jansen

Oct 19, 2006, 2:32:48 AM10/19/06
to Joey Minta
Joey Minta schrieb:

We discussed that in yesterdays call.
The plan in to come up with a list of pain points.
Followed by a list of proposals how to fix these issues.

I think we should start with the low hanging fruits, and should focus
only on the items which could realistically being changed in the time
frame of 2 1/2 months.

- Christian

Christian Jansen

Oct 19, 2006, 2:49:37 AM10/19/06
to Sebastian Schwieger
Sebastian Schwieger schrieb:

> While the proposed view sure looks very fancy, I don't see how that
> integrates with Thunderbird. It rather looks like a separate window. I
Agreed. The current mock-ups looks more looks standalone app. But the
whole stuff is more meant an idea collection to start a discussion.

> personally liked the idea proposed elsewhere in this newsgroup to use
> the message pane for listing events/tasks and the preview pane for the
> main view.

don't you think that the tree is getting too complex?

You would have at least
- one e-mail account
- Maybe news
- Local Folders
- Maybe a RSS feed

plus a couple of calendar subscriptions.

What I want to say is that the list could get very long. Especially when
unfolded. The outcome would be that switching from mail to cal or vice
versa could some times only be done by scrolling. This would be very
inconvenient.

-Christian

> /Sebo

Sebastian Schwieger

Oct 19, 2006, 5:37:51 AM10/19/06
to christia...@sun.com
Christian Jansen wrote:

> don't you think that the tree is getting too complex?
>
> You would have at least
> - one e-mail account
> - Maybe news
> - Local Folders
> - Maybe a RSS feed
>
> plus a couple of calendar subscriptions.

I was thinking of something like:

+Inbox1 |
+Inbox2 |
+News and Blogs |
+Local Folders |
+Newsgroup |
-Calendar |
|-Agenda |
|-Todo |
|-Calendars |

-----------------|
Place for |
Minimonth |
and goto |
date |
-----------------|

and the entries for Agenda/Todo/Calendars would be in the message pane.

This would in fact reduce the space needed in the folder pane. And this
is (the reduced space in folder pane) what people repeatedly complain about.

> What I want to say is that the list could get very long. Especially when
> unfolded. The outcome would be that switching from mail to cal or vice
> versa could some times only be done by scrolling. This would be very
> inconvenient.

At the moment accessing mail folders (if you have more than ca. three)
can only be done by hiding lightning, accessing lightning by unhiding it
again. This is equally inconvenient.

/Sebo