F1 Moving Forward

Andy Chung

Feb 17, 2011, 4:15:18 PM2/17/11
to mozilla-labs
We just released an update to F1:

http://mozillalabs.com/messaging/2011/02/17/moving-forward-with-f1

Please leave feedback on that post in this thread!
Thanks,
-Andy

Flyboy

Feb 17, 2011, 5:04:07 PM2/17/11
to mozilla-labs
I'd like to see a Reddit submission feature. It's the only one I'd
use.

eyaler

Feb 17, 2011, 6:19:54 PM2/17/11
to mozilla-labs
1. when moving the f1 button, settings are reset
2. facebook posting should include: post to a friends' wall and send
message. for me these are much more common then posting to my own wall

eyaler

Feb 17, 2011, 6:24:56 PM2/17/11
to mozilla-labs
3. subject should default to page title
4. Include currently selected text in message body

GamerOfFreedom

Feb 17, 2011, 6:38:38 PM2/17/11
to mozilla-labs
The add-on is not shortening links to bit.ly anymore.

It would also be great if you could allow us to login to our bit.ly
account and add j.mp as well (same API as bit.ly)

Otherwise I love the add-on

Aaron Draczynski

Feb 17, 2011, 7:14:25 PM2/17/11
to mozilla-labs
The new version looks great, the doorhanger layout is much nicer. I'm
with GamerOfFreedom, it'd be great if I could enter my bit.ly
credentials so my short URLs were posted under my own account.

Keep up the awesome work!

Juan Ángel

Feb 17, 2011, 7:15:26 PM2/17/11
to mozilla-labs
- Automatic activation of text field, for sharing faster.
- J.mp links -let us choose which URL shortener we prefer.
- Old style, old logo: I loved 'em!

Andy Chung

Feb 17, 2011, 7:18:39 PM2/17/11
to mozilla-labs
Some pages provide their own shortened URL, which are sometimes not
actually all that short. We can investigate the issue if you show us
the page you were trying to share?

David Ascher

Feb 17, 2011, 7:23:22 PM2/17/11
to mozilla-labs
On Feb 17, 2:04 pm, Flyboy <ncwjohnst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to see a Reddit submission feature. It's the only one I'd
> use.

Good to know. From what I can tell Reddit doesn't have an API for
submission, but I could be missing something. We are working to make
it easier to have a "long tail" of sharing services and where users
could pick where they want to share.

--da

David Ascher

Feb 17, 2011, 7:23:55 PM2/17/11
to mozilla-labs
On Feb 17, 3:19 pm, eyaler <eya...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> 1. when moving the f1 button, settings are reset

Yeah, right now we're forgetting settings too often. We have work in
progress which should fix that.

> 2. facebook posting should include: post to a friends' wall and send
> message. for me these are much more common then posting to my own wall

Agreed -- as far as I know Facebook doesn't provide APIs for those
yet. =(

--da

David Ascher

Feb 17, 2011, 7:24:06 PM2/17/11
to mozilla-labs

On Feb 17, 3:24 pm, eyaler <eya...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> 3. subject should default to page title
> 4. Include currently selected text in message body

Love those two suggestions. Thanks!

-da

David Ascher

Feb 17, 2011, 7:26:35 PM2/17/11
to mozilla-labs
On Feb 17, 4:15 pm, Juan Ángel <juanangel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> - Automatic activation of text field, for sharing faster.

You mean focus, right? I agree, we should do that.

> - J.mp links -let us choose which URL shortener we prefer.

That's a fine idea too -- something I don't think we've thought about
hard enough yet, but worth thinking about.

> - Old style, old logo: I loved 'em!

The current logo is to make it easier for people who install f1 to
find the button - in our user testing we found that people didn't see
the old icon. It's not cast in stone though!

--da

GamerOfFreedom

Feb 17, 2011, 7:27:09 PM2/17/11
to mozilla-labs
It was actually the "Moving forward with F1" post :)
http://mozillalabs.com/messaging/2011/02/17/moving-forward-with-f1/

Blair McBride

Feb 17, 2011, 7:36:21 PM2/17/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
While we're requesting specific services... could we have Google Reader
integration? It has a public API (in fact, the entire Google Reader
interface is just a frontend for their API).

- Blair

sergio...@mozilla-hispano.org

Feb 17, 2011, 8:10:07 PM2/17/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
This addon is awesome, i really like the new interface. Like the others say, i really like an integration with bit.ly

Good job people!
Enviado desde mi BlackBerry de Personal

loque

Feb 17, 2011, 10:00:56 PM2/17/11
to mozilla-labs
Hi, awesome addon!
Is there a way to add multiple accounts of the same service?

Shane Caraveo

Feb 17, 2011, 10:26:02 PM2/17/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, loque
On 11-02-17 7:00 PM, loque wrote:
> Hi, awesome addon!
> Is there a way to add multiple accounts of the same service?

We haven't implemented that yet in the interface, but the backend is
ready to support that.

Shane

Scott

Feb 18, 2011, 12:14:04 AM2/18/11
to mozilla-labs
Love it!

I saw another user suggest Google Reader support ... absolutely agree,
or bookmark for offline reading.

Evernote clipping support would be fantastic, especially since the
current Evernote add-on does not support 4.0.

Also, would love to see the F1 extension support multiple Twitter
accounts for those of us who oversee social presence for more than one
brand.

Share to a Facebook Page as well as personal profile would be great.

Thanks!

TylerM

Feb 18, 2011, 3:12:23 AM2/18/11
to mozilla-labs
Would it be possible, for the Facebook integration, to create the
ability to change the Title and Description of the page being shared?
(similar to what you can do if you go directly to Facebook and share a
link)

Selim Şumlu

Feb 18, 2011, 3:15:39 AM2/18/11
to mozilla-labs
You're doing great!

I would also like to be able to share on a Facebook Page.

Selim

Pedro Coelho

Feb 18, 2011, 4:22:26 AM2/18/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Great new UI! I only got one problem now, the gmail contacts autocomplete is not working. (I'm using noscript but I unlocked Mozilla messaging)

Dennis | @eu_dennis

Feb 18, 2011, 6:45:12 AM2/18/11
to mozilla-labs
I think is really much better, but still missing the multi-update.
Somethings we want share in Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn at same
time. Maybe something to use our API key in Bit.ly will be great too.

Good Luck

andreamonni

Feb 18, 2011, 6:53:04 AM2/18/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, February 18, 2011 7:24:56 AM UTC+8, eyaler wrote:
3. subject should default to page title

I came to this group to suggest this but you were faster! I do second this one!!! :)

Andrea

Cesar Carruitero

Feb 18, 2011, 10:17:13 AM2/18/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Looks great. But if could see updates of my contacts will be awesome.

2011/2/18 andreamonni <andre...@gmail.com>

Shane Caraveo

Feb 18, 2011, 11:45:00 AM2/18/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, Cesar Carruitero
The current development sources will refersh contacts if you remove/add
an account, I'll add a bug to look at refreshing it without that step.
Right now you can clear the localstorage by clearing cache/cookies and
then loging into your share accounts again.
Shane

On 11-02-18 7:17 AM, Cesar Carruitero wrote:
> Looks great. But if could see updates of my contacts will be awesome.
>

> 2011/2/18 andreamonni <andre...@gmail.com <mailto:andre...@gmail.com>>

> On Friday, February 18, 2011 7:24:56 AM UTC+8, eyaler wrote:
>
> 3. subject should default to page title
>

> I came to this group to suggest this but you were faster! I do
> second this one!!! :)
>
> Andrea
>
> --

> <mailto:mozilla-labs%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.

Dynames

Feb 18, 2011, 12:57:16 PM2/18/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
I like the new UI, but I really like the old one, 'cause didn't look like an addon, it looked consistent or integrated with  Firefox. I suggest an option to change the UI to the old one.
F1 rocks, but I don't see it like an addon, I see it as a feature of Firefox 4 , and the UI can help to do this.

Then:
1 More consistent UI or be able to change to the old UI.
2 Tumblr posting.

Thanks for share.

Shane Caraveo

Feb 18, 2011, 1:05:35 PM2/18/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com

I don't see us returning to the the old ui because of the code overhead required for it.  The new system allowed us to significantly simplify the code.  I wouldn't be surprised however to see more iterations on the ui.
Shane

Dynames

Feb 18, 2011, 1:39:14 PM2/18/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
ok, then I suggest allow the F1 shortcut without having the F1 button visible on the bar.

David Ascher

Feb 18, 2011, 1:52:19 PM2/18/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, Dynames
On 2/18/11 10:39 AM, Dynames wrote:
> ok, then I suggest allow the F1 shortcut without having the F1 button
> visible on the bar.

Argh. Yes, it should.

Filedhttps://github.com/mozilla/f1/issues/54

Thanks.

--da

gman1023

Feb 19, 2011, 8:10:25 PM2/19/11
to mozilla-labs
I'm really liking this extension. One comment

For the Facebook portion (as that's what I'm using), it feels a bit
cluttered. I, and probably most people, just want to update their
status on their wall. The current design has a dropdown list option to
instead post to a group wall. Because of this option, there's an
unnecessary text "send to group wall instead" and even the "send to"
right above it. Really? Is all that stuff really necessary. I'm an
advocate of the KISS philosophy. All of that can be removed, leaving
just the textarea for the user to post their message. This will result
in a much cleaner design. Thoughts?

My second suggestion would be to allow multiple FB or Twitter
accounts.

duke9509

Feb 20, 2011, 4:53:12 PM2/20/11
to mozilla-labs
I'm so glad you guys started a thread on this! I've been looking for a
way to send you a message.

I love the concept of building sharing features into Firefox, and was
excited when the first version of F1 came through Lab Kit.
However, the computer I usually use seems to have mysterious problems
with it that won't go away even after completely re-installing Windows
(I didn't re-install for the purpose of making F1 work, my computer
just ended up randomly crashing, and I simply noted that the add-on
still didn't work).

Whenever I would click the F1 button, I'd get that big, fat tool bar
at the top of the window, but it would be devoid of all buttons, or
anything else for that matter. The same is now true of the new
version, it renders an empty door-hanger panel.

I am also running Ubuntu under Wubi on the same computer. While F1
does work on this installation, and I was able to set up both my
Twitter and Facebook accounts, the panel that it generates has text
and buttons, but no background, it instead is 100% transparent to the
page below, making it very hard to read (although there is a grey
background behind the image and title of the current page, just
nowhere else).

I've only once, in the comments section for the F1 add-on, found any
mention of anyone else having this (empty toolbar, not the transparent
panel) problem. It would be much appreciated if you could shed some
light on what is going on here.

On both Windows (7 x64) and Wubi Ubuntu (10.10 Maverick x86), I am
running the latest Firefox 4 nightly builds (which I have been proudly
using as my primary browser since the very first "3.7 Gecko Developer
Preview," and I just have to say: You guys are doing great!).

Also, while we're on the subject of strange Labs add-on behavior, does
anyone know if there is a forum for Mozilla Labs Contacts? Because on
Windows (Lab Kit didn't install Contacts on Ubuntu, so I'm assuming
there isn't a Linux version yet), the add-on doesn't seem to do
anything at all, there are no new menu items, buttons, or anything,
just the same (I'm not going to say old :)) Firefox 4.

Either way, thank you for any help you may have to offer.

david

Feb 21, 2011, 4:20:32 AM2/21/11
to mozilla-labs
Great extension!

Few comments on the Facebook sharing:

(1) I'm having some troubles with the sharing to Facebook Group that I
find very useful. It seems that I cannot share to my "new" Facebook
groups but only to the "old" Facebook groups.. Is this normal or am I
doing something wrong? Doing so, I get the error "We're really sorry,
F1 done goofed up. (#210) User not visible"

(2) I would love the "type in the name of the group:" textbox to have
auto-suggest support and support for adding multiple users/groups
within the same box (basically the way Facebook is doing this). You
could choose "users/groups" within the same list of suggestion; that
would be really cool.

Thanks again the great extension!

Octetus

Feb 21, 2011, 10:24:12 AM2/21/11
to mozilla-labs
Having F1 to use Gmail to send an email is missing the most obvious
way of sending an email with the most excellent Mozilla product:
Thunderbird.

Please make it possible to send a webpage using Mozilla Thunderbird in
the same manner of Share-a-holic. This would be the most useful
feature of all.

Also, because of privacy add-ons I suppose, I get this error on the F1
window: Please enable DOM Storage to use Mozilla F1.

Best regards, and thank you all to the Mozilla Messaging crew.

O.

@SJBeresford

Feb 21, 2011, 11:59:57 AM2/21/11
to mozilla-labs
Great update, really dig the more elegant, vertical layout. New to the
whole discussion forum thing, so forgive me if this has already been
brought up.

I'd like to see the shortened URL in the message field before sending.
I may want to have the shortened URL in parentheses, in the middle, at
the beginning, etc of my tweet, so providing it upfront will allow for
placement.

Daniel Goodwin

Feb 22, 2011, 10:21:01 AM2/22/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Lots of people are requesting new services to add to F1, this is great, because I think F1 could be a valuable tool for app developers.

First, my mindset is on developing server-less web apps for an open web app store, or maybe as a browser add-on, or just as an html page I have in my localhost. (Serverless apps can be built faster and cheaper == more apps).

Here's how I want to use F1 to help me develop:

  • A Firefox user installs my open web app or add-on
  • A permissions-like alert will appear letting them know my app uses Twitter, Facebook, etc (defined in a manifest file or some such)
  • The user has the option to allow or deny my app access to that information (which is stored in FF)
    • similar to how permission to Location is granted (navigator.geolocation.getCurrentPosition)
  • This could be done on a per app basis.

Now that a user has given my app access to the Twitter API by way of Firefox, I could write Javascript similar to:

As a developer, I don't need to worry about building a backend just to post to Twitter. I can now use that service effortlessly.

I want my app to do more than post to Twitter. I want to have a canvas image save to an image hosting service. So the F1 add-on/Firefox, could have a library of APIs it can connect to (Twitter, Imgur, etc), maybe even site developers (or any one) can submit a "bridge" so Firefox can automate creating new API accounts for various services.

This could also move API keys for these services from the app to the user… thus, if my app is popular, I don't worry about an API rate limit, each user has a key.

David Ascher

Feb 22, 2011, 11:37:48 AM2/22/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Goodwin
On 2/22/11 7:21 AM, Daniel Goodwin wrote:
> Lots of people are requesting new services to add to F1, this is
> great, because I think F1 could be a valuable tool for app developers.

Super, that's exactly our hope.

Can you look at

https://github.com/mozilla/f1/wiki/navigator-share-api

AFAIK, that should still work w/ the new UI (although I don't know that
we've tested in recently =().

--da

Aaron Draczynski

Feb 24, 2011, 6:53:03 PM2/24/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Today's update rocks! Thank you for adding custom bit.ly account support, this was my most wanted addition.

Sergio Andrés Roldan

Feb 25, 2011, 6:01:40 AM2/25/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
I agree with aaron, this update rocks, guys!

But i have another "feature" to tell. When you share a link in facebook with F1, the addon doesn´t let you choose the image of the link shared.

2011/2/24 Aaron Draczynski <aarondr...@gmail.com>
Today's update rocks! Thank you for adding custom bit.ly account support, this was my most wanted addition.

Igor Denisov

Feb 27, 2011, 6:36:31 AM2/27/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
Ufffff, and what about Delicious?

GamerOfFreedom

Mar 7, 2011, 6:57:33 PM3/7/11
to mozilla-labs
Yeah thanks for listening Mozilla, awesome update!

On Feb 25, 12:01 pm, Sergio Andrés Roldan <sergio.ron...@mozilla-
hispano.org> wrote:
> I agree with aaron, this update rocks, guys!
>
> But i have another "feature" to tell. When you share a link in facebook with
> F1, the addon doesn´t let you choose the image of the link shared.

Joe daLuz

May 14, 2011, 10:44:08 AM5/14/11
to mozill...@googlegroups.com
I was going to suggest these two, glad to see someone was already there months ago!