issues with the direction of mongomapper

Jacques Crocker

Mar 30, 2010, 5:04:52 AM3/30/10
to MongoMapper
Apologies in advance for this post, but I've spent a lot of time with
MongoMapper over the last month so I want to maybe save someone out
there the wasted effort of putting work into mongomapper and then
discovering they have run into a brick wall by its maintainer.

Using any open source project is an investment in your time. It will
benefit you to choose the technologies that has a maintainer who
supports advancing the framework with community help, and works with
his users instead of against them. If you have particular needs that
you want handled by MongoMapper that John does not share, John has
made it clear the best way to deal with that is to fork and maintain a
separate copy of his framework. He won't accept a patch for something
that he doesn't use, doesn't want to maintain your code, and doesn't
trust you or the community to help him maintain the changes.

I know that John is much smarter than me, put a lot of work into
MongoMapper (100x more than myself), and provided it to the community
for free along with excellent support via irc and mailing list. I
don't have the right to tell him how he should run his project. It's
up to him, and as he's expressed many times on this email list, he
could "care less" who uses mongomapper.

But assuming your time is valuable, you should make the right decision
on what technologies you use. I suggest you'd be much better served
with another MongoDB modeling library.

So in anticipation of the response "stop bitching and go start your
own mongodb framework", I will stop bitching. There's already a nice
alternative which is mature and has a much more open culture for
contributions. I switched my rails3 projects over to Mongoid 2.0.beta
and it has worked great so far. If you're interested in really getting
involved to help advance a mongodb framework without fighting tooth
and nail with the maintainer, I believe it's your best bet right now.

Here's what Mongoid offers right now:
- rails3 support + built in generators + full devise support
- named scopes and chainable queries
- a nice set of getting started docs at mongoid.org
- better test suite (rspec)
- better benchmarked performance
- a maintainer who is looking to nurture a healthy open source
community

install it via:
gem install mongoid --pre

source code:
http://github.com/durran/mongoid

Again, apologies for this post. I'll stop now.

Thomas R. Koll

Mar 30, 2010, 5:20:52 AM3/30/10
to mongo...@googlegroups.com

Am 30.03.2010 um 11:04 schrieb Jacques Crocker:

> It's up to him, and as he's expressed many times on this email list, he
> could "care less" who uses mongomapper.

I've pretty much switched to Mongoid for the same reasons, despite being
a arsehole and cowboy hacker myself.

--
Thomas R. "TomK32" Koll

Joe Van Overberghe

Mar 30, 2010, 6:00:50 AM3/30/10
to mongo...@googlegroups.com
You should have stopped before you started...

Joe Van Overberghe
---------
Sent from my iPhone

> --
> "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

Paul Bowsher

Mar 30, 2010, 6:24:16 AM3/30/10
to mongo...@googlegroups.com
Whatever. But don't make a big song and dance about it.

Paul Bowsher

Brent Rowland

Mar 30, 2010, 9:23:22 AM3/30/10
to mongo...@googlegroups.com
No good deed goes unpunished, eh?

Brent

Sent from my iPod

Sho Fukamachi

Mar 30, 2010, 9:50:12 AM3/30/10
to mongo...@googlegroups.com
I think you're being unfair. John has accepted and merged several of my own features, all of which he said he had no use for and was concerned about having to maintain. In the end, though, he listened to the community, and if it was a well-written, well-tested patch, he pulled it in. In fact, one of those (procs as defaults) you were also an advocate of. It's in there right now.

I know where you're coming from, of course; I've had similar concerns myself about this and other projects. But I think you're casting things in an undeservedly negative light here.

If mongoid the library, and mongoid the community, fit you better, then I wish you the best with them, and I say that sincerely. Mongoid is a great library and I've been checking it out too. But no need to dump on MM in general or John in particular as you leave. That's just not cool.

Sho

John Nunemaker

Mar 30, 2010, 12:11:33 PM3/30/10
to mongo...@googlegroups.com
First off, I doubt I am smarter. Second, I hope you are happy with Mongoid. Everyone is different and that is what makes open source great. Cheers!

ara.t.howard

Mar 30, 2010, 11:15:15 PM3/30/10
to MongoMapper

On Mar 30, 10:11 am, John Nunemaker <nunema...@gmail.com> wrote:
> First off, I doubt I am smarter. Second, I hope you are happy with Mongoid.
> Everyone is different and that is what makes open source great. Cheers!

good on ya john - releasing code is a thankless task. for anyone who
hasn't done it - you have no idea how much so...

mm is great. mongoid is great. living on the edge between two moving
targets (mongo + rails) is a super tough place to find a win. the
best we can hope for is that our applications have users - anything
else barely matters.

/back to work.

Hubert Łępicki

Mar 31, 2010, 2:45:02 AM3/31/10
to mongo...@googlegroups.com
I think both: MongoMapper and Mongoid are pretty similar, and you
could possibly migrate medium size project from one to another during
a day or two. So not a big deal to me at all.

What is true is that Rails 3 brings some negative effects. Devise
dropped support to MongoMapper because of it not supporting
ActiveModel validations, and I am pretty sure that this is only the
beginning.

The problem is more complicated than that, and I think it's something
caused by Rails 3 architecture change. I am not entirely convinced
that forcing different ORMs to use ActiveModel is such great idea, but
this is life.

Performance issues are pretty important, though. I can't say I'm not
satisfied with MM beating over AR+MySQL, but if could do better then
I'm in. Where are the benchmarks you mentioned?

H.

2010/3/31 ara.t.howard <ara.t....@gmail.com>:

> --

Pozdrawiam,
Hubert Łępicki
[ http://hubertlepicki.com ]

Adilson Chacon

Mar 31, 2010, 8:31:13 AM3/31/10
to mongo...@googlegroups.com
MongoId is awesome! MongoMapper too!

I'm glad having two nice options to do my job well.

2010/3/31 Hubert Łępicki <hubert....@gmail.com>:

--
Adilson Chacon
site: http://www.adilsonchacon.com

John Nunemaker

Mar 31, 2010, 10:36:17 AM3/31/10
to mongo...@googlegroups.com
I have every intention of moving to AM when Rails 3 actually gets released (or soon after). I'm also not sure that forcing AM is a great idea, but until there is something better it is probably a good idea. Also, regarding devise, support is only dropped because MM does not use AM::Validations. When I do what I have planned, it will and all will be well.