What happens if maxSize isn't set and the disk space runs out?

David M

Sep 3, 2010, 1:52:03 PM9/3/10
to mongodb-user
From the docs at http://www.mongodb.org/display/DOCS/Configuring+Sharding
"If unspecified, the system will use the entire disk."

This is what we want but will the system know that it is out of space
and send updates/inserts to other shards?

Eliot Horowitz

Sep 3, 2010, 1:57:46 PM9/3/10
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
The system will try to keep data balanced across all shards.
It won't look at disk full levels right now and assume the capacity across all shards is the same.

David M

Sep 3, 2010, 2:04:01 PM9/3/10
to mongodb-user
So the best thing to do is set maxSize to a bit less than the disk
size so that it won't ever run out of disk space.

On Sep 3, 6:57 pm, Eliot Horowitz <eliothorow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The system will try to keep data balanced across all shards.
> It won't look at disk full levels right now and assume the capacity across
> all shards is the same.
>

> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 1:52 PM, David M <da...@boxedice.com> wrote:
> > From the docs athttp://www.mongodb.org/display/DOCS/Configuring+Sharding
> > "If unspecified, the system will use the entire disk."
>
> > This is what we want but will the system know that it is out of space
> > and send updates/inserts to other shards?
>
> > --
> > .

Eliot Horowitz

Sep 3, 2010, 2:06:11 PM9/3/10
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
I would actually set it to 70% or so.
maxSize is more of a hint than a super hard cutoff.

How different is space in machines?

David Mytton

Sep 3, 2010, 2:07:47 PM9/3/10
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
They all have the same amount - 500GB.

--
David Mytton
www.serverdensity.com / www.mytton.net

Eliot Horowitz

Sep 3, 2010, 4:29:06 PM9/3/10
to mongod...@googlegroups.com
In that case, you really don't need maxSize.
It might be useful to set it to 300 for all shards, so if you add new shards with 1TB of spaces, things will be ok