IP Addresss of iPhone

Peter Boynton

Jul 6, 2010, 3:30:05 PM7/6/10
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Can anyone advise how you establish what the IP address is (please excuse me if my terminology is not correct but I mean the 10.0.1.6 etc) of my iPhone. Also does it change?

The reason I ask is I have just established that Virus BArrier has been blocking my iPhone syncing with 1 Password on my Mac.

Having looked into the logs in Virus barrier I can see a list of IP addresses ranging from 10.0.1.1 to 10.0.1.7 which has blocked suggestion that these addresses are trying to attack my Mac.

Therefore I want to permanently add the IP addresses of my iPhone into the Trusted Addresses list to enable my iPhone to sync when required. Obviously if the addresses change depending upon what is started first then i will need to find another method.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Jagdeep Heer

Jul 6, 2010, 3:49:48 PM7/6/10
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Im assuming your connecting through your home WiFi?

if so, go to Settings and click on Wi-Fi. then click on the blue arrow to your connected network.

Jags

--
MMUG is an  Apple User Group.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the "MMUG Chat" group. To post to the group, send email to mmug...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe, send email to mmug-chat-...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/mmug-chat. Please note that what you post to the list is publicly readable by anyone and regularly indexed by search engines.

--
Jags

Dom Barnes

Jul 6, 2010, 3:54:57 PM7/6/10
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pete

Your IP is subject to change really. Your wifi base station (Apple or otherwise) issues an IP address, often in ascending number order. 10.0.1.1 is the address of your router/gateway. It will then issue addresses starting 10.0.1.2, then .1.3, .1.4, etc. Each address is reserved for a device for a given time (lease time). If it is unused after that time, the router can reuse it for another device. Handy if you have lots of devices coming and going (like a public hotspot)

So it is likely your iPhone IP address will stay the same unless your router reboots or its off the wifi beyond the lease time expiration.

You can usually reserve an IP for a specific device based on its hardware wireless card's unique ID (MAC address). This is configured on the router and will always assign your iPhone that address.

Alternatively you can set a manual address on the iPhone itself however this is not the best method as the router could possibly use that IP for another device and cause conflict when both devices try to use the same IP at the same time.

Google your router and "static ip" or "MAC reservation" and you should be able to find instructions for setting this on your hardware.

Its possible you can just allow Virus Barrier to permit traffic on the port 1Password uses. It would only be useful when 1password is running so poses little threat to leaving that port open on your internal network.

Dom Barnes
----------------
http://dombarnes.com

Peter Boynton

Jul 6, 2010, 3:59:43 PM7/6/10
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Doh - I thought I had seen it somewhere.

Thanks Jags

Pete

Peter Boynton

Jul 6, 2010, 4:09:49 PM7/6/10
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dom

Thanks for the reply.

This is what is confusing me. 1Password on the iPhone allows an advanced connection method by entering the IP address and port number. I currently have 2 iPhones on the go (was rather impetuous!!) both with 1 Password app on them. When I go into the advanced connections section each phone provides a different port number!! As I know nothing about ports or IP Addresses etc this seems to me to be illogical unless there is a range of ports 1PW uses.

Just on a similar line is there a way of finding out what IP address is assigned to what piece of kit. I have a work PC (and God I hate it) on my home network and associated peripheries? It would be great to know what item of kit is what in terms of its IP address.

Cheers

Pete

Dom Barnes

Jul 6, 2010, 4:57:00 PM7/6/10
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Normally 1Password discovers the iPhone when you have allowed new connections from the Wifi Sync settings menu, you then just enter two codes to confirm the device is with you and you want to sync and then it will do the rest. I can only assume your Virus Barrier is getting in the way here!
You don't seem to be the first person with this problem. Apparently you can specify a port in DoorStop(??) to be open to allow the syncing. However the forum (link below) does suggest you ensure you are running the most up-to-date version of Virus Barrier and 1Password.
This may also help (see Check Security Software Configuration section) http://help.agile.ws/1Password_touch/sync_problems.html

Looking at it, the iPhone app randomises the port it uses each time you open it, perhaps using Bonjour to advertise the service to the desktop, so opening a port might not work all the time, unless you specify a port in the advanced section of settings on the iPhone version.

Regarding your IP addresses in use, if you have a non-Apple router, fire up a web browser and type in 10.0.1.1 (your router/default gateway address) and you should get a webpage which you will need to login to. Once logged in (google for default passwords if you haven't changed them, then change them!) you should be able to find a section called Attached Devices or something similar. This will list all currently active devices, their IP and MAC address. You may possibly find a setting here to reserve an IP address for each device.
If you have an Apple router (Airport Express/Extreme/Time Capsule) go to /Applications/Utilities and find Airport Utility. Open it, double click the your device which will appear in the list, click Advanced, then Logs And Statistics button, then DHCP clients. This should again list all your network devices in use, as well as MAC address, IP, hostname, and Lease Expiration date/time.

The other option is to go to each device and check them all individually but thats a pain.

Hope that helps some more.
Dom

Peter Boynton

Jul 6, 2010, 5:17:27 PM7/6/10
to mmug...@googlegroups.com
Dom

Many thanks.

I have an Apple Extreme Base Station and I think I have managed to assign a static IP address to my iPhone and added that to Trusted Addresses within VB and it syncs.

1PW have advised they use Bonjour for the connection between iPhone and Desktop hence the different port numbers used.

Your tip on the log list in Airport Utility looks interesting and I will look at it tomorrow when I have some time. I have noticed thought that there are two entries for my works Dell Laptop for some reason that I can't understand - I only have one hateful PC in the house.

Thanks

Pete