Feature Request: Black & White LCD

MediaBaron

Jan 20, 2012, 1:30:38 AM1/20/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Not sure this is even possible but I thought I'd throw this out there.

Is it possible to have the LCD display in Black & White (greyscale)
instead of full color? Sometimes I think it might be easier for me to
focus and concentrate if the image was displayed without color when
I'm shooting footage of sports where I'm constantly focusing.

Alex

Jan 24, 2012, 4:19:03 PM1/24/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
It seems we are lucky: one of the DIGIC registers adjusts the saturation for LiveView image, without affecting recording or on-screen meters.

Enable it from Display menu (advanced mode).

So, now you can:
* preview in grayscale, record normally (could be useful with focus peaking)
* preview with high saturation (for example, to see the white balance better), record normally (flat)

I've tested it on 550D, 60D, 5D2 and only ran the stability test on 5D2, with this option active.

--
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

autoexec.bin

Giovanni Di Cello

Jan 24, 2012, 6:18:51 PM1/24/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Working on the 50D.
;)

g3gg0

Jan 24, 2012, 6:19:17 PM1/24/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
confirmed for 600D.

but LVx10 zoom mode is black with some little noise as if the cap was
on the lens.
also LVx5 is little darker
>  autoexec.bin
> 1766KAnzeigenHerunterladen

g3gg0

Jan 24, 2012, 6:42:12 PM1/24/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
wait. this also happens with earlier versions. (vectorscope release)

LVx10 is black

Giovanni Di Cello

Jan 24, 2012, 6:55:00 PM1/24/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Do you mean the screen goes totally black in 10x zoom mode?
I've just tested with both the feature we're talking about and
vectorscope and i have no problems.

unity2k

Jan 24, 2012, 7:07:10 PM1/24/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
On the 550 I'm good, LVx10 and x5 are both working, with LV grayscale,
with vectorscope on too.
> > > 1766KAnzeigenHerunterladen- Hide quoted text -

g3gg0

Jan 24, 2012, 7:07:33 PM1/24/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
yeah, i reset ML config, now it works fine.
not sure what caused this problem, but backed up the config to check.

-> patch works fine for 600D

Task51

Jan 24, 2012, 8:15:27 PM1/24/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
There is a bug at the white balance ..
if you start to change it manually it wont change into live view
anymore ..
i really LOVE that feature because you can instantly see what´s
changing ...
and i want it back :(
Cheers
Tk51
>  autoexec.bin
> 1766KViewDownload

Task51

Jan 24, 2012, 8:16:07 PM1/24/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
both working on 550d with vector scope

On Jan 24, 10:19 pm, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  autoexec.bin
> 1766KViewDownload

Francis Danforth

Jan 24, 2012, 8:47:24 PM1/24/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Changing the white balance is reflected in LV for me with this
autoexec.bin on the 550d. Greyscale and High saturation are working
for me as well. They greyscale will prove to be useful for focusing
for me. Like the OP I get a little overwhelmed with the LV display
sometimes.

Alex

Jan 25, 2012, 1:57:10 AM1/25/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Tip: to preview white balance in LiveView (or any other setting), press 'Zoom In' while you are in ML menu.

Of course, to see white balance changes, you need to disable grayscale mode, or to enable the vectorscope :)

MediaBaron

Jan 26, 2012, 4:54:01 AM1/26/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Awesome! Grayscale looks pretty sweet for fast, accurate focusing.
Wish I had this before basketball tonight as I only saw this post
after, but there are more sports for me to shoot this week so I'll
give it a good workout.

Brilliant!

MediaBaron

Jan 29, 2012, 9:34:30 PM1/29/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Just shot a couple of soccer games, using both grayscale and very high
color saturation on the LCD and it worked better than the normal
setting to assist focus. Actually the backlit rainy game looked
beautiful in grayscale but posted it in color. http://youtu.be/cNbGAcvE0FY