Magic Lantern for 550D/1.0.8 with zebras, histogram, cropmarks and selectable audio

Alex

Dec 8, 2010, 6:36:48 PM12/8/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
New experimental version is available for you to test.

https://bitbucket.org/a1ex/magic-lantern/

New features:
- Zebras
- Histogram

Also, it includes the features from previous builds: cropmarks and
selectable audio.

New or changed options in config file:
zebra.level = 240 // the YUV buffer I've found has only 8
bits for luma
zebra.delay = 1000 // (new) miliseconds; set it to 200 for
more frequent display updates
audio.draw-meters = 0 // (new) disable audio meters
audio.input-source = 0 // changed default input source to internal mic

Enjoy!

DSCF2702.JPG

Alex

Dec 8, 2010, 6:42:22 PM12/8/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
P.S. This works for firmware 1.0.8 only.

JeremyOne

Dec 9, 2010, 1:39:07 AM12/9/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Alex:

This is a great release, I have been waiting for zebra for quite a
while and I am very excited.

I did load the firmware and here are my notes:

Zebra and the crop work great, I know I will be using them as is. I
did notice that it appears that each time the zebra is drawn it clears
all other onscreen stuff. The only time that is really an issue for me
is when I am looking for the red recording dot, though I can also look
at the status light on the SD card for an recording indication.

Also, zebra and histogram don't show in two situations:

1. When turning the camera on in video mode.
2. If the live-view turns off automatically by timer, then I turn it
on again without switching modes.

However, the fix is easy: start or switch to photo mode, then back
again. Not a big issue for me.

Thanks again for the release, I am excited to have a new toy on my
camera.

Jeremy
>  DSCF2702.JPG
> 1982KViewDownload

Alex

Dec 9, 2010, 2:11:31 AM12/9/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.

I've also noticed these issues, and added some debug info in order to
understand why they happen and what can I do to fix them. If cropmarks
are not shown, I switch Live View off and back on and they are back
again.

Matt Dennie

Dec 9, 2010, 2:44:07 AM12/9/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I have also noticed those problems, as well as the audio meters flash with the zebra stripes.

--
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Alex

Dec 9, 2010, 3:49:53 AM12/9/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Audio meter flash with zebra is fixed (...will be in the next release).

robert

Dec 9, 2010, 6:00:49 AM12/9/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Why not continue developing on 1.0.9 firmware? It seems that those of
us who upgraded can't downgrade anymore... would be easier to just
upgrade everyone to 1.0.9 from now on, and forget 1.0.8.

Alex

Dec 9, 2010, 6:21:38 AM12/9/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Because I have a very good IDC database for 1.0.8 firmware from Indy,
so it's easier for me to develop on 1.0.8. Firmware matching scripts
aren't 100% effective, so I don't have (yet) matches for all subs
annotated in 1.0.8.

But if everyone wants to forget 1.0.8, I'll upgrade my camera;
however, in this case, I'll need more time to implement new features.

After new features on 1.0.8 are stable, it shouldn't be difficult to
port them to 1.0.9.

aqu...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2010, 6:29:30 AM12/9/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
This could be me being stupid, but 1.0.9 doesn't seem to offer in
major fixes over 1.0.8.

Also, where can a person get a copy of a good IDC database ?

Thanks

Aaron

Alex

Dec 9, 2010, 6:30:41 AM12/9/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
It's on this mailing list (don't remember which thread).

anykill

Dec 9, 2010, 4:46:12 PM12/9/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Just one question, why i cant hear what i recorded when i play on the
camera? I know the audio was recorded because i can hear it on PC.
It works ok without ML
Thank you

On Dec 9, 9:30 am, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's on this mailing list (don't remember which thread).
>
> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 1:29 PM, aqua...@gmail.com <aqua...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This could be me being stupid, but 1.0.9 doesn't seem to offer in
> > major fixes over 1.0.8.
>
> > Also, where can a person get a copy of a good IDC database ?
>
> > Thanks
>
> > Aaron
>
> > On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Because I have a very good IDC database for 1.0.8 firmware from Indy,
> >> so it's easier for me to develop on 1.0.8. Firmware matching scripts
> >> aren't 100% effective, so I don't have (yet) matches for all subs
> >> annotated in 1.0.8.
>
> >> But if everyone wants to forget 1.0.8, I'll upgrade my camera;
> >> however, in this case, I'll need more time to implement new features.
>
> >> After new features on 1.0.8 are stable, it shouldn't be difficult to
> >> port them to 1.0.9.

> >> --
> >>http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Alex

Dec 9, 2010, 5:16:26 PM12/9/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
No idea, sorry. Did it work with other ML builds?

Daniel De Tomasi

Dec 9, 2010, 5:59:18 PM12/9/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
without ML it works fine! i will take a look on another build!

2010/12/9 Alex <broscu...@gmail.com>

--
Daniel De Tomasi
------------------------------

Patrick Burns

Dec 10, 2010, 1:36:39 AM12/10/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Better yet, why cant CANON incorporate these features?  I was certain the AGC issue would be fixed in the latest version of the firmware, but no.  Its a good thing I'm not a betting man!

Canon needs to realize they are in the VIDEO camera market with dSLRs.  Just sayin.

Pedro Barbosa

Dec 10, 2010, 7:28:39 AM12/10/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
i made the mistake of updating the firmware to 1.0.9 i now i can't
test this ML...does anyone confirmed that it's impossible to downgrade
to older version of firmware?

i´ve been testing all the ML version and now i'm stuck...

Pedro Barbosa

aqu...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2010, 8:15:12 AM12/10/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps it's possible to downgrade using the EOS utility (like on the 7D) ?

Alex

Dec 10, 2010, 8:31:53 AM12/10/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Someone tried to downgrade and install ML 1.0.8, without success (see
the wiki, 550D page, there's a link to this issue).

You may also try to compile my code with the 1.0.9 stubs (but you have
to find the missing addresses). There are lots of tools for that
(gensig/finsig, patchdiff, match.py); The VRAM address can be found in
debug logs. See the wiki for details.

Alex

Dec 10, 2010, 8:47:59 AM12/10/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Actually, it is possible to downgrade to 1.0.8, but after that, Magic
Lantern will refuse to install. No idea why, but I'd like to know.

On Dec 10, 3:15 pm, "aqua...@gmail.com" <aqua...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps it's possible to downgrade using the EOS utility (like on the 7D) ?

Alex

Dec 10, 2010, 3:11:56 PM12/10/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Just found this page on the wiki:
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Firmware_downgrade

So it might be possible to downgrade to 1.0.8, but it's a bit risky.
If anyone wants to try, please tell us how it went (but if you do, you
do this at your own risk!)

Piers

Dec 10, 2010, 3:42:43 PM12/10/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I beleive the audio out (or the lack of it) is related to the fact
that ML directs audio to the A/V port, not the internal speaker, but
I've yet to test that theory out.

It's been in every ML build I've tried.

PG

Trammell Hudson

Dec 10, 2010, 5:50:37 PM12/10/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 13:46:12 -0800 (PST), anykill wrote:
> Just one question, why i cant hear what i recorded when i play on the
> camera? I know the audio was recorded because i can hear it on PC.

This works on the 5D, with some caveats -- check out the configuration
of loopback in audio.c to see how it switches from input-loopback-mode
to output-mode.

However, it does not play on the speaker. The output device is the A/V
jack and I do not recall how to switch it back to the internal output.
The AK4646 datasheet or the hotplug task would have the logic to do
this.

--
Trammell

Pedro Barbosa

Dec 10, 2010, 7:34:05 PM12/10/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
is it possible that if we disable the DISKBOOT flag and then we
downgrade to 1.0.8 , the ML could work again?

Alex

Dec 10, 2010, 8:08:17 PM12/10/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I'm not familiar with Magic Lantern's boot process, so... it may work,
or it may not. It seems 5D2 users were able to downgrade and install
ML, so there's some hope.

Also, I'm not sure which were the exact steps followed by our
anonymous tester; the "Firmware downgrade" wiki page says there should
be only one firmware file on the card, otherwise camera would freeze
and you'll have to take the battery out. These symptoms are the same
as those experienced by the anonymous tester.

The safest thing to do is to wait until these features get ported on
1.0.9. I'll try to help finding the required stub entries.

Jad Meouchy

Dec 14, 2010, 10:38:20 PM12/14/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I had an idea for improving the performance of the zebra - interlace the scanning/drawing.  Draw even lines on one frame, odd on the next.  It might get distracting but it should improve the perceived performance.  Or maybe read every other pixel or in a grid pattern to skip the time it takes to process each frame.

On that topic, has anyone done any profiling to figure out whether it's reading the buffer or drawing to it that is so slow?

Thanks,
Jad

p.s.  I am capable of coding this tweak but just wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone had tried already.

Alex

Dec 15, 2010, 1:49:20 AM12/15/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Drawing the zebra is done by writing directly to the overlay video
RAM. The code needs optimization, but I'm not good at that.

Piers

Dec 15, 2010, 3:48:27 AM12/15/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
It's set to draw them every second is why they're that slow. The interval is settable via Alex's menus, I believe. How fast they can go before there's trouble, I don't know.

Zebra and focus-assist drawing are on my "to investigate" list, my ARM assembler knowledge is growing slowly. They cry out for SIMD-type code, which I don't think ARM can do.

PG

Alex

Dec 15, 2010, 3:51:05 AM12/15/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
It's a setting in the config file (1 second refresh). But the drawing
code IS slow.

Jad Meouchy

Dec 15, 2010, 4:35:58 AM12/15/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
yes I had set the interval pretty low and was getting some flickering, seemed like the drawing itself was the slow part

Piers

Dec 15, 2010, 6:34:01 AM12/15/10
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Ah, great, now I don't have to find out for myself! Def something I want to look at, some day.