Fwd: Magic Firmware UI

Alex

Feb 10, 2011, 4:10:54 AM2/10/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hello,

Here's a very interesting proposal for ML user interface from one of our users.

Feb 10, 2011, 4:45:25 AM2/10/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
If it's easy to do, great.
>  Magic-Lantern-UI_1.gif
> 32KViewDownload
>
>  Magic-Lantern-UI_2.gif
> 21KViewDownload
>
>  Magic-Lantern-UI_9.gif
> 28KViewDownload

Alex

Feb 10, 2011, 4:48:01 AM2/10/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
One more reason to investigate the built-in SVG rendering engine :)

> --
> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

James Donnelly

Feb 10, 2011, 5:06:07 AM2/10/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I think full screen is the way to go, and the screens look awesome.  It's great that a professional UI guy wants to get involved.

Carlos

Feb 10, 2011, 5:35:50 AM2/10/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Looks great, very professional (not that your menus are ugly, Alex, but these look awesome:D )

chungdha

Feb 10, 2011, 5:43:23 AM2/10/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Would look very pro if it is possible, it is possible get like the
same look as the canon menu inside with the small drop down menu for
certain setting so would be able to choose thing pressing up and down
instead having to press the set button to go through the settings
especially find it during interview or events not that great to press
the set button and going to a louder volume. Mainly if I walk close
to the front of a event and also closer to the speaker boxes it would
go way to loud instead of setting it softer each time I get closer.

Is it also possible for multiple save config and choose like config 1
config 2 config 3. Cause sometimes need to go through allot of the
setting to set it all correct. Cause for movie filming I have like
different mic setup and use monitor and all kinds of stuff, while for
events I use less stuff without all the meters and different mic setup
and interview I also have a different mic setup and all.

Shawn Wytch

Feb 10, 2011, 6:07:49 AM2/10/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
whats the risk of it not being able to see the orginal menu
--
Email me at too...@gmail.com
Or call me at 316.312.5584 ask for Shawn

Shawn Wytch

Feb 10, 2011, 6:18:30 AM2/10/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
alex it looks good is it going to be too much for u and what are the risks of anything going wrong with the normal menu also will i have to upgradew or just copy files to sd like normal?

Alex

Feb 10, 2011, 6:29:53 AM2/10/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
This is a development forum, please do not pollute it any more. Thanks.

Shawn Wytch

Feb 10, 2011, 6:43:07 AM2/10/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
just wondering how the menu will change

JaKob

Feb 10, 2011, 8:09:51 AM2/10/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
SICK
- Jakob

Shawn Wytch

Feb 10, 2011, 9:47:37 AM2/10/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
yes that looks real good.

Shawn Wytch

Feb 10, 2011, 10:06:14 AM2/10/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
just downloaded magiclantern-2011Feb10.550d.fw109.AudioMon.sleek.alex
and the trash button has a bug when you load up the menu and click it again the canon trash button pops up and the ML menu dont close! anyone know anything about this?

Alex

Feb 10, 2011, 10:12:00 AM2/10/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Please reply in the correct thread and tell me in which mode does this happen.

Shawn Wytch

Feb 10, 2011, 10:14:21 AM2/10/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
i turned it off sorry and took the battery out and its not happening now. i dont know what that was about. sorry im just responding via gmail

konarix

Feb 10, 2011, 4:12:57 PM2/10/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hi.

The most interesting thing is button remap.

Selecting values with set/disp, which is right now, isn't very
comfortable while filming on RIG.

The main menu sections would be selected with Menu/disp, or/and Jog
dial, and all
menu configurations with up/down/left/right/set - BRILLIANT !!

Please do this first!

Best Regards.
Marcin.

On 10 Lut, 16:14, Shawn Wytch <tool...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i turned it off sorry and took the battery out and its not happening now. i
> dont know what that was about. sorry im just responding via gmail
>

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Please reply in the correct thread and tell me in which mode does this
> > happen.
>
> > On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Shawn Wytch <tool...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > just downloaded magiclantern-2011Feb10.550d.fw109.AudioMon.sleek.alex
> > > and the trash button has a bug when you load up the menu and click it
> > again
> > > the canon trash button pops up and the ML menu dont close! anyone know
> > > anything about this?

> > > --
> > > Email me at tool...@gmail.com
> > > Or call me at 316.312.5584 ask for Shawn
>
> > > --
> > >http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

> > --
> >http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

> --
> Email me at tool...@gmail.com

Alex

Feb 26, 2011, 3:14:01 PM2/26/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Here's a preview of the suggested button scheme. Not all menu items
are working well, but you can switch menus with MENU/DISP and toggle
values with LEFT, SET, RIGHT and Q. Right now, SET is the same as
RIGHT, and LEFT is the same as the old DISP.

Problems:

1) If you are accustomed with the current button scheme, you'll try to
move in the menus with LEFT/RIGHT, which would change current setting.
Then you have to change it back, and remember you should use
MENU/DISP. That's not good.

2) The old button scheme makes it easy to navigate the entire menu
with a single hand, except for DISP button. Workaround: PLAY also
moves through main menu sections (the same as DISP).

Another idea is to leave the old button scheme (arrows just for menu
navigation), and change these keys:
- PLAY: change value backwards
- Q: change value forwards
- SET: enable/disable the setting, or switch between (a few) modes
- MENU and DISP are free (maybe use one of them for auto-tuning the
value, in the expo menu, or navigate between sub-fields for complex
menu items?)

I'm not committing the new button scheme to the repo yet, as I need
some feedback on this. There is a patch attached instead.

You can also find in this build a full-screen clock and an
experimental feature which reduces picture quality in burst mode. The
idea is to be able to set the quality to RAW+JPEG and forget about it.
Which means you can take regular shots at max quality, and burst shots
at fast JPEG quality (except for first two frames, which can be raw
without filling the buffer). It's not yet 100% stable (it crashed once
for me and I had to take the battery out).

This build is just for testing (not recommended for general use). I've
ran it today all day long outside in photo mode and it only crashed
once, but I've found the menu navigation a bit cumbersome with the new
keybindings.

menu.patch
magiclantern-2011Feb26.550d.fw109.AudioMon.buttons-scrambled.alex.zip

Fernando Freire

Feb 27, 2011, 3:14:05 AM2/27/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I think the most standard button scheme is:

1)
Left-Right to go on upper menus
Up-Down to go on inner menus
Set to select a menu item and then we go into edition mode: no more navigation between menu items.

2)
Left-Right to select between item values.
Set to change the value.
Q to quit item edit mode and go to menu mode.

Fernando Freire

Feb 27, 2011, 3:42:23 AM2/27/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I send it without finish:
I mean:

I think the most standard button scheme is:

1)
Left-Right to go on upper menus
Up-Down to go on inner menus
Set to select a menu item and then we go into "item edition mode": no more navigation between menu items.
This scheme is the same as Canon menus.
We call it "menu navigation mode".

2)      "item edition mode"
Left-Right to select between item values.
Set to change the value.
Q to quit "item edition mode" and go to "menu navigation mode".

But if we have items with subfields?

Then the item behaves as a submenu, similarly to "menu navigation mode"

3)        "subfield edition mode"
Left-Right to navigate between subfields
Set to enter on "(sub)item edition mode"
Press Q to go out "menu navigation mode". (note two Q presses to go out complex item)

and to set ON-OFF?
once positioned on menu item press SET?:

SET on menu item switchs between: OFF- edit values , regardless of the item has or not subitems, but in subitems, edit values == navigate between subitems.

And we have free up-down (for another speed (step)  of changing values?) and disp, etc... to take care of other functions

K.

Feb 27, 2011, 6:53:20 AM2/27/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I think this new button scheme is better than old one,takes some time to get used to it but i pefere it over old one.