Help porting to 500d

Chuchin

Dec 22, 2010, 11:12:30 AM12/22/10
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Need help porting ML to 500d. I'm working with the 2.0.4 build. I
updated the 5d-hack.c to the 500d values. Added the stubs-500d110.s
and added some address to it. Updated the makefile, maybe the wrong
restartstart address? Added 500d00110.0.header.bin 500d00110.1.bin
also updated the makefile. I get a .fir file but the LCD stays black
and I have to remove the battery to reboot. Any help would be welcome.

Alex

Jan 6, 2011, 5:26:09 PM1/6/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Chuchin's code is committed, but does not compile yet on my machine:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/changeset/b9407fd7f9f7

> --
> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

arm.indy

Jan 6, 2011, 6:26:32 PM1/6/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
how is built the .fir ?

xored using fw_dissect?

On 6 jan, 23:26, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Chuchin's code is committed, but does not compile yet on my machine:https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/changeset/b9407fd7f9f7

Chuchin

Jan 6, 2011, 6:54:05 PM1/6/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I built the .fir file with the assemble_fw tool and autoexec.bin, also
used fw_dissect to get the 500d00110.0.header.bin 500d00110.1.bin
files.

arm.indy

Jan 7, 2011, 2:31:58 AM1/7/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Any files produced ? Like a .log ? Did you compare 60d branch vs 550d
branch to see adaptation?

Chuchin

Jan 7, 2011, 2:19:43 PM1/7/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I'll look at the .log file tonight. I update the sourc files, it has
all the files I used to compile the .bin file
https://bitbucket.org/Chuchin/magic-lantern-500d/downloads/full_source_files.7z
and also all the files that I used to make the .fir file.
https://bitbucket.org/Chuchin/magic-lantern-500d/downloads/build%20fir.7z
Thank you for help.

alins

Feb 4, 2011, 1:29:37 AM2/4/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
i'm continuing the discussion from this thread:
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=5971.0

i figure since this is about ML 500d support any progress report
should be send on this mailing list. If i'm in error please let me
know.

i had a chance to play with the code a little bit today. I have
managed to fix the audio, video and brack menus (by fix i mean you can
actually see and set options in this menu's, no idea if they are
actually doing the right thing yet).

i also migrated the shoot menu from 60d branch and now you can also
access this menu on 500d, which means you have access to
intervalometer and trap focus (don't know if they are actually
working, see below)

I next plan to figure out how to migrate the hdr features from 550d
here. i very briefly play with the brack features and i can tell you
that the camera actually does take the right number of exposures but i
have a feeling based on the histogram that all the exposures are at
the same f-stop. i also need to figure out how to disable ML menu when
you are in preview mode since now the delete button i pretty much
trapped and you cannot actually delete anything

before going farther on this and people start asking for this and that
feature i want to point out a very important thing: i know almost next
to zero about magic lantern and/or chdk (i very much want to change
this in the near future) which means for example that i have no clue
what zebras are and what focus trap is suppose to do. what i did so
far is read the code to figure out how the menu's work and then pretty
much brute force migrate pieces from 60d and 550d branches into 500d
code until stuff starts working.

now if people can play with this and see what actually works and what
doesn't work i believe we can make some serious progress in finally
getting ML on 500d.

Alex/arm.indy: i really what to send you guys the code changes that i
have if you want them, just please let me know how should i deliver
them. I'm willing to continue playing with the code but very soon i'm
going to reach a point where i need some help on figuring out the code
base (just taking pieces from one branch and make them compile/work on
500d is easy, actually understanding what the pieces are doing is a
different ball game)

VERY IMPORTANT: all kudos goes to chuchin, he's the one that finally
figure out how to boot ML and actually make the menu work. My
contribution is minor compare to hes.

Regards,
Alin

P.S
I'm going to attach my autoexec.bin in chdk forum for people to play
with it, i haven't figure out how to attach stuff here

Alex

Feb 4, 2011, 2:52:58 PM2/4/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Salut Alin,

This sounds like a very nice progress.

* To attach files, send the message from your gmail account.
* To send the code to us, you can either create a fork of ML (like
other developers did, including Indy, Piers and myself), or send it as
a zip and I'll commit it to the main tree.

For the HDR code: the exposure is set with different methods,
depending on the shooting mode. In M mode, ML changes the shutter
(exposure time). In other modes, it changes the AE (which is just a
codename for exposure compensation).

What else works/doesn't work?

Alin Simionoiu

Feb 4, 2011, 3:34:45 PM2/4/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Salut,

Well, to answer what works and what doesn't work:

1. I didn't had time to play with it, I hope to have more time this weekend and see what actually works. So far i can navigate the menu's and can actually change values but i have no clue if is actually doing the right thing or not. What I mean by this is that i can go for example into the audio menu and set various things in there, but i have no idea if whatever i set has any effect or not (i hope this makes sense)

2. There are a couple of problems that i observed while playing with the menu's that needs to be fixed. For now i will call these minor annoying general usability problems:

One of them is what i said before: the delete button is completely trapped now and the code doesn't releases the button when you are in preview mode so you can actually delete pictures and/or movies. Second problem is that the menu doesn't always go away: for example you half press the shutter button sometimes is goes away sometimes it doesn't. i have to play with it more to see what's the pattern here.

3. I'm not 100% sure on this, so i will list it as a possible separate issue (or just me smoking the wrong things): i have a feeling that is using the battery like crazy. i mean i played with the code for a couple of hours and it eat a half charged battery fairly fast. maybe this is normal pattern, not sure. I also think is using the battery while the camera is turned off, not sure on this i need to play with it more.

I will send a zip file with the code changes tonight, i don't have access to my laptop at the moment.

Regards,
Alin

Alin Simionoiu

Feb 4, 2011, 7:30:46 PM2/4/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
here's a tgz file with all my code changes.
500d-alins-changes.tgz