Major backend update

Alex

May 9, 2012, 2:03:10 PM5/9/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
As you have noticed from the changesets, I've got my hands dirty and
tried to rework a large part of the backend.

Most important changes:

- Memory issue from 550D is gone.
- Shutdown process is much better understood. Hopefully the incomplete
shutdown problem is solved.
- Menu backend is much less obtrusive - it no longer uses Canon dialog
API, but the same mechanism used for shortcut keys. Should feel a bit
faster too.
- A few aggressive stability tests - which uncovered some very subtle bugs.
- Most CPU-intensive operations were moved to separate tasks, so they
should no longer slowdown Canon tasks.
- Some interesting info in debug menu: list of tasks started by Canon
and by ML (see screenshot), free memory in both malloc and system
heaps, CPU usage log.

Sure, all of these probably have little effect on user experience, but
I think they represent a huge step regarding stability => we are much
closer to the next big release.

However, these backend changes may have caused small bugs on the
front-end side. I'll let you discover them. In particular, this update
may save crash logs when something goes wrong - if you notice them on
the card, send them to me. Don't be scared if you see 100 crash logs
on the card - it's not that bad :)

Back on the user side. I've implemented a feature requested by our
moderator from Vimeo (Lucas Pfaff). You've guessed it - focus ramping
(like this: https://vimeo.com/41443896 ). Besides this, bulb ramping
got some major improvements:

- Manual exposure ramping.
- Dedicated sunset/sunrise modes. Idea from Tom Lowe -
http://bit.ly/lowe-ratchet .
- New feedback loop - not just something done with trial and error,
but this time it's mathematically correct. Proof included:
http://bit.ly/bramp-math .
- Calibration is only done once, and then saved in config file. Please
try it on 600D and let me know if it works.
- Configurable smoothing factor (for engineers: location of
closed-loop poles). Should result in very little flicker. Not tested
(only simulated the mathematical model).

Also you can find a couple of nice tricks:

- Scrollwheel(s) working in ML menu on all cameras.
- Some LiveView zoom tricks for manual focus (Tweaks menu).
- An automatic HDR bracketing option (just point and shoot - ML will
compute how many frames you need).
- 5D2, 50D, 500D: an option to adjust black level in movie mode. Use
it if you get green/magenta shadows (I've noticed them on 5D2). Newer
cameras don't seem to need this adjustment.
- Some new menu icons - should be more obvious where you have submenus.

Fixes:

- Exposure override should be saved correctly now.
- On 600D, focus peaking and magic zoom should work when toggling
between 1x/3x (credits: Paul Nolan).
- Tried to fix the first second of very loud audio. Not tested.
- Tried to fix very low FPS issue 979/1228 on 500D. Not tested.

UniWB was disabled (not reliable).

Latest changes only tested on my cameras (5D2, 550D, 60D). I'd like to
thank to people who compiled from source and pointed out bugs that I
didn't even think about (like repeating keys in menu).

Meanwhile, with the help of Indy, g3gg0 and Marvin, the 5D3 port goes
forward, slow but steady. Also take a look at Coutts' progress on 5D
classic. However, for now, the stable release for 5D2 has the highest
priority.

Enjoy!
5D3 tasks.jpg
autoexec.bin

Kevin Anderson

May 9, 2012, 2:06:47 PM5/9/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
THX! Alex.

I will try it out today.

Kevin Anderson

the Art of Visual Storytelling...

Kevin Anderson Photography
6890 E. Sunrise Dr. Ste 120- 355
Tucson, AZ 85750
866-405-6226 v
520-844-3406 f
520-904-2511 m

www.BLOG.KevinAndersonPhotography.com

www.KevinAndersonPhotography.com
> --
> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Alex

May 9, 2012, 2:08:32 PM5/9/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
P.S. Check out some nice tutorials here: http://www.reflexvideo.fr/tag/magic-lantern/
> > (like this:https://vimeo.com/41443896). Besides this, bulb ramping

daniel thissen

May 9, 2012, 2:17:33 PM5/9/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Gracias nuevamente!
I will try out and report.

daniel thissen

May 9, 2012, 2:24:01 PM5/9/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Gracias nuevamente!
I will try out and report.

El miércoles, 9 de mayo de 2012, Kevin Anderson escribió:
> (like this: https://vimeo.com/41443896 ). Besides this, bulb ramping

Kevin Anderson

May 9, 2012, 2:43:53 PM5/9/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

Kevin Anderson

the Art of Visual Storytelling...

Kevin Anderson Photography
6890 E. Sunrise Dr. Ste 120- 355
Tucson, AZ 85750
866-405-6226 v
520-844-3406 f
520-904-2511 m

www.BLOG.KevinAndersonPhotography.com

www.KevinAndersonPhotography.com

On May 9, 2012, at 11:03 AM, Alex wrote:

CRASH00.LOG
CRASH01.LOG
CRASH02.LOG
CRASH03.LOG

Alex

May 9, 2012, 2:47:15 PM5/9/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hm.. this means Canon firmware did not report the bitmap buffer
address (where ML draws on the screen).

In what mode is this happening? Do you use an external monitor?

Kevin Anderson

May 9, 2012, 2:48:19 PM5/9/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Camera startup in manual mode

Kevin Anderson

the Art of Visual Storytelling...

Kevin Anderson Photography
6890 E. Sunrise Dr. Ste 120- 355
Tucson, AZ 85750
866-405-6226 v
520-844-3406 f
520-904-2511 m

www.BLOG.KevinAndersonPhotography.com

www.KevinAndersonPhotography.com

Kevin Anderson

May 9, 2012, 2:49:02 PM5/9/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
PS, no ext. monitor this time. only body and lens.

Kevin Anderson

the Art of Visual Storytelling...

Kevin Anderson Photography
6890 E. Sunrise Dr. Ste 120- 355
Tucson, AZ 85750
866-405-6226 v
520-844-3406 f
520-904-2511 m

www.BLOG.KevinAndersonPhotography.com

www.KevinAndersonPhotography.com

Alex

May 9, 2012, 2:52:29 PM5/9/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hm.. I don't get these logs (startup in M mode, both with display off
and on, 50/1.8).

What card do you use? I know the camera starts slower with bigger
cards - may be related.

Oscar Moreno

May 9, 2012, 3:12:16 PM5/9/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Magnificent Alex!!! . . . this deserves a donation. I assume that most of these backend changes/improvements apply to the 50D. right? Also, How can I help with development for the 50D?

Alex

May 9, 2012, 3:16:04 PM5/9/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this applies to 50D too.

If you know C programming, you can compile the source code, find
something that doesn't work, fix it, and submit a patch. If not,
simply report the bugs to the issue tracker -
http://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issues .

Matthew Kieren

May 9, 2012, 4:34:36 PM5/9/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

Thank you again Alex, as well as all others who have helped, for the hard work you've put into this beautiful project. I'm sure the numerous lurkers out there thank you too.  :)

Kevin Anderson

May 9, 2012, 11:54:55 PM5/9/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Canon 24-70 2.8/
64 Gig Transcend
No external monitor
camera only./ same set up on all.
Manual mode on dial

Kevin Anderson

the Art of Visual Storytelling...

Kevin Anderson Photography
6890 E. Sunrise Dr. Ste 120- 355
Tucson, AZ 85750
866-405-6226 v
520-844-3406 f
520-904-2511 m

www.BLOG.KevinAndersonPhotography.com

www.KevinAndersonPhotography.com

Kevin Anderson

May 10, 2012, 12:08:01 AM5/10/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
New Crash Logs
CRASH06.LOG
CRASH07.LOG
CRASH08.LOG

derkiki

May 10, 2012, 2:02:57 AM5/10/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Wow, great! Thank you!
> (like this:https://vimeo.com/41443896). Besides this, bulb ramping
>  5D3 tasks.jpg
> 203KViewDownload
>
>  autoexec.bin
> 2063KViewDownload

Malcolm Debono

May 10, 2012, 2:12:39 AM5/10/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Nice! Will try it this evening :-)

thba74

May 10, 2012, 3:49:56 AM5/10/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

> - Tried to fix the first second of very loud audio. Not tested.

The problem is not solved completely. Exactly on the first second is the signal increases.
In previous versions, the first complete second was overridden.

Tested on a 550D + Rode VideoMic

Regards

Sven

Ash McKenzie

May 10, 2012, 5:09:12 AM5/10/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Hi Alex and Friends,

Along time since I posted here, have been using ML flatout tho so
helpful, I've been shooting off speeds alot, music videos mainly, I
found that every build after 2012 - 02 - 18 at 21: 21 :26 doesn't
allow me to access any frame rate past 26.765. On that build date I
can shoot upto 34p Stable, 35p Corrupts frames and features tearing in
the compressed image and anything over stops ml durning record. to
just access the frame rates between 26-34 in your lastest bulids would
be amazing. I'm using this build for now but of course doesn't
feature the saving of FPS overide like your lastest build. My 1st AC
would love you for it ;)

600d all 1080p shooting

Futher to that Alex and others I can't tell you what a joy it is as an
Indie DP to have P2 / Varicam feautres (under/Over Crank and RT
playback and any shutter angle I want) on 35mm Sensor that I can
afford, its humbling to see this much work going in in this community
all for free. I will be making another Donation again soon.

God Speed
Ash
> <https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-CxI6Csz0scM/T6tzAtpz6jI/AAAAAAAAAA...>

Ash McKenzie

May 10, 2012, 6:13:38 AM5/10/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hope this is useful info,

MagicZoom after 3x Crop mode is now working great,

However 3x Crop mode plus FPS Overide is Now Broken, both VF and Recorded image look like image buffer errors

Thanks Guys
2012-05-10_22-04-31_892.jpg

Alex

May 10, 2012, 6:19:41 AM5/10/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Can you post a screenshot with FPS override submenu in that mode? (to
see the numbers and the settings).

Also, you can increase timer values manually until the image becomes
correct again, and tell me those values. There is a minimum safe value
for timer A and a minimum safe value for timer B (they seem pretty
much independent).

Changing optimization mode may also help. Tell me which modes work and
which do not.

Ash McKenzie

May 10, 2012, 7:14:59 AM5/10/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey Alex,

Since that build date reguardless of the mode, High Jello, Low FPS 360, etc, as well as messing with A and B Timers, all values stop actual fps at 26.765
> ml-devel+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
VRAM1.jpg
VRAM2.jpg
VRAM3.jpg

Alex

May 10, 2012, 7:19:26 AM5/10/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I've asked you about the 3x crop bug, not about the highest FPS limit.

For highest FPS, I told you to override the 30p mode. You are still in 25p.
>> > ml-devel+u...@googlegroups.com
>> > For more options, visit this group at
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel?hl=en
>
> --
> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Ash McKenzie

May 10, 2012, 7:40:25 AM5/10/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Must have read wrong,

When the Camera is set to NTSC 30p ?? if im understanding correctly,

  • there is no frame buffer error in 3x Crop mode, the camera behaviours as expected,
  • Magic Zoom fine for both, before and after entering 3x Crop Mode,
  • Actual Max Frame rate is 30.415 All Modes
  • Requesting a Frame Rate Higher than 30p, 35 being the first aviable option results in the frame buffer error (am i discribing that correctly)

When the Camera is set to NTSC 24p

  • Same Issues as expressed in PAL 25p Mode

Quick question about the time base, if I use NTSC 30p as the time base for over crank will i have to reinterprent my footage on the timeline, one of the things I loved about that feb 18 build is that the footage played down at 25p in camera and appeared in the timeline as 25p as it synced with smart slate TC right off the bat?

>> > http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel?hl=en
>
> --
> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Alex

May 10, 2012, 7:51:25 AM5/10/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
So, with old implementation, you could get 34p from 25p? I don't have
the 60D right now to check.

If the image is wrong in any mode, simply increase timer A until you
get correct image, and tell me the value.

>> > --
>> > http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

> --
> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Ash McKenzie

May 10, 2012, 8:13:20 AM5/10/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Affirmitive to the first question, could get to 34p from 25p :D, to the second question i'll have to check on monday, your ML support is amazing Alex, wish I had time to give more regular updates.

>> > --
>> > http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

> --
> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Nicolas Triantafillou

May 10, 2012, 8:00:19 AM5/10/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update!

Crash logs attached from testing the sunset bulb ramping. (Still managed to work OK besides some crazy flicker)

Cheers,

Nick.

CRASH00.LOG
CRASH01.LOG
CRASH02.LOG
CRASH03.LOG

Emīls

May 10, 2012, 4:22:50 AM5/10/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Crash Logs
CRASH01.LOG
CRASH10.LOG
CRASH11.LOG
CRASH12.LOG
CRASH13.LOG
CRASH14.LOG
CRASH15.LOG
CRASH16.LOG
CRASH17.LOG
CRASH18.LOG
CRASH19.LOG
CRASH02.LOG
CRASH20.LOG
CRASH21.LOG
CRASH22.LOG
CRASH23.LOG
CRASH24.LOG
CRASH25.LOG
CRASH26.LOG
CRASH27.LOG
CRASH28.LOG
CRASH00.LOG
CRASH03.LOG
CRASH04.LOG
CRASH05.LOG
CRASH06.LOG
CRASH07.LOG
CRASH08.LOG
CRASH09.LOG

Alex

May 10, 2012, 3:57:19 PM5/10/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
If it wasn't the 1/8 EV flicker (which you can't avoid), can you send
me the exif info for the pictures, and the settings you have used?

daniel thissen

May 10, 2012, 6:08:39 PM5/10/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Crash report.

2012/5/10 Alex <broscu...@gmail.com>
CRASH00.LOG
CRASH09.LOG
CRASH10.LOG
CRASH11.LOG
CRASH12.LOG
CRASH13.LOG
CRASH14.LOG
CRASH15.LOG
CRASH16.LOG
LOG000.LOG
CRASH01.LOG
CRASH02.LOG
CRASH03.LOG
CRASH04.LOG
CRASH05.LOG
CRASH06.LOG
CRASH07.LOG
CRASH08.LOG

Milan Drobný

May 11, 2012, 6:14:59 AM5/11/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I don´t know if i can understand it right.. so this means,that people
with 5D2 ML unified can replace the old autoexec.bin with this new one
too?
would it be possible to skip every second frame(only on the screen) in
HDR video mode..to avoid the flickering on display?

BTW: Thanks for your briliant work!!
Greetings from Prague
> (like this:https://vimeo.com/41443896). Besides this, bulb ramping

EmIls Geršinskis Geršinskis

May 11, 2012, 6:17:14 AM5/11/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
How to set Bulb/Focus Ramping ?

Francis Danforth

May 11, 2012, 12:21:39 PM5/11/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
That is correct. New autoexec.bin files will work with all Unified-installed cameras.

Francis Danforth

May 11, 2012, 12:24:12 PM5/11/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Under the shoot menu. Focus ramping only works in Liveview and it will shift focus a preset amount with each exposure. Bulb ramping is more complicated and you should read the calibration instructions on the wikia here.

Stifa

May 11, 2012, 12:24:34 PM5/11/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Why is HDR bracketing making a pause after each bracketed shot ? It is
annoying, in wasnt like that before . right ?

Alex

May 11, 2012, 12:26:41 PM5/11/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
On my 60D, a 9x1 bracket centered on 1/125 is done in 5 seconds.

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 7:24 PM, Stifa <ste...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why is HDR bracketing making a pause after each bracketed shot ? It is
> annoying, in wasnt like that before . right ?

Stifa

May 11, 2012, 12:30:09 PM5/11/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thnx 4 a quick reply,
On my 550D , it goes into 2 second beep and then takes first picture
and then displays it like on the PLAY mode, then after ~2 seconds it
takes another shot and like that in circle... It was like that in
previous update.

Alex

May 11, 2012, 12:32:31 PM5/11/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
That one is auto bracketing, and it needs to look at the pictures ;)

Malcolm Debono

May 11, 2012, 3:58:22 PM5/11/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

I have found a small bug. I have set the camera to view the zoom when I change manual focus. After I switch on the 60D and went to movie mode (ISO + LV), I was shown the 5x zoom immediately. After I moved the focus manually on the camera and the 5x zoom disappeared, there was some error message with one of the built-in cropmarks (if I remember well it was Cinescope) and got Err 70. I tried the above again and the same happened (which is why there are 2 crash logs attached). This only happens when you change focus during the 5x zoom which appears when you enter movie mode. Changing focus after it disappears works perfectly.

Hope this helps. Other than that, great work! :-)
Malcolm
CRASH00.LOG
CRASH01.LOG

Malcolm Debono

May 11, 2012, 4:35:46 PM5/11/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
It's actually worse on the 5D. If I enable the 'zoom on manual focus' feature, it works after enabling it. When you switch off and on live view (either double pressing the LV button, or restarting the camera), you get a black screen with the 5x text only, and it's stuck like that even if you switch off the camera. There is no Err on the top screen, and no crash log is produced. After turning it off (accessed the ML menu while not in live view and switched the feature off), the camera works normally.

Alex

May 12, 2012, 6:26:37 AM5/12/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Looks like the logs are very good for catching hidden bugs. So... time
for the fixes :)

- ML compiles without warnings (credits: Takashi Miyake).
- Logs are now saved silently, without prompting (since they are not
really crashes, just warnings). Still, if you find them on the card,
please send them.
- Startup with 64GB cards should no longer cause trouble. Also,
startup with smaller cards should be faster.
- Zoom on manual focus: I couldn't reproduce any of the two bugs, but
I've moved it to a different task. Please re-test. On 60D, make sure
the cropmarks are compressed.

For FPS on 60D/600D: I've tried to combine the two FPS methods, so now
you can get all the FPS features you had in the old implementation,
plus the new ones. This means:
- timelapse in low light (down to roughly 0.2 fps at 1/fps),
- timelapse in daylight (fast exposures at around 3 fps),
- slight overcranking (34fps),
- exact FPS, slitscan (high jello) mode, FPS fine tuning and so on.

On these two cameras, when you optimize for low light and you
undercrank, ML will use the DIGIC method (which increases shutter
speed at low frame rates). Otherwise, ML will use the
60D/600D-specific method (which does not have the side effect of
increased shutter speed).

FPS needs some thorough testing especially on 600D; I'm not really
sure it's rock solid. In particular, it may have to flip video modes
to apply the changes (they can no longer be applied while recording).

Minor stuff:
- Q button fixed on 600D (confirmed by Scrax).
- on 60D/600D, since Q button does not work while recording, you can
use the INFO button instead (but normally you shouldn't need this).
- LED feedback for bulb timer (for those who use it with main display off).

Warning: I didn't run any real-world test with these changes. Only
tried a few random things and ran the automatic tests. I'm sure there
are still rough edges - they need to be reported so I can fix them.

P.S. Who said ML can't be used for serious stuff? :)
http://twitter.com/#!/jomusset/status/201105577634578433
autoexec.bin

EmIls Geršinskis Geršinskis

May 12, 2012, 11:30:13 AM5/12/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Tnx Alex big fix.
I have some issue about invalometer. You can add on/off bramp ?
It`s sometimes very long calibrating, for the simple light.
>  autoexec.bin
> 2052KViewDownload

scrax

May 12, 2012, 12:27:00 PM5/12/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I noticed that on 600D the INFO button act like Q always, not only during rec. I can still open the help from the complete user guide menu.

Malcolm Debono

May 12, 2012, 4:21:17 PM5/12/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the updated version! Will try it out in the next few days as I'm busy shooting some projects this weekend. Today I have been filming for around 10 hours, and have been using the previous build (the one found in this thread before the update), and I'm pleased to say that I haven't experienced any troubles at all both on the 60D and the 5D. If that doesn't prove that this build is stable, I don't know what else will! :-)

Morgan Look

May 12, 2012, 5:50:09 PM5/12/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Sweet, having the 3x zoom working on the 600D is a nice improvement.

When using DISP+Zoom to enable digital zoom, the KEL and ISO shortcuts are displayed as if you'd pressed DISP on it's own.
This requires a second press of DISP to clear the screen.

Morgan.
> --
> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Morgan Look

May 12, 2012, 7:40:42 PM5/12/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Noticing an issue with Movie mode on both 550D and 600D, using the wheel to adjust shutter speed.
When moving the wheel in one direction (short exposure to longer exposure), it changes value for each click of the wheel (i.e. 1/64<-1/50<-1/42).
But when moving the wheel in the other direction, the first click has no effect, then the second causes it to jump two values (i.e. 1/42->[no change]->1/64).

So to get from 1/42 to 1/50, you have to click the wheel twice in one direction and once in the other direction (1/42->[no change]->1/64<-1/50).

Morgan.

Giovanni Di Cello

May 12, 2012, 8:08:58 PM5/12/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I noticed this bug a few weeks ago and i mailed Alex about it but he had no clue about what could have caused it.

Nicolas Triantafillou

May 13, 2012, 4:59:37 AM5/13/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I noticed one bug on the 5d MKII, when I format the card the progress bar will get to the end, and then the red light indicating the card is being accessed starts flashing, locking up the entire UI until it's done. It appears either the formatting progress bar finishes too early or completes before the formatting is even started.

Cheers,

Nick.

--
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

scrax

May 13, 2012, 5:41:48 PM5/13/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I noticed that it's not working only when exp override is set to on. If set to off scrollwheel works good. Maybe this can help...

scrax

May 13, 2012, 5:45:09 PM5/13/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
(my previous post is related to the 600d issue, not the on of the 5d)

tata

May 13, 2012, 8:00:17 PM5/13/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Morgan,

i get nearly the same on my 550D, it jumps values if i move the wheel
fairly fast.
what if you try moving the wheel slowly?

about the KEL/ISO shortcut : id love to see it displayed temporarily -
the 2nd press to clear that info is not that comfortable. i think a
timer would help here?

anyways, thank you Alex!

Morgan Look

May 13, 2012, 11:27:39 PM5/13/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I was moving the wheel slowly when I noticed the behaviour.

Alex

May 15, 2012, 3:50:47 PM5/15/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
More fixes:
- 64GB cards: ML can now restore itself properly after formatting;
- Refactored exposure override again (should fix issues with
shutter/aperture toggling);
- Disabled all calls to prop_get_value (was found to be unreliable);
- INFO and DISP buttons on 600D/60D should be OK now;
- Fixed conflict between FPS override and photo taking (was visible in
the second stability test after roughly 30 minutes);
- Fixed shutter speed display in NTSC modes (was slightly imprecise
after new FPS override).
- Fixed continuous beep warning with SD monitors (not tested).

More shortcut keys:
- 5D2: push-button WB (WB+SET)
- Added a function to SET besides arrow keys (audio input toggle, push
WB, 180 degree shutter, and brightness/saturation reset).
- On 550D, you can use again the LCD sensor for triggering shortcuts
(but it's disabled by default).
- LV zoom triggers can be configured only for MF mode.

Could not reproduce the format issue on 5D2.

I had an error report for 600D: going from LiveView photo mode (Tv) to
Movie via ISO+LV or via mode remapping (A-DEP) resulted in ERR70.
After clearing Canon settings it works fine. Can you reproduce it?

To be tested thoroughly: HDR bracketing (due to shutter toggle
refactoring). I only took a few 9x1 brackets on 550D and 60D.
autoexec.bin

EmIls Geršinskis Geršinskis

May 15, 2012, 4:29:13 PM5/15/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
super tnx
I like new shortcut keys, you can add shortcut key to photo mode like
wb,iso in LV mode ?

> > --
> >http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

>  autoexec.bin
> 2069KViewDownload

Alex

May 15, 2012, 4:30:42 PM5/15/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I don't see any use for these shortcut keys in photo mode (maybe only
for backlight adjustment).

James Anderson

May 15, 2012, 7:03:33 PM5/15/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I have the 60D and I've been waiting for this. What format does ML run on for 64GB cards. I have the a SanDisk 64GB extreme pro card and when ever I format it in camera and install ML nothing happens. I'm really hoping I'm not missing something other than the proper formatting procedures.

Jakub Šimáček

May 15, 2012, 7:24:21 PM5/15/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Please, add shortcut keys to photo mode, it's very useful mainly for WB correction. And PushWB is one of gratest idea in white ballancing functions, i want this in photo mode, it's really good.
Thanks, Jakub

Dne úterý, 15. května 2012 22:30:42 UTC+2 Alex napsal(a):

>> > --
>> >http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

>>  autoexec.bin
>> 2069KViewDownload
>
> --
> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Alex

May 17, 2012, 3:31:20 PM5/17/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
It probably won't work for first install (Canon limitation); I think
it only restores ML when you already have it on that card and you
format it from the camera.

For first install, use EosCard/MacBoot.
> --
> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

johnwmorton

May 17, 2012, 2:26:14 PM5/17/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Using the current autoexec.bin, with 23.976fps, on a 550d, the closet
to 180 degrees shutter I can get is 1/46.907. Previously, on an older
version of ML, I think I could select 1/48, full 180 degrees. Is this
normal? Should I be able to select 1/48 with the current ML?

> > --
> >http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

>  autoexec.bin
> 2069KViewDownload

Alex

May 17, 2012, 3:41:50 PM5/17/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Previous versions were displaying shutter speed with less accuracy.

EmIls Geršinskis Geršinskis

May 17, 2012, 4:20:06 PM5/17/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
use 1/50

scrax

May 18, 2012, 8:45:08 PM5/18/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Had this log after playing with ISO gain in LV mode (photo). After the crash battery pull needed.

ASSERT: 0
at Evf\EvfState.c:1190

Magic Lantern version : 2012May15.600D101.alex
Mercurial changeset   : 17bf58ce429b+ (unified) tip
Built on 2012-05-15 18:47:21 by alex@thinkpad.

I'll like the wb, iso, tv, av, brightness, sat shortcuts in photos LV too, but a bit changed from how they are now in movie mode.
First M mode:
since we have the scrollwhell for a quick Tv change I suggest to have for the first couple of shortcuts ISO and Av +PushWB, for second Tv and Kel +3rdFlash switch, third same as movie mode.

And also today I had a mad idea to bring back a little of the old school feeling to the photo side of ML.What I se more wasted on my 600D are the 8 totally pointless (for me) automatic modes in the dial.
Testing ISO in photo mode I found that the max we can reach on 600D is 12800 so we have 8 full iso step and 1 auto.
Can't the mode dial be hacked to change each one of the automatic modes (not P) to M mode with a set ISO value?
For example:
A+          -> M 100ISO
NoFlash  -> M 200ISO
CA          -> M 400ISO
PORTR.  -> M 800ISO and so on...
Also M can be set to be AUTO so to have all the options on the dial.

For me this two feat will increase the speed in setting up the camera to take photos.

scrax

May 18, 2012, 9:33:32 PM5/18/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
...forgot one part:

First M mode:
since we have the scrollwhell for a quick Tv change I suggest to have for the first couple of shortcuts ISO and Av +PushWB, for second Tv and Kel +3rdFlash switch, third same as movie mode.
Av, Tv,P Modes:
Only ISO and Kel + Push Wb, and Display like movie mode + 3rdFlash switch instead of Reset.

Also can we add shorcuts to ISObtn+Av or ISObtn+UPbtn like for ISObtn+LVbtn?
So to can add for example:
ISO+UP to HDR braketing switch ON / OFF
ISO+DOWN to Intervallometer switch
ISO+Av to Motion detect

when thinking about what can be ported to scripts I have no clue of what can be done with lua, something that i think can be made with a script is:
CR2toAVI
Vectorscope
Defishing
Motiondetect
PLAYmode some Set+DIAL functions (timelapse play)?
All things in debug menu

And a question about Autoburstquality is possible to chose a set number of consecutive RAW, L, M and so on file to make instead of the actual way of doing it? Because actually is not a lot good on 600D.
Something like a submenu with:
How many
RAW+L :  3
RAW : 4
L : 7
M: inf.
S:-
SKIP: -
this will take 3raw+l 4raw 7l and then will go on with M till card full.

If M instead of ins is set to a number like 20 after 20M pic it will restart from RAW+L (or a lowest value set with SKIP: number of bigger size to skip)
RAW+L :  2
RAW : 5
L : 6
M: 25.
S:0
SKIP: 1
this will thake 2raw+L 5raw 6ll 25m and the will restart skipping the biggest value and taking 5raw and os on

If camera is set to L when burst starts it will act like the previous value (RAW+L & RAW) are already taken so when to M it will skip to what is set.

hope all this make some sense :)

EmIls Geršinskis Geršinskis

May 19, 2012, 1:38:55 AM5/19/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Camera 60d
In ML iso menu i found there in no iso like
250,500,1000,2000,4000,5000.
In Canon 60D there are UNLOCK btn, can you add quick ML custume quick
menu ?

CRASHLOG

ASSERT: GetCurrentState( hStateObject ) == ST_NORMAL_SRM
at SrmActionStorage.c:870

Magic Lantern version : 2012May15.60D110.alex
Mercurial changeset : 17bf58ce429b+ (unified) tip
Built on 2012-05-15 19:13:49 by alex@thinkpad.

ASSERT: FALSE
at SoundDevice\SoundDevice_CODEC.c:1048

Magic Lantern version : 2012May15.60D110.alex
Mercurial changeset : 17bf58ce429b+ (unified) tip
Built on 2012-05-15 19:13:49 by alex@thinkpad.

ASSRTLOG

ML ASSERT:
lv
at ../../src/shoot.c:3145 (bramp_measure_luma)

Magic Lantern version : 2012May15.60D110.alex
Mercurial changeset : 17bf58ce429b+ (unified) tip
Built on 2012-05-15 19:13:49 by alex@thinkpad.

EmIls Geršinskis Geršinskis

May 19, 2012, 2:00:58 AM5/19/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
also
Im using Trap focus but Focus Patterns don`t work.
Cant select any custume patern.
And a have some issue about MovieModeRemap : C Mode. It`s make defult
1280x720 always, when i restart my camera or go to photo mode to Movie
mode. But i want set my defult 1920x1080!

On May 19, 8:38 am, EmIls Geršinskis Geršinskis <psihodr...@gmail.com>

Michal Fapšo

May 19, 2012, 4:15:42 AM5/19/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks for this update Alex. On my 600D going from LiveView photo mode
(Tv) to Movie via mode remapping (A-DEP) works fine.

Nicolas Triantafillou

May 19, 2012, 5:09:46 AM5/19/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

Could not reproduce the format issue on 5D2.

Not a critical issue by any means, but I made a video to show what was happening on mine: https://vimeo.com/42447561

scrax

May 19, 2012, 11:05:59 AM5/19/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
On 600D they work but you need to have lens in AF and display off in photo mode to change focus patterns,once set I can use them with Trap Focus in MF but if shutter/AE lock is set to AE lock/AF in C.Fn. sometime after a pic you need to alternate halfshutter and AE lock press to make it work again, looks like after getting a pic with TF pressing only AElock will not trigger the focus confirmation anymore.

chungdha

May 23, 2012, 7:20:08 PM5/23/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I have this crash several times on multiple builds from the latest
updates, I film with my 550d for a while when I change battery and
film again, it will automatically stop recording after a few seconds
and freeze. On the card will have the last footage but will be missing
thm file and also after that it will keep freezing up and am forced to
use another sd card and that solves the prob only till I need to
change battery again.
>  autoexec.bin
> 2052KViewDownload

Alex

May 24, 2012, 2:14:46 AM5/24/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Are you sure your cards are OK, formatted from camera, and bitrate is
set to 1x? Do you shutdown the camera properly or you only open the
battery door?

I've tried setting bitrate at 3x, movie restart, recorded until
filling the card (around 100 clips in 2 GB), and changing battery
every now and then. Still could not reproduce any freezing.

How to reproduce the problem? Does it happen with plain Canon firmware?

James Anderson

May 25, 2012, 9:01:13 AM5/25/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for pointing me in that direction, Alex. You saved my investment!

EmIls Geršinskis Geršinskis

May 25, 2012, 9:40:12 AM5/25/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Trap focus don`t work when i use "Sticky DOF Preview"

On May 25, 4:01 pm, James Anderson <emaila...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thank you for pointing me in that direction, Alex. You saved my investment!
>

> On Friday, May 18, 2012 4:31:20 AM UTC+9, Alex wrote:
>
> > It probably won't work for first install (Canon limitation); I think
> > it only restores ML when you already have it on that card and you
> > format it from the camera.
>
> > For first install, use EosCard/MacBoot.
>
> > On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:03 AM, James Anderson <emaila...@yahoo.com>
> > > ml-devel+u...@googlegroups.com

scrax

May 25, 2012, 10:05:26 AM5/25/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I think it never worked, maybe because the camera can't detect focus when not at full aperture

mohan manu

May 25, 2012, 10:30:16 AM5/25/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Alex i have the same problem as chungdha. It occurs only if you put other battery after one battery has drained. Not putting the same battery on my Canon 550d

Alex

May 25, 2012, 11:41:00 AM5/25/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
When the battery drains, does the camera shutdown normally (with the
red battery warning) or it simply turns off without showing anything?

In the second case, it probably doesn't finish saving the file, and
you end up with a corrupted file system. A bad battery can cause this.

Alex

May 26, 2012, 8:13:27 AM5/26/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Just found out the 720p mistery on 60D: in C mode, Canon firmware also
saves and restores movie settings. So, to make 1080p the default, go
to normal movie mode (without remap), select it there, then go back to
photo mode M and register your settings to custom mode (Canon menu:
camera user settings).

After that, the C mode remapped to movie will always enable 1080p by default.

Trap focus and focus patterns are working well on my 60D.

daniel thissen

May 26, 2012, 11:30:18 AM5/26/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hola a todo el mundo .
Quisiera saber si se puede implementar la grabación en buffer ( grabación previa al momento de apretar rec).
Es muy útil para el registro de animales donde no se tiene control de la escena.
Espero que no sea un tema discutido previamente.
Saludos cordiales .
PD: disculpen que escriba en español pero no me da el ingles un sábado en la mañana.

Neil Camara

May 26, 2012, 5:32:38 PM5/26/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

Does this firmware contain Motion Capture?

Thanks a lot!

Neil

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Alex <broscu...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Ron

May 26, 2012, 10:35:05 PM5/26/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Got it working. Please ignore my earlier email.

I have a question regarding bulb ramping. Does it really take a shot
at the different exposures everytime? One shot is expore well but the
other shots are so bright.

Alex

May 27, 2012, 12:53:41 AM5/27/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
First few shots may have wrong exposure - this is normal. But the
others should be OK.

Is the playback mode view set to fullscreen? ML needs this to be able
to meter the pictures.

Neil Camara

May 28, 2012, 12:30:16 PM5/28/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Quick question Alex. Is it possible to do bulb timer and silent shot at the same time? When I do star trails on my 50D, I use an external intervalometer. I set my lens to f2.8, iso 1200 or lesser and bulb on camera. Then on intervalometer, I set the delay to 15-18seconds then another 2 second before it takes another picture. However, this increases my shutter count.

Thanks!
Message has been deleted

scrax

May 29, 2012, 1:23:06 AM5/29/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure but you can do it in post merging 8 2s silent pics.

OrhCh

May 30, 2012, 10:45:28 AM5/30/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if these are bug logs, but here they are.
The ASSERT00.LOG appeared after I shot a clip with FPS override.

Greetings

On Tuesday, 15 May 2012 22:50:47 UTC+3, Alex wrote:
[...]

ASSERT00.LOG
LOG000.LOG

pavelpp

Jun 4, 2012, 12:54:40 AM6/4/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
On my 550d, Auto ISO does not work in LV anymore. Works with LV off.

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 5:35 AM, Ron <onie....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Got it working. Please ignore my earlier email.
>
> I have a question regarding bulb ramping. Does it really take a shot
> at the different exposures everytime? One shot is expore well but the
> other shots are so bright.
>
> --
> http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Craig WM Cooper

Jun 5, 2012, 5:37:52 AM6/5/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
To the group,

Is there a way to turn off the camera generating SH files when shooting
bracketing shots. I think "Enfuse" uses them.

Craig

eggnot

Jun 13, 2012, 6:39:52 AM6/13/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
small crashlog
CRASH00.LOG

NedB

Jun 26, 2012, 8:34:02 AM6/26/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Dear Alex,

Here are some crash reports I've gathered from two crash events. I can't say I see any common denominator between what I was doing at the time and the crash. I hope these help anyway. Please let me know if there is somewhere else I should send these or a different kind of reporting I should do.

Best,

Ned Barth
CRASH39.zip
CrashReports.zip

eggnot

Jul 15, 2012, 1:18:10 PM7/15/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
more crashes
crashes_2012_07_15.zip

Alex

Jul 15, 2012, 1:25:04 PM7/15/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
For everyone who submitted testing feedback or made any other kind of
contribution (patches, tutorials...): please register on
www.magiclantern.fm and send me a PM to get the latest updates.