Night Vision Test Video

嚴煜安

Oct 10, 2011, 11:29:54 AM10/10/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Thanks Alex

Night Vision works great

I have made a short video with Night Vision mode

Canon 550d super low light video recoding with Magic Lantern

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E94nhjqSvPk

Alex

Oct 10, 2011, 2:24:50 PM10/10/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Nice. What would be interesting to see is a video at ISO 6400, without
display gain, but boosted in post, compared to one recorded at ISO
409600 equivalent.

You can also try some temporal denoising here. Maybe Frame Merger from
the other thread ( http://bit.ly/frame-merger ) will help.

James Donnelly

Oct 10, 2011, 5:03:32 PM10/10/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I already did a related test, but since my subject matter was hugely un-interesting, and purely to compare the noise, I didn't bother posting

To my surprise, the EV boost does seem to yield better results than boosting in post.  The noise prior to neat video is less course, and responds better to de-noising (neat video), especially the chroma noise, so I have now confirmed for myself that it is a worthwhile feature.

These shots were taken with a dim lamp at f/11.  Obviously I'm trying to create a really noisy shot.  I only went to 1EV because I'm interested in a slight boost for now.

First, a 1EV boost:

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-j0hc8wNN9Gs/TpNTCK-CljI/AAAAAAAACfo/v1Vc9UrTah0/s800/plus%2525201%252520EV.png

And with a boost in post (Sony Vegas 10 Brightness/Contrast plugin):

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-beh0yRAd14s/TpNTBjisG-I/AAAAAAAACfk/PloBKlgtZmo/s800/boosted%252520in%252520post.png

I hope these shots are slightly better than useless.

--
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

Brian Berneker

Oct 11, 2011, 9:40:03 AM10/11/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I wonder if the Cinestyle color profile would yield any better
results.
It's specifically designed to provide more detail in shadows and
highlights, which, aside from sensor grain should help.

Brian

On Oct 10, 5:03 pm, James Donnelly <jamesjdonne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I already did a related test, but since my subject matter was hugely
> un-interesting, and purely to compare the noise, I didn't bother posting
>
> To my surprise, the EV boost does seem to yield better results than boosting
> in post.  The noise prior to neat video is less course, and responds better
> to de-noising (neat video), especially the chroma noise, so I have now
> confirmed for myself that it is a worthwhile feature.
>
> These shots were taken with a dim lamp at f/11.  Obviously I'm trying to
> create a really noisy shot.  I only went to 1EV because I'm interested in a
> slight boost for now.
>
> First, a 1EV boost:
>
> http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-j0hc8wNN9Gs/TpNTCK-CljI/AAAAAAAACfo...
>
> And with a boost in post (Sony Vegas 10 Brightness/Contrast plugin):
>
> https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-beh0yRAd14s/TpNTBjisG-I/AAAAAAAACf...
>
> I hope these shots are slightly better than useless.
>
> On 10 October 2011 19:24, Alex <broscutama...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Nice. What would be interesting to see is a video at ISO 6400, without
> > display gain, but boosted in post, compared to one recorded at ISO
> > 409600 equivalent.
>
> > You can also try some temporal denoising here. Maybe Frame Merger from
> > the other thread (http://bit.ly/frame-merger) will help.

Matt Dennie

Oct 11, 2011, 2:49:59 PM10/11/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
When I shoot at night I use cinestyle because of the increased shadow detail. I like the low contrast for night so I usually just leave it like that.

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Oct 14, 2011, 12:37:35 AM10/14/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I am quite sorry for the too basic question, but how do I adjust display gain to use this night vision?

Ok, I remember the "Please don't ask us how to change ISO in video mode" but I really couldn't find it :( in fact I adjusted the ISO, but think I am missing the display gain...

Cheers,

Carlos E G Carvalho (Cartola)
http://cartola.org/360

Alex

Oct 14, 2011, 1:09:25 AM10/14/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Step 1: click here: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/UserGuide
Step 2: type "night vision" in your browser's search box

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Oct 14, 2011, 5:29:52 AM10/14/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I've seen that, but the last step "To get the equivalent of ISO 25600 (for example), you need to increase display gain by +2EV. " I don't know how to increase display gain. And I have searched a lot before asking. Maybe I am a little sleepy, but I might be sleepy for four days so :)

I have already searched the wiki page, on itself, on google using "site:..." and not using it, searched the list archives (a lot), searched around the vimeo comunity, searched around as a native canon function, tested many buttons aleatory on the camera. Believe me, I am an advanced Unix user and developer. I usually RTFM, but I am not discovering it. Possibly I am not using right words (I am not a native English), but I thought after 4 days searching it was already time to ask without telling my sad searching steps  :)

Thanks,

Carlos E G Carvalho (Cartola)
http://cartola.org/360

James Donnelly

Oct 14, 2011, 5:52:15 AM10/14/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
I know how you feel!

Have you looked in the tweaks menu?  I think it's in the debug menu on mine, but I have an older build at the moment.

You're looking for 'LVGain'.  If it's not there in tweaks or debug, maybe you don't have it in your build?  It is a fairly new feature.

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Oct 14, 2011, 5:55:54 AM10/14/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm, I see. I guess am using the 22 Aug version on a T2i, ...

I'll try latter, must go to work now.

Thanks!

Carlos E G Carvalho (Cartola)
http://cartola.org/360

Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Oct 14, 2011, 7:12:25 AM10/14/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
That´s it. Some probably already knew when I mentioned my version. I am at work now without my camera, but a friend here brought his T3i with a newer version (Oct 7th) and the LVGain is there at the Tweak menu.

Thanks,

Carlos E G Carvalho (Cartola)
http://cartola.org/360

moebius event

Oct 15, 2011, 8:05:39 PM10/15/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
yes mi amigo i have same build, not in it
gracias

On 14 October 2011 20:25, Carlos Eduardo G. Carvalho (Cartola)

Andrew Coutts

Oct 18, 2011, 10:10:26 AM10/18/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
I have uploaded a test video of this using the 500d / Rebel T1i:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUo4Ba1IB6s

Working on porting the new v1.1.1 firmware to the unified tree to get
the 500d back in the game :)