3rd party flashes in LiveView

Alex

Jan 19, 2012, 12:29:53 PM1/19/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Here's a trick which should enable third party flashes in LiveView in Rebel cameras.

How to use this:
- Enable it from Shoot menu (advanced mode)
- Go to LiveView
- Press the shutter button **gently** to take a picture. If you are nervous, it won't work :)

How it should work:
- When you press the shutter halfway, it will exit LiveView temporarily
- When you fully press the shutter, it will take the picture
- When you release the shutter, it will go back to LiveView.

This is not really friendly with the shutter count, but it should work.

As far as I know, this problem affects the 550D, 600D and maybe 500D. So this function is only enabled on these 3 cameras. I've only tried it on 550D, without any flash.

More info here (actually it was requested many times): http://vimeo.com/groups/magiclantern/forumthread:244149

autoexec.bin

moebius event

Jan 20, 2012, 6:03:01 AM1/20/12
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
thanks alex, will check this out!

lightimages

Jan 20, 2012, 12:58:56 PM1/20/12
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Did you get the test you requested on Vimeo 4 months ago? If not, I
have a 550 and the "bulky, overpriced top-of-the line Canon flash", so
I can run the test for you.

"a1ex 4 months ago
Good hint. I've tried changing the silent mode setting ("stolen" from
60D) but it has no effect.

Can you run property spy while attaching an E-TTL II flash to the hot
shoe?

Use this autoexec (compiled in debug mode): dl.dropbox.com/u/4124919/
debug/autoexec.bin

You should get a screen which looks like this: youtube.com/watch?
v=yL8bywXKTTE

Record the screen with a second camera, both in LiveView and outside
LiveView, and insert/remove the flash a few times.

Those numbers will tell me which settings are being changed in the
camera."