magic lantern running from a ExFAT card

indy arm

Jan 8, 2011, 11:14:25 AM1/8/11
to ml-devel
Hi,

Here is an -open source- and -working solution- to run Magic Lantern on a ExFAT formatted disk.

Tested on Sandisk 8Go Extreme III formatted under Win7.
make_bootable.sh and exfat_sum.c tested under Ubuntu 10.04 with VmWare Workstation 7.

Indy
(PS: Delphi can be disassembled using DeDe : http://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Debuggers-Decompilers-Dissasemblers/DeDe.shtml)
exfat_sum.c
make_bootable.sh

pel

Jan 9, 2011, 10:00:09 AM1/9/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com

Thank you.

There are typos in the comment.

"  # write VBR checksum (from sector 0 to sector 11) at offset 5632 (sector 12) and sector 24 (sector 24, for backup VBR)"

The exFAT volume structure is:

sector 0-sector 11 Primary VBR

(sector 0- sector 8 boot parameters, sector 9 OEM parameters, sector 10 reserved, sector 11 primary VBR hash)

sector 12-sector 23 Backup VBR (sector 12-sector 23, same structure as primary VBR)

So you have to calculate the checksum from sector 0-10 and write to sector 11 and sector 23 for backup VBR.

regards,

pel

--
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/

indy arm

Jan 9, 2011, 1:39:54 PM1/9/11
to ml-devel
right Pel.
here is a cleaned version.

anyone had tested this an ExFAT card ?

Indy

2011/1/8 indy arm <arm.i...@gmail.com>
exfat_sum.c
make_bootable.sh

lichtjaar

Jan 12, 2011, 10:12:12 PM1/12/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
AAhhg I'm getting headachs attachments. of this stuff...
and still 'card not accesseble'

perhaps someone else can look at it?

Here is my version: blablabla ouch! (sorry)

No more .c file needed thanks to tail -47
checks for root rights
and (/dev/sdc1 for example) parameter is now a must.

make_bootable3.sh

lichtjaar

Jan 12, 2011, 10:36:09 PM1/12/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
BTW, exFAT stores volume label in the root directory (entry of type
0x83), not in the boot sector.

arm.indy

Jan 14, 2011, 4:00:28 PM1/14/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
lichtjaar,

does it work for you ?

Indy

lars heijdeman

Jan 15, 2011, 1:15:16 AM1/15/11
to ml-d...@googlegroups.com
NO it works just like my first attempt (on a 64 GB card formatted in camera)

and still 'card not accesseble'

 I'm back to my 16GB for now
Even, that it now does the vbr checksum thingie and runs the checksum .c file recomputing stuff
I have asked the maker of the open source exfat implementation, although he has no 550d he says were doing every thing right.

BTW, exFAT stores volume label in the root directory (entry of type
0x83), not in the boot sector.
Are there any 64GB cards working on ML?

PS recording bigger than 4GB has nothing to do whether the 550d have 32bit CPU/code. Because exfat is also a 32 bit file system.

I also have the possibility to test a canon fish-eye. can run several debug tests

arm.indy

Jan 16, 2011, 11:23:58 AM1/16/11
to Magic Lantern firmware development
Lars,

I tried again with another 8Go card formatted under Win7 as ExFAT
(verified 3 times)

and I have just been able to run this Alex's ML :
magiclantern-2011Jan13.550d.fw109.NoAudioMon.silent.alex.zip

using 'autoboot' method (autoexec.bin), not 'update' method
(magiclantern.fir).

anyone else tried ?

my card is prepared under Ubuntu 10.04 with
gcc exfat_sum.c -o exfat_sum
sudo ./make_bootable /dev/sdc1

Indy