HTML 5 video and Mises.org

David Veksler

Jul 7, 2010, 6:31:08 PM7/7/10
to MisesTech, Mises.org Development
Back in May (http://blog.mises.org/12652/mises-media-now-available-on-the-ipad/) I announced that I had added HTML 5 video support to Mises.org.  Browsers capable of playing MP4 video (currently just Safari and Chrome) will see an HTML 5 player when it's available on Mises.org  Internet Explorer will support HTML5 video when IE9 comes out later this year.

There are two issues with the possibility of moving all media to HTML 5:
  • Firefox and Opera do not and will not support MP4.
  • Not all the media on Mises.org is in MP4 format (note: IE9, Safari, and possible Chrome will play Windows Media if the codec is installed)
There are two possible solutions:
  • Use ffmpeg to create WebM copies of all videos
  • Use IIS Media Services 4.0, which support <video> MP4 streaming (which probably also requires creating Smooth Streaming version of media)

It would be nice if someone investigated these options.

More:

rmcc4444

Jul 7, 2010, 7:29:01 PM7/7/10
to mise...@googlegroups.com
David,

My experience with development is to wait a while before implementing new versions of anything.  At a minimum, I would wait for IE and Firefox have been tested with HTML 5 and support it.